News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wonder if Wabtec would want to use this order to refresh the loco design to better compete with Siemens who is absolutely dominating the market. Until now (maybe), that model isn’t officially offered anymore.
Perhaps a newer version of the MP54AC? Slightly more horsepower? MP55AC?

Part of the contract could also be MP40's being refurbished to MP54's. Locomotive 647 came back into service just recently.

Wasn’t that engine out of service for years due to reliability issues? I thought that was the reason why Metrolinx didn’t go forward with converting more engines

Wasn’t that engine out of service for years due to reliability issues? I thought that was the reason why Metrolinx didn’t go forward with converting more engines
Out of service for 18 months. But foamers were reporting it was just recently brought back into service.

Maybe Wabtec figured out a fix for the refurbishment and they're testing it out with locomotive 647.

Perhaps a newer version of the MP54AC? Slightly more horsepower? MP55AC?

Part of the contract could also be MP40's being refurbished to MP54's. Locomotive 647 came back into service just recently.
5500 HP is too small of an upgrade. It's not worth it when you can spend, (for example) $1000 for a 10,000 HP upgrade,or a $500 upgrade of 100 HP.
Are you sure it wasn’t the video of the water flowing down the moat stairs? I don’t remember any GO parts of Union getting seriously flooded, only city of Toronto parts
Correction: It was actually the stairs in between the TTC Union and GO Bay Concourse, if I remember correctly.

Some interior shots of the refurbished 2114 (a Series II car).
IMG_0037.jpeg
IMG_0036.jpeg
IMG_0034.jpeg

Some interior shots of the refurbished 2114 (a Series II car).
View attachment 583699View attachment 583701View attachment 583702
It's no surprise why GO is in no rush to obtain EMUs. The amount of value they're getting from their bilevel coaches is incredible. I'm right in assuming this coach was manufactured in 1983? 40 years old, still going strong. How may people has this coach moved over it's life span? Will probably keep going for another 10 years.

Hawker Siddeley (the original manufacturer for these cars) originally designed them to be very modular, the Series 1 cars when they were first built had provisions for EMU conversion inside of them, however I assume after multiple rebuilds those provisions no longer exist or would work with modern tech.

GO studied converting the Bi-Levels into EMU’s in a 1980 study and concluded that it would be too complicated and wouldn’t work with a lack of space in the cars for EMU equipment.

Here’s some cool concept art that Hawker Siddeley made for GO, VIA, and just a general design before anyone ordered them:
image2.jpeg
AD9AE14F-C39B-4BAE-8DD3-09BCA06C4F78.jpeg
image1.jpeg
IMG_2376.jpeg

Last edited:
Hawker Siddeley (the original manufacturer for these cars) originally designed them to be very modular, the Series 1 cars when they were first built had provisions for EMU conversion inside of them, however I assume after multiple rebuilds those provisions no longer exist or would work with modern tech.

GO studied converting the Bi-Levels into EMU’s in a 1980 study and concluded that it would be too complicated and wouldn’t work with a lack of space in the cars for EMU equipment.

Here’s some cool concept art that Hawker Siddeley made for GO, VIA, and just a general design before anyone ordered them:
im pretty sure they could convert a existing cars to DMU power cars where the lower level is the powerpack section. Im surprised they didnt think of that and are pushing forward with locos. ditto for EMU conversion

Yeah the B end door and a entire window needed to be removed on the Series 5b-10 coaches to add a lower level washroom, you can’t add them to older coaches without putting them through a massive retrofit.

Here’s a comparison between the Series 1 and 10 coaches, you can see the door is moved over quite a bit on the Series 10 coach:
You_Doodle+_2023-03-12T23_50_29Z.png
You_Doodle+_2023-03-28T19_26_07Z.png

Yeah the B end door and a entire window needed to be removed on the Series 5b-10 coaches to add a lower level washroom, you can’t add them to older coaches without putting them through a massive retrofit.

Here’s a comparison between the Series 1 and 10 coaches, you can see the door is moved over quite a bit on the Series 10 coach:View attachment 584298View attachment 584299
Thanks never considered that, or why some cars end seats have no window!

Back