News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

It would've been great if they would have at least secured space for a future station at West Toronto junction (kind of like crossover stations like Secaucus Jct. in New Jersey, for those who are familiar) in their reconstruction plans.

I've thought about that same thing. Just like Secaucus Jct. it's not the best location for a station, especially with another stop at Bloor so close. But if we get regular service on both lines it will eventually become necessary.

i hope they take into consideration the future crosstown GO service.

Hi long time reader first time poster.

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this or not so feel free to move it if its in the wrong place.

I'm just looking to get peoples opinions on the idea of adding a GO station along the Richmond Hill Line within Toronto at Eglinton just under the bridge (near flemingdon). I think that with the new crosstown Eglinton line in the works it may be a good place to add another GO station to help relieve some of the pressures from Union even though the Richmond Hill line isn't one of the busiest. Obviously there would have to be an LRT stop on the Bridge or near the bridge at least.

As far as I can tell there's never been any mention of this idea but I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions on it.

Thanks.

One of the issues is the vertical spacing between the roadway and the valley. It is a good place for a stop but it might be difficult to engineer the connection.

I'd prefer the reactivation of the Don Mills diversion via the abandoned CP-CN connecting track. That could cut down the Richmond Hill line travel time by at about 10 minutes easy.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. It would also facilitate a downtown ring line and allow for a useful station in East York,

How many would you need? If the station is deeper than a subway station then stairs become impractical and you would need an elevator for everyone.

There's stations in London and New York that use only elevators except emergency exits, like Covent Garden (which I've used) and 168th Street respectively. It's possible, but perhaps not all that practical.

Hi long time reader first time poster.

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this or not so feel free to move it if its in the wrong place.

I'm just looking to get peoples opinions on the idea of adding a GO station along the Richmond Hill Line within Toronto at Eglinton just under the bridge (near flemingdon). I think that with the new crosstown Eglinton line in the works it may be a good place to add another GO station to help relieve some of the pressures from Union even though the Richmond Hill line isn't one of the busiest. Obviously there would have to be an LRT stop on the Bridge or near the bridge at least.

As far as I can tell there's never been any mention of this idea but I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions on it.

Thanks.

I have already call for 5 new stations with a possible 6th depending if GO use CP tracks to the core.

I agree with the Eglinton stations as it's one in my report. The bridge will have to be upgraded. John St in York is another location.

It remains to be seen whether GO Transit has heard of a new fangled technology called "elevators".

I'm not sure if GO understands "elevators" what they are or supposed to do based on the ones I have seen installed at Aldershot, Burlington Parking Structure, RHC Bridge and revamp stations.

You need more than one elevator per station and platform.

I lived on Hook Ave. In 2007, it's the street on the south-west corner of the actual diamond. The backyard literally backed on to it. I hadto leave because I couldn't take the noise. I don't mean the horrendous clatter made by freight trains passing through the diamond (if you've never heard this, go check it out some day), but the constant 6am to 9pm construction work all summer long. They did a hell of a lot of work over the past three years at that crossing.
I can't remember exactly, but an architecture or planning consultant firm has it's offices right there next to the houses on Hook. They all drive expensive cars....

You need more than one elevator per station and platform.
Then build several. If London Transport can build stations a hundred years ago that have only elevators and no escalators (and stairs so long that no one climbs them), surely GO could design some high-capacity large elevators.

Then build several. If London Transport can build stations a hundred years ago that have only elevators and no escalators (and stairs so long that no one climbs them), surely GO could design some high-capacity large elevators.

They built stations without elevators because they weren't invented yet. It wasn't until the turn of the century when they were first installed en mass. The minute the escalator was perfected they began installing them and took many of the elevators out of service - but escalators are very unreliable outdoors.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea and I'm not saying it's not dooable. I'm just saying it's going to be slow to exit the station if everyone tries to take a half-dozen elevators at once. Just go to any office building at quitting time and watch.

And as much as we like to romanticize the London Underground, remember that "elevator stations" are among the things that have given it a bad rep on functional and safety grounds over the years. You definitely *wouldn't* want to do things that way again, any more than you'd use wooden slat escalators...

Back