News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

@^

You can plant two vegetables today or plant one big tree tomorrow.

Now here's the catch: The tree isn't being delivered until tomorrow.

The Milton line will get all day service, but it is a much larger job and will take much longer - but it will get done.

Shouldn't that be two small veggies today AND one big tree tomorrow? Or am I missing something?

Had me worried there that we were going to see Barrie and Stouffville OR Milton. That would have invariably led to this thread devolving into the SRT replacement thread...

Scarberian: A Milton line upgrade would improve the commutes for more people and better serve the growth plan of the GTA!
Scarberian's opponent of the week: But the Barrie line is LONGER! It serves more of the GTA!
Scarberian: It runs through cornfields and serves 100,000 people while ignoring 400,000 people to the west! The place is served by a free-flowing highway, improved bus service would likely be faster than the train!
Scarberian's opponent of the week: What do you have against the people of Barrie? That greenbelt could be developed adding thousands more people!

------------------

Heh. Wrote my stats exam today. Luckily my prof was AWESOME.

The extension of the GO trains to Barrie will start service on December 17 (Merry Christmas, Barrie!) and all-day service will be introduced as soon as the track improvements are complete. They're included as part of the MoveOntario 2020 Quick Win projects.

Finally, a transit body that knows how to improve service. Can't wait ;)!!

But the Barrie line is LONGER! It serves more of the GTA!

Technically Barrie is not apart of the GTA, but rather a urban centre in of itself. We'd be getting into Central Ontario territory by this upgrade.

Finally, a transit body that knows how to improve service. Can't wait ;)!!

Technically Barrie is not apart of the GTA, but rather a urban centre in of itself. We'd be getting into Central Ontario territory by this upgrade.

And so it begins...

Metrolinx's operating area is the regional municipalities of York, Peel, Durham, Halton and the cities of Toronto and Hamilton (but could be extended at anytime with a simple decisions from the Premier's office).

However, all provincial planning for the GTA includes the above area plus the regional municipalities of Niagara & Waterloo, the counties of Haldimand, Brant, Wellington, Dufferin, Simcoe, Peterborough & Northumberland; and the cities of Brantford, Guelph, Barrie, Orillia, Kawartha Lakes & Peterborough. This, as many of you have heard, is the Greater Golden Horseshoe.

Honestly, the boundaries are just lines and we cannot limit ourselves by drawing them and saying "everything on our side is important and nothing else." Traffic that crossed the northern border of Peel Region from Dufferin county increased by 35% in the last three years, so obviously those people are involved with the GTA - shouldn't we include them and plan for them if they are going to use our services?

I would like hourly trains leaving from Union to Bramalea soon...

They Have 9:30, 11:30, 1:00 and then 3:15...

It should be 9,10,11,12,1,2,3:15 and so on...

At least a 2:00 train, the bus gets like 100-150 people trying to board it...

It would increase ridership and it has been growing quite a bit on that line...

I would like hourly trains leaving from Union to Bramalea soon...

They Have 9:30, 11:30, 1:00 and then 3:15...

It should be 9,10,11,12,1,2,3:15 and so on...

At least a 2:00 train, the bus gets like 100-150 people trying to board it...

It would increase ridership and it has been growing quite a bit on that line...

Funny you should bring this up:

Not five minutes ago did I get off the phone counselling my friend who's waiting on the platform at Bloor Station. She had the choice of waiting an hour for a train, then two bus connections to Georgetown, or backtracking to Union to get the 6:30 bus.

My fear is that GO considered the half-hourly service on the York Mills local as a substitute for hourly service on the union station run.

IT IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE

it should, the 2:00 bus is getting very busy that there are over 150 people lining up for a bus that fits what 60 people +standing and there is increasing use of GO on that line to go in between stops (not going to Union)...

Trains at 11:30 are rather well used and are getting busier then a when they were first started. Easily this is a perfect place for increasing ridership...

Are there any good reasons why the Georgetown (or Bolton) line isn't getting better service other than a hatred of Brampton (or Vaughan)? Traffic in the NW part of the GTA is arguably worse than anywhere else and there's so much potential for the lines.

It also is a good way to connect North West Toronto to downtown easily and cheaply...

This line does not really serve Vaughan at all.

It goes to Woodbine through following Weston road and following Dundas street... and then goes through Malton to along Steeles to Bramalea station which is a rather large station and goes to Downtown Brampton and then West Brampton and then to Georgetown...

Not really to Vaughan or Bolton...

It serves really Northwest Toronto, Northeast Mississauga, Brampton and Georgetown.

Also at Bramalea station there is a increasing amount of people who get to the station by bus as there as more and more bus routes being added and the frequency is increasing. This easily allows Bramalea to handle All day service...

Ask Hazel. She is supposed to represent Brampton on the GTTA board. As if.

GO Transit has provided hourly (at least) bus service to all corridors to Union except Georgetown and Richmond Hill (which I can understand, given its proximity to Viva and the Yonge Line). And yes, their spin is that the 90 minute trip to York Mills is a subsitute - they've fed me that bull crap for 10 years.

The trip from Union to Mount Pleasant takes 48 minutes, so hourly, both way service could be run using two trainsets on a tight schedule. You would need a passing siding at Etobicoke North Station.

You could run hourly service both ways to Brampton station on a more forgiving schedule, with a passing siding at Weston Station.

The oddball in the equation in West Toronto.

But right now, I would gladly take hourly buses.

Yeah why don't they have all trains like that.

Why does a train go all the way from Union to Bramalea empty??

There would be maybe 100-150 people who would get on it from Union at least...

Like a 3:15 train comes from Union why can't it go back the same way? Is it because the stations have one sided platforms??

Like lake shore service is done this way...

Back