News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

(This isn’t directed to your message RS3488)
I don’t really understand why people are so surprised and/or mad that the old cab cars aren’t being used yet, not only is there a major staff shortage right now, but the amount of cab cars in the GO fleet far outweighs the amount of engines. On top of that (and related to the last 2 points) there just simply isn’t enough service being operated right now to require more consists and the use of the rebuilt old cab cars.

They’ll be used when there’s operational demand for it, until then they’ll wait like the other excess coaches waiting in yards across the network.

A few days ago, I witnessed both 208 and 214 seemingly both being used for OnCorr crew training. Maybe they see regular use once the switch over from Alstom to OnCorr crews occurs in 2025?
You probably didn't.

OnCorr staff needs to be given special permission to access equipment, spaces and staff - they have been given a train's worth of equipment to inspect and devise practices for at Whitby. And that's it. They don't have anything else, and are not allowed to ride the service trains or talk with crews.

There are a couple of classes of crews finishing up their training by Alstom. This is likely what you saw.

Dan

Picture I took of it leaving Union
IMG_0534.jpeg

The cars only get repainted when they go in for refurbishing, which is usually every 20 years or so. A portion of the Series V cars were refurbished in the early 2010s before the new livery was introduced, and cars were getting delivered brand new in the old colours until 2014, so optimistically it will be another decade and change before the rest of the fleet is repainted.

As it should be, because repainting before it's time to renew the livery delivers naught.

The cars only get repainted when they go in for refurbishing, which is usually every 20 years or so. A portion of the Series V cars were refurbished in the early 2010s before the new livery was introduced, and cars were getting delivered brand new in the old colours until 2014, so optimistically it will be another decade and change before the rest of the fleet is repainted.

As it should be, because repainting before it's time to renew the livery delivers naught.
Ok so by the time they need to be repainted id bet shortly afterwards ML will have a new livery so all the work they did to repaint would be a waste
they have enough cars to switch out, they need to sort out their branding by having a unified livery instead of an ancient obsolete one from 10 years ago.
makes them look disjointed and disorganized.

All of the series 5 cars were repainted fairly recently, as well as a lot of series 7 coaches before they get sent away for refurbishment. Metrolinx isn’t following the repaint-only-when-refurbished thing anymore

Ok so by the time they need to be repainted id bet shortly afterwards ML will have a new livery so all the work they did to repaint would be a waste
they have enough cars to switch out, they need to sort out their branding by having a unified livery instead of an ancient obsolete one from 10 years ago.
makes them look disjointed and disorganized.
I don't think anyone except for railfans actually cares.

I don't think anyone except for railfans actually cares.
thats what we assume but with people becoming more and more attune with image they will start to notice and wonder why go trains always look so tired and worn out.
we pay so much tax to upkeep that that old looking car??

thats what we assume but with people becoming more and more attune with image they will start to notice and wonder why go trains always look so tired and worn out.
we pay so much tax to upkeep that that old looking car??
Maybe we shouldn't listen to them? People who know nothing about the life cycle of a rail car have no business commenting about rail cars. I truly loathe this direction our society is going in where any random fool with an internet connection can make an inflammatory comment and cause a controversy. This is not democracy, this is proxy rule of the stupid.

The amount or people that will notice something like this anyway is low. Most people will note if their car is disgusting on the inside, or uncomfortable, or with defunct climate control. A faded rail car is not on the radar of most people. And it's not a problem that will be solved by fully switching over to the new livery, because then what? In 10 years the earliest repainted cars will also start looking as faded and the problem restarts itself. The only way to avoid this problem is to have repaints more often, whatever the choice of livery is. And I don't get the feeling our transit system is anywhere near well developed enough that we can afford to throw out money on frivolous nonsense like this. Spend the money on infrastructure to actually make the system usable, and leave the marketing wank to the losers studying PR and marketing.

Back