News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This an example where a section of a train is cut off from the KW train using EMU. As that section departs west, another section from the west is arriving and couple onto the KW train to be the same length going to Union like it arrived at KW.

An 3 section EMU would have more than enough capacity to handle the ridership. As ridership increase, you could move to an 4-5 section train.
What does the train length matter if the host railroad/station owner won’t provide access?

Metrolinx theoretically could've added a provision for a future tunnel when they sold off the land adjacent to Danforth GO, but instead they sold it for a quick buck without any community benefits whatsoever, in potentially one of the most shortsighted selling of a piece of land we have witnessed in recent times.

There's now a development proposal for Main Square where the city could theoretically work with the developer to secure such a provision, but it doesnt really make much sense anymore since Metrolinx dropped the ball on their end. Unfortunately that was pretty much the last "affordable" option to create any logical connection between Main Street station and Danforth GO, so I dont see the connection ever being improved between the two.

Even a pedestrian walk way somewhere through Main Sq Community Centre, or Canadian Tire parking lot would make that connection easier (no climbing the ramp only to walk back down a potentially icy slippery slope to get to Main). Problem is that the self store garages are in the way.

Even a pedestrian walk way somewhere through Main Sq Community Centre, or Canadian Tire parking lot would make that connection easier (no climbing the ramp only to walk back down a potentially icy slippery slope to get to Main). Problem is that the self store garages are in the way.

No they are not, they're demolished. That's the site of the 6 Dawes Apartments by Fitzrovia, now under way.

However, there is no tunnel incorporated into the design for that site, so far as I'm aware.

I think a tunnel at the stage of various proposals is a serious challenge and questionable use of funds, for reasons discussed in multiple other threads.

But we can certainly address icy conditions by having a snowmelt system put under the sidewalk/path between the two stations, in relative terms, that's cheap.

In the medium term, there is a need to remove that really good Shwarma place at the corner to create a more reasonable capacity and streetscaped sidewalk between Danforth and Main Station.

If we can just get, decent width, decent lighting, decent wind mitigation and snowmelt, then I think we've made that connection a lot more pleasant; all for a fraction of the cost of a tunnel.

No they are not, they're demolished. That's the site of the 6 Dawes Apartments by Fitzrovia, now under way.

However, there is no tunnel incorporated into the design for that site, so far as I'm aware.

I think a tunnel at the stage of various proposals is a serious challenge and questionable use of funds, for reasons discussed in multiple other threads.

But we can certainly address icy conditions by having a snowmelt system put under the sidewalk/path between the two stations, in relative terms, that's cheap.

In the medium term, there is a need to remove that really good Shwarma place at the corner to create a more reasonable capacity and streetscaped sidewalk between Danforth and Main Station.

If we can just get, decent width, decent lighting, decent wind mitigation and snowmelt, then I think we've made that connection a lot more pleasant; all for a fraction of the cost of a tunnel.
How about an above ground covered walkway?

There is certainly enough room to have a roofed and somewhat enclosed structure between the south side of Danforth and the GO station that would meet your (very reasonable) climate mitigation suggestions.

1697588837659.png

Expropriation would be somewhat costly, but one has to assume that someone is assembling land on that northeast corner block and some sort of development will ensue. Certainly a setback would be achievable in a negotiated development package. One wonders if a tunnel from the south side corner to the mid-level of the subway might actually be achievable if and when the corner building is demolished and an excavation happens. Probably a wait and see proposition.

1697588978479.png

- Paul

Just mapping out a concept map
View attachment 514698
This seems like an odd concept pattern. If UP Express demand is so high that we need separate services, have an all-stop service and an express service that stops only at Bloor, Mt. Dennis, and Woodbine.

This seems like an odd concept pattern. If UP Express demand is so high that we need separate services, have an all-stop service and an express service that stops only at Bloor, Mt. Dennis, and Woodbine.
For a train the size of a GO train to get up to speed those stations are too close.

LRT would be okay

None of that makes any sense! Route 21S between Kipling and Union? No bus service to Port Credit?
Nope!

Screenshot_20231022-122355.png

I really hope this is some kind of communication error, because the replacement bus service they have communicated makes no sense whatsoever. They're still going to dump all of the Milton line customers at Lakeshore West stations even though there is no Lakeshore West train, and apparently they are completely abandoning Port Credit, Long Branch and Mimico. Ignoring 416 stations is nothing new to GO but dropping Port Credit is a new low.

Nope!

View attachment 514820

I really hope this is some kind of communication error, because the replacement bus service they have communicated makes no sense whatsoever. They're still going to dump all of the Milton line customers at Lakeshore West stations even though there is no Lakeshore West train, and apparently they are completely abandoning Port Credit, Long Branch and Mimico. Ignoring 416 stations is nothing new to GO but dropping Port Credit is a new low.
It would make a lot more sense if it was 21C as in Erindale-Sq One-Cooksville then heading to Kipling and Union after, so Port Credit riders at least have Cooksville or Clarkson to head to. Or even if its the interlined with the 29 that already heads to Kipling. This 21S routing however makes 0 sense and even more questionable considering the subway will do a much better job in time given if the Gardiner has traffic.

Back