News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Far cheaper and less disrupted to build the centre platform now and add the 2nd track later. If you build only side platforms, still have to have a tunnel under both tracks than the one track with a centre one.

Would the ridership come close down the road requiring side platforms along with the centre one?? Don't think so.

Still like to see twin elevators for any platform. You could run a branch tunnel off the main tunnel to the station to do it.

The way I see the work for the platform will start with work taking place on the eastside and then install the 2nd track. Trains will then move to the 2nd track to allow the building of the connection to the station.

Hopefully something can be done when the track expansion is done.

Id love to see this layout

(Old Elm)--(Stouffville)--(Mount Joy)--(Markham)--(Centennial)--(Unionville)--------------------------------------------------(Kennedy)-----------------------------------------------------------(Union)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(Unionville)--(Milliken)--(Finch)--(Agincourt)--(Kennedy)--(Scarborough)--(Danforth)--(Uniliver)--(Union)
I'd imagine this would become easier once the SRT is no longer in service and that ROW can be repurposed to widen the Stouffville corridor.

According to CartoMetro.com, the plan seems to be for an island platform (or at least was). I seriously doubt that they would only service one track on the line.
A lot of the future GO platform arrangements shown on Carto Metro are completely inconsistent with the actual plans. For example they show side platforms for Liberty Village station while Metrolinx has been showing island platforms. And Carto Metro is missing the track for the Milton line through that station.

A lot of the future GO platform arrangements shown on Carto Metro are completely inconsistent with the actual plans. For example they show side platforms for Liberty Village station while Metrolinx has been showing island platforms. And Carto Metro is missing the track for the Milton line through that station.
CartoMetro is only updated every couple of years at best, so a lot of the plans shown on it are based off previous iterations (stations like Liberty Village have had their plans changed many times). That's why I added the "(or at least was)" to my comment, since its entirely possible that the plans for Caledonia have changed in the last couple of years, and CartoMetro hasn't updated it yet.

CartoMetro is only updated every couple of years at best, so a lot of the plans shown on it are based off previous iterations (stations like Liberty Village have had their plans changed many times). That's why I added the "(or at least was)" to my comment, since its entirely possible that the plans for Caledonia have changed in the last couple of years, and CartoMetro hasn't updated it yet.
WlX7P96GBE.JPG

rp2HJMfXZI.JPG

y5pUZADoHO.JPG

tacinTkboM.JPG

digging through the UT archives this is what it currently looks like. well see if it holds up

On a trip on LSE this morning, I observed construction crews assembling.a substantial number of track panels complete with concrete ties, in lay down spaces around Scarborough Jct. I don’t know if this is for planned replacement of existing trackage - not much grading complete yet to install as new track, but a fair length is being assembled overall.

While it will be years to get everything done, I must say - the pace of progress along the LSE between Cherry Street and Scarborough Jct is pretty impressive. Lots of crews at work - and visible completion of lengths of retaining walls, bridge abutments, and even subgrade grading.

East of Scarborough Jct, however - not much getting done with respect to previously announced grade seps etc.

One thing at a time, I guess.

- Paul

Last edited:
Ramp from where to where? Isn't it a centre platform?
It could be what they did for the Barrie Station which where side platforms as well Bronte.

The photo from what I know of the area is north of the station or part of the tunnel under the tracks. If this part of the tunnel, it removes the needs for an elevator at the ends, but not the platforms. The only way you could do it for the centre platform is to remove the stairs and put in ramp only which is a good idea as long the ramp has a melting system in it as well cover.

Missed capturing it, but about half a km of the Breslau double track seems graded and about ready for track installation. I noticed of the delivered materials they are using wooden rail ties here.

The rest of the section has most of its prep work finished, retaining walls and creek pass throughs.

PXL_20230630_155124231.jpg

Bonus shot of Guelph GO.

PXL_20230629_020020167.NIGHT.jpg

Missed capturing it, but about half a km of the Breslau double track seems graded and about ready for track installation. I noticed of the delivered materials they are using wooden rail ties here.

The rest of the section has most of its prep work finished, retaining walls and creek pass throughs.

Sorry to be the downer, but that sure doesn't look ready for track to me. Earth hasn't been levelled, subgrade hasn't been laid and that culvert doesn't appear to go anywhere.

It's a start, but only the end of the beginning.

- Paul

Sorry to be the downer, but that sure doesn't look ready for track to me. Earth hasn't been levelled, subgrade hasn't been laid and that culvert doesn't appear to go anywhere.

It's a start, but only the end of the beginning.

- Paul

That photo shows the unlevelled section which has been at about the same progress for a while, the section I'm talking about isn't what I got to capture, but from what I could tell the subgrade is done for 500 meters or so.

That photo shows the unlevelled section which has been at about the same progress for a while, the section I'm talking about isn't what I got to capture, but from what I could tell the subgrade is done for 500 meters or so.

That's encouraging....but.... if it's not done end to end, then it's not ready for track. Laying half the track doesn't make the siding operable.

- Paul

Back