News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

You know, I wonder how does GO handle yard switching? I see that often times they just take an F59 or rarely an MP54 and use it as a yard switcher but is there any sort of planning in place to determine what will be a yard switcher and for how long?
Congratulations on starting page 100 of the thread!

As far as I know and could be wrong on the car number, 2522 had a small fire on it it today with the fire department dealing with it at Port Credit GO Station on an eastbound train.. 3 Peel Police vehicles and and an ML Special Constable offices on site as well.

Riders where transfer to another eastbound train on track 2.

You know, I wonder how does GO handle yard switching? I see that often times they just take an F59 or rarely an MP54 and use it as a yard switcher but is there any sort of planning in place to determine what will be a yard switcher and for how long?
They use whatever they have available. The crews prefer the F59s because of the front platform, but if an MP40 is what is available, that is what they will use.

For a while they were doing their best to keep an F59 available for switching, but currently there is no actual preference to the power planners.

As far as I know and could be wrong on the car number, 2522 had a small fire on it it today with the fire department dealing with it at Port Credit GO Station on an eastbound train.. 3 Peel Police vehicles and and an ML Special Constable offices on site as well.

Riders where transfer to another eastbound train on track 2.

I don't have a car number, but it was the accessible coach on train 1014. A passenger started the fire while in the bathroom.

Dan

They use whatever they have available. The crews prefer the F59s because of the front platform, but if an MP40 is what is available, that is what they will use.

For a while they were doing their best to keep an F59 available for switching, but currently there is no actual preference to the power planners.

I don't have a car number, but it was the accessible coach on train 1014. A passenger started the fire while in the bathroom.

Dan
According to WIKI, 2522 is an accessibility car built in 2003. Everyone was camp outside of it. Saw no one being being held over the fire unless they were out of sight as ML and Peel police were talking to others on site and no one in a vehicle on site.

Dan
Why did they used to have dedicated switchers and now we don't?

Is it the Alstom crews that do the switching or just another 3rd party like the shop guys

My understanding is that some classifications of shop personnel will move equipment within the yard, but movements that leave the yard onto the main line are performed by Running Trades who are rules qualified for the main line. Both groups are covered by the same collective agreement, but have different job classifications.

- Paul

Reactions: rbt
4 out of the 18 cars in service means that’s only 2 trainsets at most…

This has me wondering, once electrification comes, how will the UPE be handled? All I’ve heard is that they’ll use the same GO electric stock, but if that’s electric locos + BiLevels, they’d need to do some serious work on the Pearson span to get it to support the heavier loads.

I'm not aware of GO ever having units dedicated to switching. Are you confusing GO with VIA?

Why maintain a unit just for switching when there are plenty of road units sitting idle?

- Paul

This has me wondering, once electrification comes, how will the UPE be handled? All I’ve heard is that they’ll use the same GO electric stock, but if that’s electric locos + BiLevels, they’d need to do some serious work on the Pearson span to get it to support the heavier loads.

Are you sure? The GO Bilevels are ~25% lighter than a UPE car. An electric-only locomotive will be about 25% heavier than a UPE car. A 12-car train would be too heavy but I'd bet a 3-car + electric-only locomotive would be okay.

Of course, both Pearson and Union station would require modifications for clearances and door placement.

Last edited:
Are you sure? The GO Bilevels are ~25% lighter than a UPE car. An electric-only locomotive is about 25% heavier than a UPE car. A 12-car train might be too heavy but I'd bet a 3-car + locomotive would be okay.

Of course, both Pearson and Union station would require modifications for clearances and door placement.
I guess Alstom didn't think of converting Bi-levels to EMU's.

I guess Alstom didn't think of converting Bi-levels to EMU's.

I'm not following this comment. There will not be any GO Bi-level to EMU conversions; it's not structurally practical.

If you expect Alstom to replace UPX with a new EMU rolling stock, it would also very likely be lighter than the UPX rolling stock. I very much expect Alstom/DB to phase out UPX trains at the absolute earliest opportunity and electric locomotives are quite simple to design and build.

Last edited:

Back