News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iWwp7CPh1c

Full Metrolinx board meeting on RER electrification.

I'm 20 minutes in, and so far, I haven't heard anything you can't read in the document itself.

[edit]
*) Hmm... Lakeshore Junction rail-rail grade separation (in Hamilton) is estimated at a ballpark cost of $500 million
*) We probably already know this, but CP wants a rail-rail flyover at the Humber river (Lambton golf course) on the Milton line to fully separate GO from freight as GO crosses to the north tracks on the Milton corridor. Pegged at $125 million. CP requires complete separation of freight and GO in order to allow more service.

Last edited:
I'm 20 minutes in, and so far, I haven't heard anything you can't read in the document itself.

[edit]
*) Hmm... Lakeshore Junction rail-rail grade separation is estimated at a ballpark cost of $500 million
*) We probably already know this, but CP wants a rail-rail flyover at the Humber river (Lambton golf course) on the Milton line to fully separate GO from freight as GO crosses to the north tracks on the Milton corridor. Pegged at $125 million. CP requires complete separation of freight and GO in order to allow more service.

Right, we won't be using any of the actual CP rail for RER, just the corridor.

I would imagine that eventually an express/commuter (peak service) diesel bi-level service might run Union -> Milton and then all stops to Cambridge however, which would perhaps run on the actual CP lines as the line does now. It would put to good use all of the surplus bilevels and diesel locomotives we will have after RER begins on Lakeshore/Kitchener lines first.

Going through some of the documents again from the September 5th board meeting:

The 2014-15 business plan seems to confirm that the Lewis Road layover in Stoney Creek is going forward, as lands will be acquired. Still no commitment to Confederation GO Station though. It also raises more rush-hour trains on the Barrie, and extending the 30-minute window on Lakeshore.

The 2015-2020 Metrolinx Strategic Plan proposes expanding the fleet from 466 to 650 buses, as well as 65 train consists (although with 65 locomotives now, I don't know how much expansion that is). Gormley GO Station is slated for opening in 2016. As part of the proposed "next wave" of projects they have extensions to Stoney Creek and Bownmanville, and two-way all-day on all lines except Richmond Hill north of Langstaff GO.

Kitchener line. (38:00)

Brampton constraints:
"We do have to add track through [the CN owned portion of the] corridor. There are certain bridge structures that constrain what we can and cannot do. So we would actually design the service to have a constraint rather than rebuild the bridges through Brampton."
They say that the Mount Pleasant Express/Local split point is the result of this constraint. Service plan is still being refined, so nothing is certain quite yet.
Provincial High Speed Rail requires dialogue with the province.

It also raises more rush-hour trains on the Barrie, and extending the 30-minute window on Lakeshore.
Which they already implemented at the end of June.

I don't see any point presenting the 2014-2015 plan to the board after the start of the period, and after they've already implemented all of the very modest improvements they've promised.

I also wonder why there is no mention of the restoration of the mid-day service on the Georgetown line from Bramalea to Union that was temporarily suspended in April 2010 for construction. By the time the 2014-2015 year ends in March 2015, construction should be completed to the point that this service can be restored.

Which they already implemented at the end of June.

I don't see any point presenting the 2014-2015 plan to the board after the start of the period, and after they've already implemented all of the very modest improvements they've promised.

I also wonder why there is no mention of the restoration of the mid-day service on the Georgetown line from Bramalea to Union that was temporarily suspended in April 2010 for construction. By the time the 2014-2015 year ends in March 2015, construction should be completed to the point that this service can be restored.

What sort of mid-day service was there? I am just curious because I was not aware of this service on the Georgetown line.

What sort of mid-day service was there? I am just curious because I was not aware of this service on the Georgetown line.
The January 2010 weekday quick table for Bramalea tells the tale. Light green are trains - https://web.archive.org/web/2010020...n/PDF/Quicktables/UNION/CurrentBoard/BLGO.pdf

Compare to the current table - http://www.gotransit.com/timetables/en/PDF/Quicktables/08141214/USTN/BLGO.pdf

Essentially there was a 10:25, 12:15, and 1:45 pm depature from Bramalea, and a 9:40, 11:30, and 1 pm departure from Union. And the current 3:30 pm departure left at 2:45 pm.

The January 2010 weekday quick table for Bramalea tells the tale. Light green are trains - https://web.archive.org/web/2010020...n/PDF/Quicktables/UNION/CurrentBoard/BLGO.pdf

Compare to the current table - http://www.gotransit.com/timetables/en/PDF/Quicktables/08141214/USTN/BLGO.pdf

Essentially there was a 10:25, 12:15, and 1:45 pm depature from Bramalea, and a 9:40, 11:30, and 1 pm departure from Union. And the current 3:30 pm departure left at 2:45 pm.

Wow, so mid-day and reverse-peak trains. Didn't know that.

Its a shame we lost all of our reverse-peak trains, this and the Milton and Stouffville ones too from the early 90's.

Its a shame we lost all of our reverse-peak trains, this and the Milton and Stouffville ones too from the early 90's.
The press release accompanying the removal in April 2010, said the Bramalea cut was temporary. It's to be restored once construction has finished. But when will that be?

Going through some of the documents again from the September 5th board meeting:

The 2014-15 business plan seems to confirm that the Lewis Road layover in Stoney Creek is going forward, as lands will be acquired. Still no commitment to Confederation GO Station though. It also raises more rush-hour trains on the Barrie, and extending the 30-minute window on Lakeshore.

Going forward? It's already under construction.

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/projects/lewis_road_facility.aspx
https://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolinx/sets/72157646432042359

The 2015-2020 Metrolinx Strategic Plan proposes expanding the fleet from 466 to 650 buses, as well as 65 train consists (although with 65 locomotives now, I don't know how much expansion that is). Gormley GO Station is slated for opening in 2016. As part of the proposed "next wave" of projects they have extensions to Stoney Creek and Bownmanville, and two-way all-day on all lines except Richmond Hill north of Langstaff GO.

Nitpick - they have 75 locos in the fleet (67 MP40PH-3s and 8 F59PHs) right now, with another 10 currently on order for delivery in 2017. There are currently 50 trainsets in service, with a new one scheduled to start this January.

They have also exceeded 500 buses in the fleet - they recently had a bit of a celebration at a number of their garages whereby one of the newest double-deckers was renumbered into 500. By the end of the year they will be close to 540 buses on the property.

The slippage of the opening of Gormley Station to 2016 is curious, seeing as how they were still projecting it to open at the end of this year as recently as March.

The press release accompanying the removal in April 2010, said the Bramalea cut was temporary. It's to be restored once construction has finished. But when will that be?

September 2015.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Ouch. They'd get some good will if they were to do this before or at the same time the Union-Pearson service was to start.

I don't disagree, but it looks like they're waiting until after the Pan-Am mess (and ensuing clean-up) before starting it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I don't disagree, but it looks like they're waiting until after the Pan-Am mess (and ensuing clean-up) before starting it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Waiting until after an event that might drive some off peak use and raise awareness of the service?

Waiting until after an event that will see significant lane closures on roads where the gov't is asking us to cut the number of cars on the road by 20-25%

Last edited:
Waiting until after an event that might drive some off peak use and raise awareness of the service?

Waiting until after an event that will see significant lane closures on roads where the gov't is asking us to cut the number of cars on the road by 20-25%

I suspect that the problem is one of staffing and equipment.

GO will be running a lot of special trains during the Pan-Am games, and will need a lot of rolling stock and staff to equipment them. Once the event is over, that staff and rolling stock will now be available for other services.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back