News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Where do you find those slides?
Various sources, usually on Twitter, but sometimes from GO Transit PDF files. Good target twitter accounts are @Metrolinx, @GOTransit, and @StevenDelDuca. Also worth paying attention, are their Facebook pages, plus some Google-Fu such as ("file:pdf site:metrolinx.com OR site:gotransit.com"), and keeping an eye on their respective blogs.

I embed the hyperlinks to the sources at my other post:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...cluding-extensions.4952/page-457#post-1019366

What is needed from ML is a complete project listing identifying all the "necessary and sufficient" capital projects that must be completed to enable this service package, with a confirmation that funding has been approved for each, and a gantt chart identifying when the EA, design, procurement, and construction activities for each are planned. Then we can measure whether there is progress towards each one. And what showstoppers still remain.

This is still simply smoke and mirrors. You can't run trains without bridges, tracks, signals, crossovers, sidings, etc, etc.

I would love to be proved wrong on this, but there it is.

- Paul

I took a poke at the hypothetical improvements that could be made to the Kitchener service assuming current track configuration plus completion of two known under way projects, ie Guelph Sub CTC plus a third track Silver to Georgetown. My hypothetical schedule is attached. It shows the existing schedules (in black) with new trains or changed schedules in red. I sped up the Kitchener-Georgetown running a touch.

It is clearly possible to run a fleet of four trains out of Kitchener in the morning on thirty minute headways. If one makes these express trains from Brampton or Bramalea, it is possible to run local trains from Bramalea to Union in between these without having anything catch up with anything. That validates that the 4-train Kitchener promise is doable.

If you assume that the Bramalea trains deadhead out from Union as required, running in between UPE trains, there is enough track (in theory) to make this all fit.

It's less clear that there is an ability to deadhead trains as far as Mount Pleasant in the face of a mixed express/local fleet, so I left these as Georgetown-originating trains.

That's a very significant improvement over today's service, but it's far short of the 15-minute 2 way promise. So - when does the track expansion begin?

- Paul

Attachments

• Weston sub Musing Sheet1.pdf
    20.7 KB · Views: 424
Presumably "journey times reduced by 50%" is compared to buses that get stuck in traffic.
Makes even more sense.

And all the new LRT connections (Hurontario, Crosstown) that interchanges between GO stations, too. Instead of just one loop created by the TTC two lines, we now have many frequent-service rapid-transit rail loops in traffic-separated transit lines that can zoom along.

London and New York City have lots of loops in their transit maps, while Toronto only has one. Beginning with the Crosstown LRT, the next 10 years will change this very dramatically. If you add it all up, there'll be something like 10 frequent rapid-transit traffic-separated rail loops in Toronto's map with all the new RER and LRT lines. That's almost an order of magnitude more loops than today. (e.g. Bramalea/SmartTrack RER interchanges with Bloor and Crosstown, Barrie RER interchanges with Bloor and crosstown, Unionville/SmartTrack RER interchanges with Bloor, Hurontario interchanges with Lakeshore West (and eventually Brampton 15-min RER once freight contention issue is solved, like parallel trackage). More such loops can thus be completed with a long-term possible future ugprade of Milton lines, and of course, the DRL, though beyond the next 10 years.

Last edited:
Makes even more sense.

And all the new LRT connections (Hurontario, Crosstown) that interlines between GO stations, too. Instead of just one loop created by the TTC two lines, we now have many frequent-service rapid-transit rail loops in traffic-separated transit lines that can zoom along.

London and New York City have lots of loops in their transit maps, while Toronto only has one. Beginning with the Crosstown LRT, the next 10 years will change this very dramatically. If you add it all up, there'll be something like 10 frequent rapid-transit traffic-separated rail loops in Toronto's map with all the new RER and LRT lines. That's almost an order of magnitude more loops than today. (e.g. Bramalea/SmartTrack RER interlining with Bloor and Crosstown, Barrie RER interlining with Bloor and crosstown, Unionville/SmartTrack RER interlining with Bloor, Hurontario interlining with Lakeshore West (and eventually Brampton 15-min RER once freight contention issue is solved, like parallel trackage). More such loops can thus be completed with a long-term possible future ugprade of Milton lines, and of course, the DRL, though beyond the next 10 years.
Maybe I don't really know the meaning of interlining because what I think those lines you talk about above do is "connect" or "cross"

Any idea what happened today on Lakeshore West? The 1443 and the 1513 were both cancelled due to an "operational error".

Combine that with Jays game traffic. Ouch.

Reading Twitter it seemed to start with the 13:38 departure from Oshawa (aka the 1443 from Union) being "stopped east of Ajax due to an operational error and is out of service." Then the 14:08 from Oshawa ended up leaving Whitby 26 minutes later because of the earlier operational error.

All very odd ... perhaps Thomas was in a snit, and turned into the siding at Whitby by accident ... :)

Any idea what happened today on Lakeshore West? The 1443 and the 1513 were both cancelled due to an "operational error".

Combine that with Jays game traffic. Ouch.

I have seen "operational error" crop up as the explanation for delays more and more recently. It's almost as infuriating as the much dreaded "earlier problems".

Is it something to do with the crewing? Perhaps someone calling in sick at the last second, or arriving later for their shift, and there's no one able to replace them in time?

When does Go typically release the new schedules, in this case important due to the service expansion, as I would like to see what the new service looks like?

We're speculating, but having two successive trains cancelled makes it unlikely that the cause was a lateness, or sudden illness. I have seen "crew availability" used as the explanation a few times, so one would think that GO would have said so if that was the reason this time.

The fact that these two trains would have been in the same zone east of Durham Jct at the same time makes me think that some operational 'event' involved both. That could be a dispatching error (e.g. track taken out of service, blocking the line) or an investigation of an operating error that affected both trains, pulling both crews out of service.

- Paul

When does Go typically release the new schedules, in this case important due to the service expansion, as I would like to see what the new service looks like?
Reading up the thread ... they were up by August 11 last year. It was August 15 in 2012 and August 23 in 2011.

Now Labour Day is a week later this year. So presumably sometime next week. I expect they wanted to wait until after the Bay Concourse media blitz is over, and the Parapam games.

With the announcement of full day service to Brampton (and Unionville too say some) expected, presumably there'd be a photo op back slapping event, instead of the just the usual press release.

Back