News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Yes, and this is why all-day express trains to Hamilton are so important, as well as safe cycling infrastructure to both of Hamilton's central stations. According to Streetview, the Hunter Street bicycle lanes still end a block away from the station in both directions.
The Hunter Street lanes were completed in 2021 and are now continuous going past the GO station. They're just not on Streetview (or satellite view) yet

Yet another weekend where Route 21 and Route 31 buses are being sent to Port Credit GO. It’s a shitty transfer because the trains only run every 30 minutes, with no coordination between train arrivals and bus departures at a loop that’s too small to handle three Route 21 branches and two 31 branches and the regular Miway buses.

Why would anyone take GO, especially from Brampton, with such a time-consuming forced transfer?

Yet another weekend where Route 21 and Route 31 buses are being sent to Port Credit GO. It’s a shitty transfer because the trains only run every 30 minutes, with no coordination between train arrivals and bus departures at a loop that’s too small to handle three Route 21 branches and two 31 branches and the regular Miway buses.

Why would anyone take GO, especially from Brampton, with such a time-consuming forced transfer?

You must weigh in on this publicly; and tag the right folks; your opinion does get noticed there........even if it is ignored with crossed-fingers from time to time.

But Metrolinx only owns the tracks to Bramelea so to provide services to Mount Pleasant would require GO to use CN tracks past Bramelea.
But that's not CP, which is what GO's response was referencing.

There's also the fact that GO has short-term plans to run trains from Bramalea, which would make that connection from points west much easier.

That doesn't explain - or excuse - the PR rep's frankly incorrect response. We can give them the benefit of the doubt regarding their knowledge of the ownership of the lines, but the fact of the matter is that none of what they have written is applicable in this case.

Dan

I caught the last Georgetown bus yesterday from USBT only to watch the board switch almost-completely red as I was boarding.

I really think permanent bus-only lanes on the Gardiner and/or Lake Shore need to be a priority of this city.

I caught the last Georgetown bus yesterday from USBT only to watch the board switch almost-completely red as I was boarding.

I really think permanent bus-only lanes on the Gardiner and/or Lake Shore need to be a priority of this city.

In the heart of the City, I don't see this happening in the foreseeable future.

I think the Gardiner west of the Humber could spare a lane fairly easily and there is some room in the ROW in spots as well.

That said, it is key to set up some time of reserved/preferred lanes right around the bus terminal to get buses to/from the Gardiner.

Beyond that, I think, if they get rail service up to promised/planned levels, it should do a lot to dissipate the traffic. (Service that is every 15M or better on the core of the K-W and LSW lines, and every 30M or better on Milton will draw people out of their cars.

In the heart of the City, I don't see this happening in the foreseeable future.

I think the Gardiner west of the Humber could spare a lane fairly easily and there is some room in the ROW in spots as well.

That said, it is key to set up some time of reserved/preferred lanes right around the bus terminal to get buses to/from the Gardiner.

Beyond that, I think, if they get rail service up to promised/planned levels, it should do a lot to dissipate the traffic. (Service that is every 15M or better on the core of the K-W and LSW lines, and every 30M or better on Milton will draw people out of their cars.
But let's be real. 15 minute frequency on the Kitchener Line even as far as Bramalea is still a long way into the future. Even a 60 minute service is far more reasonable at this point and should be doable, to Bramalea for sure and optimally to Mount Pleasant. Alas, according to a post a few lines up, there is apparently still a lot of work/negotiating to do with CN to get access to the trackage west of the junction ahead of Bramalea. Anecdotally, the eye test says the room is there for hourly trains to Mount Pleasant similar to current weekday service. Oh well...

Added: Perhaps they could run a train Union-Malton, if that would make sense operationally, given the parallel and more frequent UPX service.. That idea has been hashed here before..

Last edited:
To me, there’s probably 3 options they can go about this

Option 1: Run at least 60 min service from Union-Bramalea and allow the 21 GO buses to also go there for transferring as well. Probably the best option that they can come up with, given the new bus terminal.

If they run a 8-10 car train which will be empty at Bramalea instead of the near full trains we have to deal with at Port Credit, with the addition of Milton riders having the advantage of the free flowing 407 to use, there’s no doubt this will work best. The local 21 branch that stops at Square One and Cooksville can be the only ones that heads to Port Credit as that makes the most sense

Option 2: Allow 21/31 buses to start/end at Pearson or Viscount and allow fare integration with the UPX providing 15 min service on the weekends again. Yes it is probably the most stretch, but requires the least effort to set up besides the operation side of the UPX again.

Option 3: Run all 21/31 buses to Kipling and call it a day. This option works but would be even better if GO/TTC had its fare integration again.

To me, there’s probably 3 options they can go about this

Option 1: Run at least 60 min service from Union-Bramalea and allow the 21 GO buses to also go there for transferring as well. Probably the best option that they can come up with, given the new bus terminal.

If they run a 8-10 car train which will be empty at Bramalea instead of the near full trains we have to deal with at Port Credit, with the addition of Milton riders having the advantage of the free flowing 407 to use, there’s no doubt this will work best. The local 21 branch that stops at Square One and Cooksville can be the only ones that heads to Port Credit as that makes the most sense

Option 2: Allow 21/31 buses to start/end at Pearson or Viscount and allow fare integration with the UPX providing 15 min service on the weekends again. Yes it is probably the most stretch, but requires the least effort to set up besides the operation side of the UPX again.

Option 3: Run all 21/31 buses to Kipling and call it a day. This option works but would be even better if GO/TTC had its fare integration again.
At least the tracks to Bramelea are within GO control. That would be the best option. Express to union in 30mim? Is that possible?

At least the tracks to Bramelea are within GO control. That would be the best option. Express to union in 30mim? Is that possible?
Well, technically ML control stops short of Bramalea. So even that short access would have to be negotiated. Also, all stops Bramalea to Union takes 35 minutes. If this train were going to run, it would make sense to at least serve Malton and maybe Etobicoke North, and perhaps skip Weston and Bloor, leaving them to the UPX service.

Well, technically ML control stops short of Bramalea. So even that short access would have to be negotiated. Also, all stops Bramalea to Union takes 35 minutes. If this train were going to run, it would make sense to at least serve Malton and maybe Etobicoke North, and perhaps skip Weston and Bloor, leaving them to the UPX service.
Just for reference. MX control ends at mile 16.9 weston sub and CN control starts beyond which is Mile 11.1 Halton Sub. Bramalea GO is at Mile 11.6. This means that MX only needs to use the Halton for 0.5 -0.8 miles... on a rule 105 track that no CN train uses.

Back