News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

IIRC, the UPX maintenance facility was planned for the area by Islington north of the Weston Golf Club by the 401.

Edit: IRC'd
Report_Key_Maps_stations_colour_Rev1_Sept09.jpg

http://www.gotransit.com/electrification/en/default.aspx

Last edited:
To Environment minister right? A strengthened greenbelt and bumped up density/infill requirements for municipalities will give the transit long-term purpose. Transportation Minister deals with the specifics of the implementation but the Environment Minister defines what is required.

Depending on your viewpoint, this may be a promotion with regards to transit.

That's a good point. He may very well be just working on a different side of the same coin. Effective land use policy needs a good transportation infrastructure plan as a foundation, and transportation infrastructure plans need good land use policies to maximize their effectiveness.

Why to Mimico? For maintenance? I thought they were recommending a new facility by the airport to avoid that.

I was just going based off of what was recommended in the 2010 Electrification Study (http://www.gotransit.com/electrific...y/docs/ElectricificationStudy_FinalReport.pdf). The option for electrifying the UPX and Kitchener corridor involved electrifying to Mimico as well, in order to have access to the yard.

It could be however that plans have changed since that report was issued, and that the UPX will be using it's own yard as opposed to piggy-backing onto an existing GO yard.

Noticed on the screens at Union tonight that there is now a customer service notice that starting July 2 trains on all corridors should expect delays due to scheduled track maintenance. Combined with the Gardiner lane closures and the Lakeshore lane closures....sure making Toronto tough to get in and out of.

I get that work has to be done....but does it have to be done on all complimentary routes at the same time?

During the Metrolinx meeting today McCuaig said that electrification would cost $10 - $12 billion (rough estimate, actual costs to come by September).

I don't see that at all. Given all day 2 way service is set to cost $3 billion according to the Cost - Benefit studies Metrolinx has done on them, and the average of $16-$18 million per KM (coming from the $1.8 billion for Lakeshore electrification and $450 million for UPX electrification) for electrification, it should work out to around $8 billion (assuming electrified service terminates as Mount Joy, Richmond Hill, East Guilimbury, Mount Pleasant, and Lisgar). Add a billion for the Union Station tunnel, and you still only get around $9 billion.

Maybe they are counting the Electrification to Kitchener, Niagara, and Barrie, I don't know. those portions would come from the "outside of GTA" pot anyway.

During the Metrolinx meeting today McCuaig said that electrification would cost $10 - $12 billion (rough estimate, actual costs to come by September).

I don't see that at all. Given all day 2 way service is set to cost $3 billion according to the Cost - Benefit studies Metrolinx has done on them, and the average of $16-$18 million per KM (coming from the $1.8 billion for Lakeshore electrification and $450 million for UPX electrification) for electrification, it should work out to around $8 billion (assuming electrified service terminates as Mount Joy, Richmond Hill, East Guilimbury, Mount Pleasant, and Lisgar). Add a billion for the Union Station tunnel, and you still only get around $9 billion.
Wait ... your dissing the $10-$12 billion rough estimate, but say it really should be $9 billion?

Toss in a 15% contingency on your $9 billion and it's in range.

Allow for inflation and it's in the range.

It's close enough ...

Maybe they are counting the Electrification to Kitchener, Niagara, and Barrie, I don't know. those portions would come from the "outside of GTA" pot anyway.

The next phase projects sheet that ML put out for the introduction of AD2W service on the non-Lakeshore lines put the cost at $4.9B not sure I have seen $3B anywhere.

the $4.9 billion included big ticket peak service expansion, a ton of the money was going to be spent on new yards and trains.

Metrolinx did a costing of AD2W service to Milton, Barrie, Bowmanville, Bloomington (richmond hill line) and Stouffville IIRC and the total of the double tracking was $3 billion. I guess a small amount of work would need to be done on the Kitchener line, but nothing more than a couple hundred million.

its a bit old though, I will admit. (2010)

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regiona...ation/benefitscases/Benefits_Case-GO_Rail.pdf

the $4.9 billion included big ticket peak service expansion, a ton of the money was going to be spent on new yards and trains.

Metrolinx did a costing of AD2W service to Milton, Barrie, Bowmanville, Bloomington (richmond hill line) and Stouffville IIRC and the total of the double tracking was $3 billion. I guess a small amount of work would need to be done on the Kitchener line, but nothing more than a couple hundred million.

its a bit old though, I will admit. (2010)

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regiona...ation/benefitscases/Benefits_Case-GO_Rail.pdf

Remember when I was driving people nuts with how angry I was over the very limited expansion of service planned after the GTS was finished.......well back then in my conversations with GO and Metrolinx they told me a "not insignificant" portion of that $4.9B still had to be spent on the Kitchener line to allow for AD2W service on KW line.

They kept saying that 3, and in some places 4, tracks were needed for AD2W service and the cost of getting to 3 or 4 in Brampton was much higher than people know.

Our conversations ended their because they then went on to say that the $4.9B was not, and could not be, broken down by line.

the big move costs tend to overstate the costs. the Dundas BRT is supposed to cost $466 million but they have $600 million "budgeted", the DRL south of Bloor is supposed to be around $6 billion but they have $7.3 billion, etc.

All lines outside the GTAH area will see electrification with funds coming from a different pot for funding them, not cover in the current $16B. I still say the price tag is too high considering the Lakeshore is peg at $1.9B.

Time frame is 10 years within the GTAH area with KW being the first outside the area to be done.

All things are in place to electrify the UPX lines, but no timetable as to when, as it sits in the lap of Hydro One. Until they sign on with a transmission line and sub station, the plan is dead at this point.

One thing that needs to happen and nice to hear, Metrolinx and the province are going to talking to Transport Canada to change the FRA standards to EU standards. Not going to happen overnight and about time to change the rule regardless what the US does as this Canada, not some state of the US. There are talks and testing underway in the US to move toward EU equipment standards.

There is no firm direction how lines will become Electrify and will come more clear in the fall as how EA will be done for this program. It could be one big package or line by line.

Current think the KW line will be Electrify to Bramalea first with the rest of the line following after it down the road.

Regardless how this unfurls over the next year, the current system is going to look a lot different in 10 years.

Interestingly enough, the new Barrie "Maple express" trains will only be 6-packs.

Indeed, it appears that I neglected to mention that. They will be L6s, scheduled to run with F59s. The reason is that they need to shorten the trains as much as possible so that both can be coupled together to fit on one of the tracks at Allandale Yard.

What about the extra 2 evening runs to Allendale? will these be 6-packs too?

The last two runs that run north, the 18.05 and 18.45 trains, will be the L6s back north. Then will then be coupled together for storage. The L10L trainset that ran on the 18.05 train will now be scheduled northbound 15.40 train.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back