News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

To me it's a testament to the quality of the original builds. Re-branding for its own sake, in a non-competitive market, using public funds, is a bit murky. Nobody is, or is not, going to take a GO train/bus because of their colour.
branding is important and professional in its own right and should be consistent. im sure they could afford to squeeze in a paint job during their regular maintenance periods if they wanted to. maybe they dont have enough spares? if anything they hada great opportunity over the last 2 year to do it but obviously they didnt take that chance. then again maybe theyre just going to wait it out until they are eventually replaced by the electric locos.

branding is important and professional in its own right and should be consistent. im sure they could afford to squeeze in a paint job during their regular maintenance periods if they wanted to. maybe they dont have enough spares? if anything they hada great opportunity over the last 2 year to do it but obviously they didnt take that chance. then again maybe theyre just going to wait it out until they are eventually replaced by the electric locos.
I terms of taking advantage of the 'Covid lull', they were probably facing the same workplace restrictions everybody else was.

I get that branding is important, but context is important. Does anyone really care what the fire truck or ambulance that rolls up to their door looks like?

Reactions: T3G
Branding is important for private businesses that face competition from others.

For a public service with a monopoly, it would not matter one bit if every single GO vehicle was painted a different colour. A passenger knows they need the 92 or to get on platform 4 at Union, what cares anyone but foamers what colour vehicle ends up pulling up to the platform?

The emergency vehicle example is a good one. Maybe I don't like the deep shade of red fire trucks come in. No one cares. They are not going to send a lighter red fire truck to cater to me instead, I can either take the deep red one or I can let my house burn down.

The colour of paint is not important, but cleanliness and evidence of maintenance standards are. Nobody feels good about being loaded into a filthy ambulance.
If you have ever been to LA, the difference.in Metrolink double deckers and our Metrolinx cars is night and day - they are only starting to do refurbs.
Appearance affects culture, too - maintainer and operator behaviour changes when equipment is kept in good shape. As does passenger behaviour.
I can accept repainting as soon as a vehicle starts to look run down. But not just to rebrand.

- Paul

The colour of paint is not important, but cleanliness and evidence of maintenance standards are. Nobody feels good about being loaded into a filthy ambulance.
If you have ever been to LA, the difference.in Metrolink double deckers and our Metrolinx cars is night and day - they are only starting to do refurbs.
Appearance affects culture, too - maintainer and operator behaviour changes when equipment is kept in good shape. As does passenger behaviour.
I can accept repainting as soon as a vehicle starts to look run down. But not just to rebrand.

- Paul

Tri-Rail trains get a new look

And we all know how those hybrid MCI's turned out. Not to mention those battery powered double decker buses that never entered revenue service.
I guess this is the reason most of the DD buses have disappeared in Europe last year compare to 2012. Those DD have been replace by articulated buses that are battery power, though I did see the odd DD here and there..

Seeing a lot more MCI GO Buses on the road these days compare to DD.

Which Series of cars is it? I see the Series VII cars being repainted in the article but that at most would only be 94 coaches.
I assume the balance will be made up of the faded looking Series 2, 3, and 4 coaches.

Hopefully they don't touch the Series VIII cars for a while, their paint is still in reasonable shape and it would be a shocking waste of money.

Hopefully they don't touch the Series VIII cars for a while, their paint is still in reasonable shape and it would be a shocking waste of money.
The later ones yes.

Some of the older ones (most notably cab cars 251, 252, and 253) are in pretty rough shape.

At Alstom’s Thunder Bay plant (image not mine)
4FBE68EB-FB41-4B7E-BC9D-71C0DDD94002.jpeg

Back