News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Not surprised. It's easier, me thinks, to walk to King and Victoria and catch the Route 7 from the VIA/GO station.

Brampton cancelled all but one of its GO shuttles in the 2000s as it changed to the grid-based system, though many routes continue to feed the three GO stations there.

Yes, I think the success that Brampton has had has been by creating higher frequencies on more routes and having more of those routes connect with GO Stations.....I think they once had 4 shuttles and they dated back to when the system was much smaller.....they started off by stopping adding more as the city grew and then started deleting them as they really are superfluous.....even the one that remains is, for most of its route, a mirror of the Bramalea (15) bus with a bit of a detour through the F,G,J sections....can't really see it surving much longer.

I drove by the Richmond hill extension today, the new track is completely laid but from what I could tell the station itself hasn't started construction. Couldn't tell about the yard, it was too far away to see. The Leslie street crossing is horrible though, if you aren't slowed to a crawl you could easily destroy your car.

I drove by the Richmond hill extension today, the new track is completely laid but from what I could tell the station itself hasn't started construction. Couldn't tell about the yard, it was too far away to see. The Leslie street crossing is horrible though, if you aren't slowed to a crawl you could easily destroy your car.
So RH is really happening in 2016 huh. Shocked.

lots of suburban growth in the area and several new subdivisions are in the prep stage to start to close the gap between Richmond Hill and the 404. It'll be well used.

Last edited:
lots of suburban growth in the area and several new subdivisions are in the prep stage to start to close the gap between Richmond Hill and the 401. It'll be well used.

That's so good to hear. Painful for me to say this but you can't really say this because they will still have to bring to Yonge Line to Lagnstaff even if the RH line is highly successful.

Not just completely laid - it's been in service since November or December. As far as I an tell, the yard is ready to go as well.

Really not sure what the hold-up is with the extension of service, since the original in-service date was at the end of December, and it seemed as if the infrastructure was in place.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Not just completely laid - it's been in service since November or December. As far as I an tell, the yard is ready to go as well.

Really not sure what the hold-up is with the extension of service, since the original in-service date was at the end of December, and it seemed as if the infrastructure was in place.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Lack of Engineers?

Lack of Engineers?

Not at all, we'd have enough for at least a few new jobs. But remember this is not a new service just an extension of one. As smallspy said it would make better use of crew since trains wouldn't have to deadhead to RH in the morning from Willowbrook yard and vice verse in the evening.

That's interesting. So I guess much more hours now. Would hate to be them.

Doesn't work that way. The maximum amount of hours we work is federal regulated by the provisions under the Work/Rest Rules for Railway Operating Employees. Besides that, they've gotten stingy and have actually cut back overtime as much as possible, with most jobs working around or a little over 40hr/week. And lastly there will always those who love OT, quite a few in fact who would be quite happy to see the return of more 50+hr/week jobs :)

Not at all, we'd have enough for at least a few new jobs. But remember this is not a new service just an extension of one. As smallspy said it would make better use of crew since trains wouldn't have to deadhead to RH in the morning from Willowbrook yard and vice verse in the evening.

Doesn't work that way. The maximum amount of hours we work is federal regulated by the provisions under the Work/Rest Rules for Railway Operating Employees. Besides that, they've gotten stingy and have actually cut back overtime as much as possible, with most jobs working around or a little over 40hr/week. And lastly there will always those who love OT, quite a few in fact who would be quite happy to see the return of more 50+hr/week jobs :)

Thanks for the info! Seems this delay is one of those unexplainable ones. Hopefully RH gets all day service soon.

Not surprised. It's easier, me thinks, to walk to King and Victoria and catch the Route 7 from the VIA/GO station.

Brampton cancelled all but one of its GO shuttles in the 2000s as it changed to the grid-based system, though many routes continue to feed the three GO stations there.

or just walk a block from king st lol

From the budget:

The government recently announced its commitment to double current service frequency
between Kitchener and Toronto, from four to eight train trips per day in 2016. To support
this, Metrolinx recently reached an agreement in principle to purchase the 53-kilometre rail
corridor between Georgetown and Kitchener. This purchase would add significantly to the
section of the Kitchener corridor that Metrolinx already owns and would provide additional
flexibility and control to help improve service and reliability for GO commuters on the
corridor. This is part of the government’s commitment to deliver full-day, two-way
GO train service.

Back