News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I think the hydro people would have something to say about a bridge through their tower line connecting Thorncliffe to Leaside. :)
Make the pedestrian bridge a "faraday cage" bridge.

Similar to faraday bags for car fobs.

The whole point of running GO along midtown is for a higher speed, fewer stops "express" service - having stations this close by would defeat the purpose.

AoD
Says who?

Anytime GO studied the corridor, a station at Millwood was always envisioned. And Don Mills was placed in at least one of the reports as a "potential".

Dan

Says who?

Anytime GO studied the corridor, a station at Millwood was always envisioned. And Don Mills was placed in at least one of the reports as a "potential".

Dan
The proposed Park Lawn Station on the Lakeshore West GO Train line are "close", but still may GO through.
i286541539347427718._szw1280h1280_.jpg
From `.
They are also considering the addition of other stations in the GO Train network as well. King-Liberty, Bloor-Lansdowne, St. Clair West, St. Clair-Old Weston Road for example.

Hmm ... the length from Millwood to the old station building is about 325 metres. About 15 metres longer than 12 GO cars - and shorter than a train+engine.

I wonder if we might see the old station restored, as a secondary entrance, or perhaps just a museum near the end of the platform.

The proposed Park Lawn Station on the Lakeshore West GO Train line are "close", but still may GO through.
From `.
They are also considering the addition of other stations in the GO Train network as well. King-Liberty, Bloor-Lansdowne, St. Clair West, St. Clair-Old Weston Road for example.

From `.
Yes, and GO's resistance to adding local stops will prob diminish as it's a no-brainer for cheaply adding metro transit service when EMU's are rolled out.

Or, maybe GO is kept express to better serve those out of the Toronto area.

Could it not theoretically support both with better signalling?

The Berlin Stadtbahn is only two pairs of tracks (4 total) that supports S-Bahn, Regionalbahn, Regional Express, Intercity, EuroCity & ICE service. Two tracks are dedicated to S-Bahn service (30 trains pphpd), the rest use the other pair. Forgive my ignorance, but it seems like 4 tracks in the corridors owned by Metrolinx in Toronto/GTA could easily support all types of services, in theory at least and be similar to what you see on the Berlin Stadtbahn. I get that it can't work on corridors owned by CN & CPR, but otherwise it seems possible. Please correct me if that's not accurate.

Why not do what some of the New York City express subway lines do? Serve the "downtown" stations as "local", but as the trains spread away, turns "express".

nyc-metro-route-7-flushing-local-map.png

From link.

-1x-1.jpg
From link.
I can definitely see GO morphing into this, maaaaybe with dedicated express track in sections they own with sufficient space.

Or, maybe GO is kept express to better serve those out of the Toronto area.
Translation: Or, maybe we don't serve the areas with the most people to increase somewhat (after electrification) service to the politically powerful.

That's turning it into suburban transit (and there are many suburbanites whose trips aren't ending downtown).

We'd be adding rail transit to new areas for little cost, and I don't see any major disadvantage (electric trains can start and stop faster).

Translation: Or, maybe we don't serve the areas with the most people to increase somewhat (after electrification) service to the politically powerful.

That's turning it into suburban transit (and there are many suburbanites whose trips aren't ending downtown).

We'd be adding rail transit to new areas for little cost, and I don't see any major disadvantage (electric trains can start and stop faster).
GO has always been about moving the suburb citizens in and out of the city. Having it stay that way and Smartrack(or whatever it gets called) stopping more often makes sense. I am not suggesting removing stops from GO but not adding more intermediate stops. This is also on condition that there is the space to do so.

GO has always been about moving the suburb citizens in and out of the city. Having it stay that way and Smartrack(or whatever it gets called) stopping more often makes sense. I am not suggesting removing stops from GO but not adding more intermediate stops. This is also on condition that there is the space to do so.
Have you not seen a Lakeshore west or east train outside of rush hour? There is plenty of other uses for that service other than getting downtown, and go is perfectly capable of running a mix of express and local service. Smartrack is likely going to be an expansion of GO service and will just maintain the GO branding, why add a different branded service when will already have a decently understandable system that will have an increased number of stations, trains, and frequencies.

Have you not seen a Lakeshore west or east train outside of rush hour? There is plenty of other uses for that service other than getting downtown, and go is perfectly capable of running a mix of express and local service. Smartrack is likely going to be an expansion of GO service and will just maintain the GO branding, why add a different branded service when will already have a decently understandable system that will have an increased number of stations, trains, and frequencies.
What about the other lines? Notice how outside of the the Lakeshore E/W lines, none are 2WAD service?

Barrie and Kitchener lines do not go the full distance(ignoring the London Extension pilot) outside of peak
Milton, Richmond Hill, and Stoufffville lines do not have trains outside of peak service.

This is still a suburb transit service.

20 years from now, I can envision the same fare within the city of Toronto, regardless of GO/TTC. However, I doubt those new stations will be served by GO trains.

What about the other lines? Notice how outside of the the Lakeshore E/W lines, none are 2WAD service?

Barrie and Kitchener lines do not go the full distance(ignoring the London Extension pilot) outside of peak
Milton, Richmond Hill, and Stoufffville lines do not have trains outside of peak service.

This is still a suburb transit service.

20 years from now, I can envision the same fare within the city of Toronto, regardless of GO/TTC. However, I doubt those new stations will be served by GO trains.
I've used the Go Train to get to Kitchener at 11:30 am in the morning? This wasn't possible 2 years ago

Back