News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Guess Metrolinx hasn't updated their signs, the crossings not opening until...wait for it....2014!
Kind of a big delay even for a transit project.

http://www.gotransit.com/gts/en/docs/20120329_WTD_Extended_Hours_EN.pdf

They updated the 2011 date to the 2012, but not the 2014 date.

It was said at the last fall community meeting by the residents that this road would not open until 2013 and based on the current web posting, they were right. Metrolinx did say they would do their best to get the road open as soon as possible.

Guess Metrolinx hasn't updated their signs, the crossings not opening until...wait for it....2014!
Kind of a big delay even for a transit project.

http://www.gotransit.com/gts/en/docs/20120329_WTD_Extended_Hours_EN.pdf

If you took the time to read the background info, you wouldn't make that kind of remark.

It was always scheduled that the road would be closed from about the middle of this year until early-to-middle of 2014. It's kind of tough to run cars through an active excavation, after all....

What was delayed was the reopening of the road after they ran the piles through. It got to the point where they just didn't bother to reopen it. The project as a whole is (surprisingly) still within a month or two of schedule.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

If you took the time to read the background info, you wouldn't make that kind of remark.

It was always scheduled that the road would be closed from about the middle of this year until early-to-middle of 2014. It's kind of tough to run cars through an active excavation, after all....

What was delayed was the reopening of the road after they ran the piles through. It got to the point where they just didn't bother to reopen it. The project as a whole is (surprisingly) still within a month or two of schedule.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That people have the impression that the West Toronto Diamond grade separation project isn't proceeding on schedule is understandable considering that Metrolinx has failed for at least the second consecutive time to reopen the road based on their signage. It's an important road connection for the area, relieving car congestion on St. Clair Avenue West and Keele Street and providing a critical link for cyclists to Davenport (a street with bike lanes connecting with downtown) and an access point to the West Toronto Railpath. Without it, cyclists may need to take congested Keele or St. Clair, which are less safe routes. Perhaps Metrolinx should provide a pedestrian/cyclist connection through the construction site if they plan on closing this road for years and not sticking to their reopening schedules.

That people have the impression that the West Toronto Diamond grade separation project isn't proceeding on schedule is understandable considering that Metrolinx has failed for at least the second consecutive time to reopen the road based on their signage. It's an important road connection for the area, relieving car congestion on St. Clair Avenue West and Keele Street and providing a critical link for cyclists to Davenport (a street with bike lanes connecting with downtown) and an access point to the West Toronto Railpath. Without it, cyclists may need to take congested Keele or St. Clair, which are less safe routes. Perhaps Metrolinx should provide a pedestrian/cyclist connection through the construction site if they plan on closing this road for years and not sticking to their reopening schedules.

I'm not going to argue with you about the importance of the road, because I know that you're right - it is an important link, and I think it's frankly quite disappointing that they have not been able to reopen it. I am quite curious however how you think they should open up a pedestrian/cyclist connection through the site.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Here are a few pictures from today of construction at Guelph Go Station.

IMG_20120419_160322.jpg

IMG_20120419_160300.jpg

The canopies for the buses are almost all installed. City buses will start operating out of the station May 6th, with GO buses following later this summer. Greyhound buses won't be moving until later, once renovations are finished inside the VIA station building. Those can't begin until the federal government finalizes the sale of the station to the city of Guelph.
IMG_20120419_160048.jpg

Construction on the overpass is supposed to be finished by May 6th as well, after which the tracks can be shifted back and the rest of the platform opened.

I'm not going to argue with you about the importance of the road, because I know that you're right - it is an important link, and I think it's frankly quite disappointing that they have not been able to reopen it. I am quite curious however how you think they should open up a pedestrian/cyclist connection through the site.

Since there's going to be a trench excavated, perhaps using a temporary bridge.

Here are a few pictures from today of construction at Guelph Go Station.

Thanks for the update. This will become a very important multi-modal station. Are there signs they are building the pedestrian underpass at this point? I'm curious if they are going to need to shift the steam engine further back in order to build the south platform or if there will be enough space for pedestrians to get by where it is.

I have to say, I'm loving the look of all of these GO improvements. The stations are modest, nicely designed, and look quite functional. They have an elegant simplicity to them. Utilitarian in some cases, but still with enough design features to not appear stagnant and lifeless.

Are there signs they are building the pedestrian underpass at this point? I'm curious if they are going to need to shift the steam engine further back in order to build the south platform or if there will be enough space for pedestrians to get by where it is.

There's not much actual construction, but a building on the site of the kiss and ride, and south tunnel entrance was demolished earlier this year. The tunnel is supposed to be finished by the end of the year. The locomotive won't need to be moved to build the south platform.

I have to say, I'm loving the look of all of these GO improvements. The stations are modest, nicely designed, and look quite functional. They have an elegant simplicity to them. Utilitarian in some cases, but still with enough design features to not appear stagnant and lifeless.

I think they could generally use some more design attention. In many cases they don't need that much, but the ubiquitous poured concrete and asphalt for platforms is rather generic. So is the lighting. I've also seen new pedestrian tunnels at rail stations whose unfinished concrete interiors are broken up only by conduits on the walls and advertising. Look at the landscaping in that photo of the Guelph GO Station bus platform area. It's one tree in a see of concrete. Only the shelter is decent. I can see the elegance in simplicity aesthetic they're going for, but to avoid spaces that feel sterile and generic, they should invest more in finishes, landscaping, and possibly integrate art into the stations.

Thanks for the pics- good to see some investment in GO transit in different areas around Ontario.

Thanks for the pics, drum. With the combined bus and train station and limestone rowhouses in the back, Guelph looks vaguely European.

Back