News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

No, this probably will not affect the Niagara seasonal which will continue to be a single continuous train trip. Being a seasonal, it is not subject to the GO guarantee (AFAIK).

This is a separate weekday commuter service with independent Toronto-Hamilton and Hamilton-Niagara legs, using Hamilton as GTHA's only other GO train transfer hub.

This seems to make sense because Welland Canal delays will mess up Hamilton-Niagara, but all-day Toronto-Hamilton service is unaffected, preserving the Service Guarantee.

The Hamilton-Toronto service would be mostly freed from freight conflict thanks to the new Hamilton Junction Expansion. This enables Lakeshore West GO service to be extended all the way to Hamilton (via West Harbour and Confederation), as a transfer train for the Hamilton-Niagara train.

They might change things and make the train continuous (no transfer), but as written at www.NiagaraGO.ca and the wording of the Ontario announcement is apparently 100% consistent with this (so far), this is weekday all-day Hamilton-Niagara GO train that doesn't go to Toronto. So that apparently is what stands.
Same. We might not know for years.
It could be a train-to-bus transfer for now (e.g. GO Bus #12). Ugh.
But whatever it is, what was announced was a train that definitely doesn't reach Toronto. Which is a brand new concept for GO Transit.

The tease of electric GO trains to both West Harbour and Stoney Creek now makes a lot more sense, even if unfunded. Electfify the Toronto-Hamilton leg and get high-frequency train service on that. Then have a less frequent Hamilton-Niagara train.

People can then transfer either at West Harbour or Confederation. Service disruptions on Hamilton-Niagara (by Welland) doesn't matter, people just wait for the next all-day 2-way Lakeshore West train.

This is what I think. Or I hope.

Here's the service concept from www.NiagaraGO.ca as they've been heavily tweeting today's event, and the announcement text was fully consistent with the NiagaraGO plan.

View attachment 79935

Interesting reading can be had at www.NiagaraGO.ca/business-case/

Being apparently a GO train that doesn't even reach Toronto, it is a new Metrolinx development to decouple any GO train service partially from Toronto.

One can wonder if there are other theoretical service concepts waiting in the wings. (Hamilton-Brantford GO train?)
Oh wow. This has the potential to be huge. Commuters to Hamilton and Toronto from Niagara region will be helped heavily by this.

So when will the Junction be done for all day service to Hamilton?

Wow, I totally missed that Hamilton would be the terminus and that this would be the first non-Union terminus for a GO train. Interesting!

So when will the Junction be done for all day service to Hamilton?
End of 2016.

But even though West Harbour GO becomes technically capable of all-day 2-way GO service as early as 2017*...

...it may not be activated till the 2020s because of politics, the need for A-Line LRT, and the need for business case (Niagara train traffic).

I'm praying for good news though; of an announcement of hourly all-day 2-way GO train service that begins in by next election (2018), to help convince Hamilton to keep the Hamilton LRT on track.

Steven Del Duca needs to set up a podium in Hamilton, and give the juicy details.

*Virtually all the CN-side pre-requisites are already funded/under construction to satisfy Hamilton hourly all-day 2-way GO service -- at least to West Harbour -- as described in the 2011 Niagara ESR. It does not need a rail-to-rail grade separation for hourly. However, the Rail Junction Expansion is actually above-and-beyond these pre-requisites -- it was not even listed as a pre-requisite. All of these pre-requisites finish construction by 2017.

Last edited:
UPDATE! Good news! Confederation is still on track, not delayed by 2 years as feared.

>>Construction on the new Confederation GO Station in Hamilton is expected to start in 2019, with completion expected in 2021.

They've edited it already:

>>Construction on the new Confederation GO Station in Hamilton is expected to start in 2017, with completion expected in 2019.

(Ontario: Tut, tut! ... Hamilton, long neglected, should deserve a smidgen more respect and proofreading in announcements.)

Past extension plans have been Brantford, Peterborough, Cambridge, Uxbridge, Bloomington, Bowmanville, Niagara Falls and Bolton.

Bowmanville and Bloomington are official.

Brantford is easy as its on CN tracks and exsiting station.

Niagara Falls also easy as its CN and existing station, but need infill stations and to upgrade a bridge.

Uxbridge somewhat easy as its Metrolinx line, but have to negotiate with the current special train service on it. Also tracks need repair.

Peterborough more difficult due to CP tracks (although infrequently used) and in dire need of repair. Also would need to enable/repair the Don Branch. Also VIA may be eyeing these tracks for HFR.

Cambridge very difficult due to CP mainline. Need new trackage and/or Missing Link.

Bolton very difficult due to CP mainline. Need extra trackage.

Thanks for the GO expansion 101 explanation. With such a large area, it's hard to remember exactly what's where and what's happening. I guess I was basing my post on the GO2020 and Big Move1.0 plan/vision (where Bolton, Bloomington, Bowmanville, Uxbridge, Locust Hill, Seaton were all semi-official). Whereas St Catharines/Niagara Falls, Brantford, Cambridge, Peterborough were theoretical possibilities (that over time would become promises->official plans). I guess these things are more like moving targets at this point.

Kinda a shame about Bolton. Having a GO line roughly paralleling the 427 extension would definitely serve the communities and future subdivisions, while providing more of a choice against the car. Particularly if 413 gets the greenlight. And I guess ditto for North Pickering subdivisions coming online, but no tangible plans for GO service north or south of there.

Being apparently a GO train that doesn't even reach Toronto, it is a new Metrolinx development to decouple any GO train service partially from Toronto.

With the possible apparent new Metrolinx mindset of allowing a non-Union GO train -- one can wonder if there are other theoretical service concepts waiting in the wings over the next 20 years? (Hamilton-Brantford GO train, anyone?)

Ah I see now, a separate non TO-bound line between Hamilton and Niagara Falls. I guess that would be a first.

At the risk of sounding a bit negative on a day of good news...... it's somewhere between ironic and downright disappointing that none of the forward looking documents from today's ML Board meeting even mention the potential for service to Niagara.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...ail&utm_term=0_43955045ad-37d0c8e754-94526533

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...ail&utm_term=0_43955045ad-37d0c8e754-94526533

- Paul

At the risk of sounding a bit negative on a day of good news...... it's somewhere between ironic and downright disappointing that none of the forward looking documents from today's ML Board meeting even mention the potential for service to Niagara.

- Paul

Are there 4 identical links here?

There aren't meant to be, but oddly when I cut and paste they end up the same. Very odd.

The 4 documents are

- Discussion paper for the next Regional Transportation Plan (2 documents)
- GO Regional Rail Update
- Five Year strategy 2017 - 2022

- Paul

There aren't meant to be, but oddly when I cut and paste they end up the same. Very odd.

The 4 documents are

- Discussion paper for the next Regional Transportation Plan (2 documents)
- GO Regional Rail Update
- Five Year strategy 2017 - 2022

- Paul

Post them in separate posts?

Many thanks for posting the link Paul. Not finished reading it, it's a summation with little new in it save for itemizing what's going forward. The intro is a good condensation, and contains this crucial point we've discussed prior:
In order for SmartTrack components to be procured alongside RER, the Province and Metrolinx require the City of Toronto’s commitment to full funding (including capital with escalation and financing, operating/maintenance costs for SmartTrack, and operating/maintenance costs for LRTs) by November
30, 2016.
It's one thing for QP to drag their heels, but they are moving ahead on things, I have very serious concerns about the City doing so, especially in light of Tory still living in a dream on the Scar Sub Extension. Not only does he still insist on jamming a wrench into the fiscal machinery, Wynne still insists on providing it to him. It's beyond bizarre...

Just noted this though that defines something that another poster had mistakenly claimed to be "a covered walkway" a month or so ago in a parallel string at this site.

Bloor-Davenport (Bloor St. near Lansdowne Ave.)
[...]
Subject to further analysis of corridor service implications and commitment by the City of Toronto to provide accessible, weather-protected, pedestrian connection to Lansdowne subway station
I'll post reference to this in the http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...rconnected-hub-network-metrolinx.16392/page-3 forum and further discussion there, as I propose tunneling east from the Dundas West subway platforms to at least clear to the east side of the Weston Corridor after connecting to the Bloor Station, and then passage (either under/through new commercial development) or bored tunnel to the Davenport-Bloor GO station and Lansdowne TTC Station.

The ostensible block on the now very past-due underground connection of Dundas West and Bloor stations is down to "lack of City funding" to do it. That's going to happen with the entire hub too, so what I would suggest is that the City start entertaining, and zoning for, a commercial project that will build the needed pedestrian connections and then cater to those same pedestrians by shopping concourses. The Lansdowne-Bloor area is beyond ripe for massive redevelopment, the City had best start planning ways for private enterprise to seize the opportunity to build this infrastructure, as the City loves to talk building things, but hasn't the financial resource to doing it.

Still reading the report, it does have some crystallized ideas given a new time frame, albeit most of it is restated ideas with an approval stamp on it.

The quoting part of the forum software is a bit buggy. The "quote" tags can be edited many times, and still keep reformatting in a way not intended, it's complicated by using brackets e.g: [...] in the quotes, which the software reads in an unintended way. There's a number of bugs, what happened with your links might be one.

A situation where Niagara region had stations with low (GO/CN) and high (GO shuttle/Amtrak-VIA) platforms would be interesting :)

Still has to traverse Hamilton Junction though. With the increase in Hamilton CN GO traffic too...

There are a bunch of questions for a Brantford service:

1. If it cannot stop at Dundas (due to to the grade) it is only a 2 stop train (Brantford and Hamilton...maybe a suburban and downtown stop in Brantford). Compare to Niagara which goes through a lot of towns.
2. Which station in Hamilton/Bulington should it stop at? Aldershot or West Harbour?
3. Has to get by the Junction
4. Do we want suburban development to jump the Escarpment and be built on prime farmland?
5. Six Nations concerns

To nitpick....

Past extension plans have been Brantford, Peterborough, Cambridge, Uxbridge, Bloomington, Bowmanville, Niagara Falls and Bolton.

Brantford is easy as its on CN tracks and exsiting station.

Not easy at all. CN's Dundas Sub is quite busy, far more so than the Grimsby Sub. CN will want some serious improvements to the line to allow for GO service, no doubt.

Niagara Falls also easy as its CN and existing station, but need infill stations and to upgrade a bridge.

Relatively easy. Again, there will be corridor improvements to be made.

Uxbridge somewhat easy as its Metrolinx line, but have to negotiate with the current special train service on it. Also tracks need repair.

Extremely easy to extend service to Uxbridge, as Metrolinx/Province of Ontario own all of the track. There is no negotiation necessary.

What is making extension of service to Uxbridge difficult is the lack of ridership.

Peterborough more difficult due to CP tracks (although infrequently used) and in dire need of repair. Also would need to enable/repair the Don Branch. Also VIA may be eyeing these tracks for HFR.

For whatever reasons, Metrolinx has no interest in running trains to Peterborough, at least not in any immediate timeframe. As you have noted, it would cost quite a bit to bring the line up to snuff to allow the travel times to be competitive. VIA has no interest in the corridor, however, so that saves a potential headache.

Frankly, the biggest issue with Peterborough is trying to figure out how to get the trains through or around Agincourt. This may become moot if CP sells off the land and moves to a new yard to the east - but it may not either if traffic volumes return to the levels of a couple of years ago.

Cambridge very difficult due to CP mainline. Need new trackage and/or Missing Link.

Bolton very difficult due to CP mainline. Need extra trackage.

I would consider both Cambridge and Bolton easier to accomplish than Peterborough. Both have - at least as far as Metrolinx is concerned - far more ridership capability than Peterborough. In fact, Bolton has been on GO's radar since the early 1990s. Yes, they will require quite a bit of work to allow service to be run (especially CTC'ing the Galt between Guelph Jct and Cambridge), but nothing that is insurmountable or hasn't been done.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back