News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

While browsing FB today I came across this undated, uncredited photo taken at Whytewold MB showing daytrippers headed for Winnipeg Beach. It reminded me of this discussion. For all its warts, the Niagara service is full circle to how people reached recreation a hundred or more years ago.

There were similar routes in the GTA, also….. day trains and radial service to Bala, Lake Simcoe, Eldorado Park, etc. The Long Branch Racetrack and even the Lambton Golf Course had their own special trains. Not to mention special CNE and special event excursion trains from the hinterland.

Nothing wrong with hoping ML will look for opportunities to add more such services.

- Paul

View attachment 406733
And the cottage trains that ran from Toronto to the Gravenhurst docks to connect to the lake steamers…would there be a market for a GO train to Washago, Gravenhurst and Huntsville? I think so.

And the cottage trains that ran from Toronto to the Gravenhurst docks to connect to the lake steamers…would there be a market for a GO train to Washago, Gravenhurst and Huntsville? I think so.

A century ago, there used to be trains directly into Algonquin Park. Over the years, the track was ripped up and the Highland Inn burned down. It would be nice to have a train out there again but I doubt the ROW still exists and remains useable.

A century ago, there used to be trains directly into Algonquin Park. Over the years, the track was ripped up and the Highland Inn burned down. It would be nice to have a train out there again but I doubt the ROW still exists and remains useable.
A lot of the ROW has been converted into walking trails

That is an easy fix though Ontario Parks and the Ministry of Natural Resources may veto the idea.
The ROW is dead. The line was closed, starting with the 1933 (?) abandonment of the Cache Lake Trestle. The ROW is completely unusable and rebuilding it (and the bridges that are long-gone) would not be worth it.
1655147291298.png

Is Alghabra hinting at a development here?
naw the feds are trying to make a show that theyre the only ones wanting to develop milton line.
the ontario government also wants to but its not like they dont have their hands full.
All we know is the feds commited a billion i think for the line, no plans have been drawn up at all

^ I think they committed 50% of the projected cost which is around $1B. That was the last public figure I saw that was from 2014 and published around 2015.

The ROW is dead. The line was closed, starting with the 1933 (?) abandonment of the Cache Lake Trestle. The ROW is completely unusable and rebuilding it (and the bridges that are long-gone) would not be worth it.
View attachment 407113

Yea that could be a problem.

Putting a railway station in Algonquin Park would be damn near impossible given the available space for doing so and other requirements. That being said, I am surprised the ROW was left to decline with all the logging in the area.

Putting a railway station in Algonquin Park would be damn near impossible given the available space for doing so and other requirements. That being said, I am surprised the ROW was left to decline with all the logging in the area.

Speaking of this line, I saw this picture pop up on railpictures.ca today:

Without the 'next step' infrastructure', like the lake boats of yore, dedicated tourist trains to these communities would really only benefit the townsites themselves (like what do you do when the train dumps you in Washago?). Before it was cancelled, ONR was trying to attract more Muskoka business but the schedule didn't really work. It remains to be seen if a new schedule will be any better.

Maybe GO can get into the tourism business when it has solved the GTA commuter problem.
Not from southern Ontario. The line ran from Ottawa to Parry Sound. It had passenger service, just like every other railway did back then before roads went through.

In spite of the controversy it generates, not a lot of logging goes on inside the park in relation to its total area. This map is a little dated but gives you the idea, and very little is in the area where the railway was (very roughly where the highway is).

What wood that comes out of the area is hauled from cutting areas by truck to local mills. The era of seasonal cutting and hauling, floating logs in water courses and trainloads of raw logs being shipped off to overseas buyers is no longer a thing.

Quite likely in Stanstead, where the town (and even some buildings) straddle the border, and you can simply walk across.

View attachment 407233
'Could' not "can". 9/11 pretty much ended that. I believe for those buildings that actually straddle the border, one can enter and cross the line inside the building so long as you exit the building in the same country. The days of freely zipping back and forth are done.

Back