News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Display board issues at Union? Or they can't upload the data fast enough?

The angry face is for this bit:

1657414937307.png

Lets be perfectly frank, this likely would never happen to me (or many who frequent UT); sure, because in all likelihood we paid our way; but also ...

I (and many here) speak in a certain way that conveys the ability to get the media's attention, a lawyer, create hassles and reports and name-drop someone's bosses' boss.

And equally can soft peddle any offense ( check my card, I always pay, I'm sure the machine simply failed to read the card properly)

I want to be clear, I'm not suggesting giving anyone a free pass entirely, without extraordinary cause, for breaching fare payment, or any other rules.

Rather, I'm simply thinking that if this person (arguably fare evader) was a Muzzo.........at worst, they'd be laughing off the $100 in the face of the inspectors and more likely not getting a ticket at all.

Yeah, I know, I sound like some of the angrier posters at UT right now, when I pride myself on moderation; but I very much dislike bullies and those lacking common sense; and even less so those who manage to manifest both traits.

Last edited:
The angry face is for this bit:

View attachment 412709

Lets be perfectly frank, this likely would never happen to me (or many who frequent UT); sure, because in all likelihood we paid our way; but also ...

I (and many here) speak in a certain way that conveys the ability to get the media's attention, a lawyer, create hassles and reports and name-drop someone's bosses' boss.

And equally can soft peddle any offense ( check my card, I always pay, I'm sure the machine simply failed to read the card properly)

I want to be clear, I'm not suggesting giving anyone a free pass entirely, without extraordinary cause, for breaching fare payment, or any other rules.

Rather, I'm simply thinking that this this person (arguably fare evader) was a Muzzo.........at worst, they'd be laughing off the $100 in the face of the inspectors and more likely not getting a ticket at all.

Yeah, I know, I sound like some of the angrier posters at UT right now, when I pride myself on moderation; but I very much dislike bullies and those lacking common sense; and even less so those who manage to manifest both traits.

What the **** is going on with Metrolinx today?!?!

So is this going to become a regular practice for them I wonder? Don't remember happening a lot before covid.
I think it's because of the lane closure (maybe 2 lanes?) on Lakeshore which is a fairly recent thing and causing these backups.

City of Toronto website indicates that it started June 22 and ends July 16.

I'd also say it's just too many people driving into the city due to a somewhat irrational fear of COVID on transit. I see it at work all the time. Many former transit-riding colleagues now always drive.

Yep. I actually saw someone in full PPE on the subway this week. Double masked with gloves.

Many people are still paranoid and while I'm supportive of their choices it is time for a reality check.

Covid-19 isn't going anywhere. It is like Polio, TB or SARS. They are all bad but they all still exist. Do you see everyone wearing masks since 2003 because they might catch Sars, TB or the Spanish Flu?

At some point, transit will pick up. We can't just live under a rock in fear.

Rather, I'm simply thinking that if this person (arguably fare evader) was a Muzzo.........at worst, they'd be laughing off the $100 in the face of the inspectors and more likely not getting a ticket at all.

I applaud your basic sense of decency, but unfortunately this may be the lesser evil.

I’m not sure which frightens me more….. the idea of fare inspectors being rigidly wedded to the rules, or fare inspectors making snap calls based on subjective factors and taken-at-face information and interpreting the rules to their personal standard (if the evader was poor, but a white male…..and they are given discretion that is witnessed by a carload of diverse people……down the rabbit hole we go…..)

Chances are, if the individual appears to lacks the resources to pay the fine, they won’t. So it leads to a judgement against them, which sits in a computer database somewhere, and maybe if the evader then draws attention in some other way, they are detained at least briefly until a court date, which they may or may not attend….I’m more confident that a Crown Attorney or JOP or judge might give the appropriate leeway than I am a front line enforcement person…. but at a huge inconvenience and bureaucratic effort for all concerned. At least GO fare enforcement is generally pretty professional in delivering the bad news (In my experience, anyways, and I would not say that about others, eg TTC)

Moore is a more moderate commentator, and if he saw the matter as disturbing, and chose to write about it, I can believe that the situation was egregious. He is well read, so I suspect (hope?) he will have made enough noise for this to get some followup.

At the end of the day, enforcing rules and norms that are largely a matter of money, and not life or safety,, is hugely problemmatic in today’s world.

- Paul

LOL - Actually, bridges swing pretty easily... they are counterweighted, after all. Whatever broke or seized would have been misaligned or awkward to dislodge.

I don't know what one can do when there is no alternate route or alternative transport available. No different than weather closing an airport, really - there will be disappointed people, but it's not like these folks were flying to take a cruise.

- Paul
But isn't the one in question a Bascule bridge? Still, counterbalanced (I don't know how easily they hand-bomb), but no doubt it would take the assembly of several supervisors, area managers from both the Seaway authority and CN, plus actual workers to convene.

GO is now promoting people to not take the Niagara train, lmao. The CSA in my train just said: “As a reminder if you are travelling to Niagara Falls, we have a bus service. Just take the Lakeshore West to Burlington and connect to the bus that will take you to Niagara”

GO is now promoting people to not take the Niagara train, lmao. The CSA in my train just said: “As a reminder if you are travelling to Niagara Falls, we have a bus service. Just take the Lakeshore West to Burlington and connect to the bus that will take you to Niagara”

They likely do not know how reliable the bridge is right now and do not want a repeat of yesterday. Also, they likely realize the trains are overloaded and trying to shunt people onto buses.

Given the time of year, I doubt there will be any increase to service this year. Hopefully next year they will have more robust service in place to accommodate high passenger volumes.

Back