News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

What do you think about transforming some of Go's more expansive routes into HSR lite_regional rail as has been done in Delhi (RRTS) and Seoul (GTX) which are essential an s-bahn with hsr rolling stock

You may be getting ahead of things with the comparisons, but in Ontario there is a need for frequent limited or non-stop services to points beyond the central GTA regional network. I would include Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Niagara, and Peterborough on this list.

I'm not suggesting that these points require HSR level infrastructure, but they should not be served simply as end points on stopping train routes. They need expedited trains that more resemble intercity runs than commuter or heavy rail transit service.

To my mind, these demand a collaborative integrated operation between the federal and provincial levels. Instead, the mandate for these is being swatted back and forth like a hot potato. That's a political fail imho.

- Paul

I was just thinking about this when working 546 the other day... for the Bowmanville extension wouldn't it better to have the control locations at CN Oshawa West and MX Thickson intersect (similar to CN Boyne and CP Reynolds on the Bala) so that GO could cross over to the via platform and continue eastward? The curve to the CP would be quite sharp and speed limited anyways, isn't it rule 105 at moment too?

I assume the increase in Speed for the Kitchener Line is due to the improvements around Guelph?
Correct. Although the Guelph slow zone was lifted on 16 December 2021, the associated travel time savings weren't reflected in the timetables until 22 January 2022, hence why they showed up in this year's summary. The travel time for express trains is now 1h35, compared to 1h40 in autumn 2021.

The slow zone in Georgetown is still in place and there seem to be considerable delays in their plans to resolve it.

Last edited:
FYI

1673039605983.png

1673039700570.png

^ Obvious question but I assume the buttons on the doors will still open them within the minute they are closed before the train rolls? cc @smallspy
I don't think those buttons have ever been used for anything. I'm not sure if all the doors even have buttons.

An odd move. Especially given how padded the schedules are at Union. Why not just pad them a minute more (by cutting into the dwell time).

I don't think those buttons have ever been used for anything. I'm not sure if all the doors even have buttons.

An odd move. Especially given how padded the schedules are at Union. Why not just pad them a minute more (by cutting into the dwell time).

I've used them before at Oshawa. I think they closed the doors because of how cold it was outside.

Yeah I have used the buttons as well while the train was sitting at Kitchener, but not all the coaches have them - the others just had the doors open.

Here in the Netherlands it is standard procedure to close the doors 20 seconds before the departure time, and start moving on the first second of the departure time. I actually find that a stupid practice, because the point of the schedule is to tell the riders when they need to be at the station. In my opinion they should close the doors at the departure time and depart 20 seconds later so people don't always need to subtract 20 seconds from when they get to the station. It's really annoying to miss the 09:00 train when you were already on the platform at 08:59:45.

I agree with nfitz. If they need more time in the schedule, then add more time in the schedule. And if they want to bump up their own metrics, then move the internal departure time to 20 seconds past the minute. It doesn't take a full minute to close the doors.

Last edited:
Perhaps the 1 minute rule has to do with the conductor closing and checking doors on both sides in addition to taking in the ramp.

Not both (north/south) doors and also volumes at union of people running to catch train. But, to your point I think that would only apply to LE/LW?

I suspect this is all about passenger behaviour when they get to the platform at last minute.

Intaxication - the euphoria when you get a tax refund, until you realise it was your money in the first place.

Same thing here - you will dash for the platform, see the doors closing, gesture indignantly to the CSA, who will open the doors again, and you will feel better. And then the doors will close and the train will leave on time.

The same bad behaviour will still happen, only a minute earlier.

I would much rather that the train leave exactly on time and we deal with people who can't accept that they were 15 seconds too late.

- Paul

Back