News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If anything, this just shows what kind of "service" YRT is, if you could even call it that...
Not only that, the furthest point in the service area is only 3 km from a station. That's a 12 minute bike ride. So it shows how impractical the cycling network currently is.

Which is additionally frustrating because Vaughan and Metrolinx just spent a million dollars building a bicycle bridge across Rutherford Road from this exact neighbourhood to Rutherford station, but didn't follow it up by building the comparatively cheap connections onward through the neighbourhood.

Last edited:
Very detailed post here.

"Sure the Great Hall was pretty, but much of the station was dim, cramped, with the only redeeming quality being a Mmmmuffins outlet for high sugar, super delicious treats as a you passed through."

<cough, cough> Cinnabon

I don't blame ML or QP for not expanding service right now.

The province just brought in their new integrated fare system for the 905. It is reasonable that they don't make any irrational changes to the service levels until they see what the implications are for ridership. I also don't mean just total ridership but also the destinations, how far the riders are travelling, what stations they are going to/from, what times of the day they are travelling, and the impacts it has on weekend and late night traffic. They also have to allow the local transit agencies time to adjust their bus schedules to reflect the new realities

Everyone would be glad if they increased service right now but would be pissed off all to hell if, after taking in these potential impacts, the schedules for both GO and their local bus had to change again in a few months.

It may not be popular right now with some riders but it is a prudent move.

I don't blame ML or QP for not expanding service right now.

The province just brought in their new integrated fare system for the 905. It is reasonable that they don't make any irrational changes to the service levels until they see what the implications are for ridership. I also don't mean just total ridership but also the destinations, how far the riders are travelling, what stations they are going to/from, what times of the day they are travelling, and the impacts it has on weekend and late night traffic. They also have to allow the local transit agencies time to adjust their bus schedules to reflect the new realities
The 905 agencies in question already had 75% discounts for passengers transferring to/from GO, producing a fare around $0.80. (Full listing here)

How transformational do you think the new 80 cent discount will really be?
Everyone would be glad if they increased service right now but would be pissed off all to hell if, after taking in these potential impacts, the schedules for both GO and their local bus had to change again in a few months.

It may not be popular right now with some riders but it is a prudent move.
GO updates schedules every few months regardless. There are constant little adjustments, typically to reflect changes in travel times.

And in any case, nobody would be pissed off if their line's service gets increased twice.

Not sure if this belongs here, but this is the dumbest idea.

Why are Maple and Rutherford GO stations so close together? If this area is so sparse that they can't even run frequent buses to the train stations, why do they have two stations that are 2 km apart?

So this story is one of chasing Mx about the missing service to Kitchener (current vs pre-pandemic).

Most is the usual Mx bafflegab for a response............

But there is some useful foreshadowing at the end of the piece:

1648783877687.png

AMA has her moments.............but I'm thinking that reference to timing wasn't a slip of the tongue.

Why are Maple and Rutherford GO stations so close together? If this area is so sparse that they can't even run frequent buses to the train stations, why do they have two stations that are 2 km apart?
Parking supply. Maple until the 90s was a tiny rural station, however when suburban development came, Maple wasn't able to handle all of the increased traffic, so they had to build Rutherford as literally a parking lot station. This was also before 2010 when they massively expanded Maple GO - before then it was literally just Station St with a few parking lots.

This can be seen on Google Maps' streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.858...m4!1sQYo_EoDeUiLsdvqRc_d2CA!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

And in any case, nobody would be pissed off if their line's service gets increased twice.

I think people get more pleased to hear increases in their line way more than the news of cuts. Even something like a simple extra trip gets at least some riders excited.

So this story is one of chasing Mx about the missing service to Kitchener (current vs pre-pandemic).

Most is the usual Mx bafflegab for a response............

But there is some useful foreshadowing at the end of the piece:

View attachment 389295

AMA has her moments.............but I'm thinking that reference to timing wasn't a slip of the tongue.

I wonder if they have ever thought to themselves that barely anybody wants to take a bus to and from KW and the GTA. Even if I don't mind taking the 30 as its mostly a nice and fast trip, the fatigue of always travelling via bus can hit you at times. The mid day trips back in September were really successful especially at and in between Kitchener/Guelph stations, and I doubt all these people lining up for these trains took the bus prior, or even considered planning on heading to these destinations if they wanted to. They should've at least given us the local/express variant during peak times which helps with the control in crowding and service a lot more compared to what is currently set up right now.

Rutherford was added in 2001 as a replacement for Maple. The idea was that the site at Maple was much more constrained and it was going to be difficult to add parking, whereas the site at Rutherford was much more open.

Of course since then, GO has decided to open their wallets and buy up as much land as possible around Maple in order to increase the amount of parking there. And since ridership has not appreciably dropped since the opening of Rutherford, they've decided to keep both of them open.

Dan

Back