News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I mean, a good portion of the plan will happen as a part of the GO RER project. It's the extra stations/corridors where CN/CP owns the tracks that would take a lot longer to do.
I'm not so confident: even the central stations (as planned) don't have the connectivity being proposed.

An excellent report and is essentially saying that the main RER sections will effectively become subway-lite systems.

Noteworthy that they recommend, for RER, single level trains with 3 doors on each side and level boarding so passenger flow is optimised and allows for quick entry/exit like a subway does. It also states that for newer or outer area services that don't have catenary wires, batteries trains would be ideal. Funny how I have consistently stated that battery/catenary single level trains would be the best option.

I REALLY hate to say I told you so, but..........................

An excellent report and is essentially saying that the main RER sections will effectively become subway-lite systems.

Noteworthy that they recommend, for RER, single level trains with 3 doors on each side and level boarding so passenger flow is optimised and allows for quick entry/exit like a subway does. It also states that for newer or outer area services that don't have catenary wires, batteries trains would be ideal. Funny how I have consistently stated that battery/catenary single level trains would be the best option.

You deserve a ribbon and a participation sticker.

No one ever disagreed with you.

1617052410679.png

Is this reconfiguration of Union possible? How would it even be done? Anyone have a platform level layout?

Judging from the reconstruction of London Bridge Station to get the wide platform and double track layout

1617054317130.png

The Concourse columns would have to go from this
1617054388728.png

to this
1617054351175.png

It probably could be done but knowing Ontario construction would take 20 years.

1617054388728.png
The main focus of this photo isn't even the concourse; it's the Food Court. The 4 escalators in the photo don't even go to the platform. All the concourse to platform access in the York Concourse are all tiny circular stairs and elevators. Replacing them with proper straight escalators would be essential for electrified frequent service. Am I correct here?

I doubt we'll get many of those newly proposed extra stations even where Metrolinx does own everything.
Just look at the stations that have been cut from the current RER project. TBOT is proposing more stations, while Metrolinx is giving us less, and I highly doubt that will change since the people running the show both at ML and the Province are stuck in a North American mentality in regards to transit planning.

View attachment 308843

Is this reconfiguration of Union possible? How would it even be done? Anyone have a platform level layout?
I see a lot has change in 14 years regarding stations for Cherry St. When we did the EA for Cherry St redesign and streetcar line as well look at the extension to the Portland, Metrolinx was only looking at a few platforms and the RH line wasn't going to stop there. I thought it was dumb not having RH trains stopping there to have access to the Portland than going to Union.

There was never any indications there were to be stations at Sherbourne since the feeling of Metrolinx that the stations at Cherry St would slow service down. Don't see those stations taking pressure off Union.

Metrolinx saw trains ending at Spadina which was a big issue for everyone as it required longer travel time to get to Union and the city core.

The corridor for the Weston Sub was to be 8 tracks, built that way and then 4 at the Barrie/Milton split. This plan is saying only 6 tracks will be use in place of the 2 for Barrie, 2 for Milton and 4 for KW/airport. From the Split to Bramalea, the corridor is to be 4 tracks with most of it in place. I guess building the 4 track tunnel for the West Toronto Diamond Grade Separation was a waste of time and money.

In time which is now, that 5th Lakeshore W line will be needed along with a 6th to Willowbrook area and then 4 to Aldershot/Burlington.

The main focus of this photo isn't even the concourse; it's the Food Court. The 4 escalators in the photo don't even go to the platform. All the concourse to platform access in the York Concourse are all tiny circular stairs and elevators. Replacing them with proper straight escalators would be essential for electrified frequent service. Am I correct here?
That's probably true, but those columns are the ones holding up the tracks. If you wanted to go with wider platforms and have two tracks next to each other like the report suggests, then it would require those columns to be doubled and/or another complete overhaul of the concourse.

Unfortunately, from what I remember the Spadina RER station is only supposed to support Barrie trains no?

In the near term, yes. Adding platforms for other lines (like LakeShore or Kitchener) probably requires shifting the flyover to another location.

The most interesting feature of the Spadina GO stop is the roof (a section of the Rail Deck Park).

Last edited:

I seem to recall you saying we should use hydrogen to avoid the unsightly catenary wires. I don't think anyone was disputing the idea of catenary in the central area and potentially battery beyond.

^^ I have always stated that battery was my preferred option.

The problem is that it may not even matter what anybody thinks. Even if everyone, everywhere decided the single level trains were the best option, it won't make any difference if the 3 remaining bidders are only proposing double-deck trains.

Judging from the reconstruction of London Bridge Station to get the wide platform and double track layout

View attachment 308845

View attachment 308847
to this
View attachment 308846

It probably could be done but knowing Ontario construction would take 20 years.
You don't actually need to change the columns, you need to do some cantilevers, which already exist at Union iirc. It will still be a lot of work though.

Back