News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

just kill VIA service entirely on the north line and run all VIA trains through Brantford. Run semi-frequent GO service on the north line with upgraded infrastructure.

That would make a Windsor-Kitchener trip impossible without a transfer at London.

I don't think it make sense to eliminate that possibility.

I want there to be connections from as many places as practical, to as many others as practical, and certainly between larger urban centres in SW Ontario in this case.

Reactions: TFC
I know this is a bit off topic, but a few weeks ago YRT started a survey on transit expansion plans by 2025, and they released this updated an updated service map:
View attachment 349191
Now ignoring how... optimistic this map is, something I noticed that is a bit peculiar is this bit here:

View attachment 349192
So uh, York Region now wants to extend the Richmond Hill line to Aurora Road, and have that served by a 15 minute bus service to downtown Aurora? Ye... sure.
Not just YRT.....

This has been GO's ultimate goal for a long time now. They consider it a better way to pick up those people from the south end of Newmarket than the (now) Barrie Line.

Dan

Not just YRT.....

This has been GO's ultimate goal for a long time now. They consider it a better way to pick up those people from the south end of Newmarket than the (now) Barrie Line.

Dan
So will they get going on Mulock or is that in development hell too?
~~~~~
I guess Kingston and Peterborough are next up. Kingston is a direct shot from Oshawa and the Stouffville line will be extended from Uxbridge.

So will they get going on Mulock or is that in development hell too?
~~~~~

Mulock is on the EAs, and in all of the future plans. But there are no current plans to build it.

(Which seems short-sighted, I agree.)

I guess Kingston and Peterborough are next up. Kingston is a direct shot from Oshawa and the Stouffville line will be extended from Uxbridge.

Kingston is on a different set of tracks from Oshawa. And Uxbridge is also still held in the long-term plans, but not likely to be built for a long time.

That said, Brantford is still calling.....

Dan

Mulock is on the EAs, and in all of the future plans. But there are no current plans to build it.

Kingston is on a different set of tracks from Oshawa. And Uxbridge is also still held in the long-term plans, but not likely to be built for a long time.

Dan
Brantford is the next logical extension to me.

Uxbridge won't happen for a while as the town isn't really growing, is hemmed in by the Oak Ridges Moraine and the Greenbelt (rightfully so), and the corridor needs full reconstruction and even with that will be fairly slow due to the poor alignment of it.

Peterborough is going to be serviced by Via HFR, I don't see GO service there.

Bolton is always another option too.

Dan

Hmmmm. I guess with Oshawa going over the overpass kingston will be a hike.

Brantford is the next logical extension to me.

Uxbridge won't happen for a while as the town isn't really growing, is hemmed in by the Oak Ridges Moraine and the Greenbelt (rightfully so), and the corridor needs full reconstruction and even with that will be fairly slow due to the poor alignment of it.

Peterborough is going to be serviced by Via HFR, I don't see GO service there.

Bolton is always another option too.
Here is my issue: Branford will require a diversion of lakeshore west trains. It could also be argued that Via HFR is going to London afterall.

That would make a Windsor-Kitchener trip impossible without a transfer at London.

I don't think it make sense to eliminate that possibility.

I want there to be connections from as many places as practical, to as many others as practical, and certainly between larger urban centres in SW Ontario in this case.

The Windsor-Kitchener trip is already impossible without a transfer at London. The Kitchener train either terminates at London or Sarnia. It never goes to Windsor.

just kill VIA service entirely on the north line and run all VIA trains through Brantford. Run semi-frequent GO service on the north line with upgraded infrastructure.

VIA would do it in about 2 hours, GO in 2:45 or so with upgraded tracks probably. Pick whether you want the premium service with speed or the slower local.

The issue with this is that VIA was proposing an HFR like service for SW Ontario like what Tor-Mon is getting.

I dont see any way they could offer this on CN's mainline.

So that only leaves the GEXR line, which is what GO is using now.

Given what's been declared possible in Brampton and for the Milton corridor, I hold out hope for frequent VIA service on the southern route. I really do see a very good case for a network structured around VIA going through Brantford exclusively with an inclination toward express service and (at most) some Metrolinx fare integration for Brantford while GO runs everything on the NML and does so more oriented toward local than end to end traffic.

If in conjunction with Metrolinx, the Guelph Subdivision were improved so that travel times were comparable to the southern mainline, perhaps we could have future express service with Via (London-Kitchener-Toronto) and some type of local service with GO.

Schedule-wise, I've seen some times floating around, but no source for them, so I can only assume they are speculation. I personally think an extension of either the 8:02 or 8:39 departure from Kitchener makes the most sense in the morning (8:02 maybe more since it doesn't overlap as much with the later Via departure), and then an extension of the 5:28 arrival in Kitchener in the evening. This would work well for commuters from points west into Kitchener or Guelph, and would also allow for meetings and appointments to points east.

VIA would do it in about 2 hours, GO in 2:45 or so with upgraded tracks probably. Pick whether you want the premium service with speed or the slower local.
I would agree with you if the Brantford route was also the more reliable route. Unfortunately, only the Guelph corridor has any chance of a frequent passenger service which is undisturbed by freight railroads and their operations...

[...]

Schedule-wise, I've seen some times floating around, but no source for them, so I can only assume they are speculation. I personally think an extension of either the 8:02 or 8:39 departure from Kitchener makes the most sense in the morning (8:02 maybe more since it doesn't overlap as much with the later Via departure), and then an extension of the 5:28 arrival in Kitchener in the evening. This would work well for commuters from points west into Kitchener or Guelph, and would also allow for meetings and appointments to points east.
CTV News reports the following timings, which sound reasonably plausible to me:
The pilot project will see a train leaving from London daily at 5:20 in the morning arriving at union at 9:15 a.m. and one return train leaving Toronto at 4:19 in the afternoon arriving in London at 8:17 p.m.

CTV News reports the following timings, which sound reasonably plausible to me:

Interesting. I did a bit of digging separately, and Metrolinx's news release states the following:
Metrolinx officials say more detailed schedule and fare information will be available closer to launch. (source)

Metrolinx also has a site up now about the extension, but it similarly has no information on schedule yet. I do think it's interesting how they frame the benefits:

Benefits​

Expanded rail service will connect Southwestern Ontario to the Region of Waterloo with direct access to the larger GO Transit network through the Kitchener corridor.

While helping to reduce congestion, service will create options to travel to and from Toronto for work or fun, with many communities to explore along the way.

For students, this means more connections to colleges and universities, including Fanshawe College, University of Guelph, Wilfred Laurier University, University of Waterloo, and Western University. (source)

If in conjunction with Metrolinx, the Guelph Subdivision were improved so that travel times were comparable to the southern mainline, perhaps we could have future express service with Via (London-Kitchener-Toronto) and some type of local service with GO.

The test train they were doing was an extension of the 5:28 pm arrival in kitchener

Back