News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

On the "Metrolinx rebranding" issue...it's still rather nebulous, so I Googled to get a better idea of what it's all about (self prophetic) and found the campaign had actually started last year.

Take a look at this video, very slick and professional, very well done...but it actually *dilutes* any specific recognition of what "Metrolinx" is...note they feature the TTC and other "partners":

Here's a shorter version:

Reference: http://marketingmag.ca/advertising/metrolinx-launches-public-education-campaign-186965/

Metrolinx/GO does a horrible time of marketing these things.

They need to put pamphlets in peoples mailboxes in the area saying the new train schedules, advertise at the stations, maybe a day where the off-peak trains are free, ads that not just tell people the trains are there, but give them reason to do so "Leave the car at home and have a fun night in Toronto, drink responsibly, go to a Jays game, etc etc"

Nope, Del Duca spends all the marketing on having a podium and glamour shot.
This is true. My friend who lives near Unionville Station didn't even know there were late night trains to Union Station until I told him, and he usually pays attention to public transit issues.

The trains don't really help you get to Toronto at a decent time though since there are no downtown bound trains between 4pm and 9pm. I only took it because it was a fast way for me to get back home.

Last edited:
This is true. My friend who lives near Unionville Station didn't even know there were late night trains to Union Station until I told him, and he usually pays attention to public transit issues.

The trains don't really help you get to Toronto at a decent time though since there are no downtown bound trains between 4pm and 9pm. I only took it because it was a fast way for me to get back home.
Another case in point, one of the most express "Express Buses" I've ever known:

upload_2017-7-26_17-44-34.png

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/GO_Transit_route_39_'Kitchener'

It was cancelled due to...you guessed it...pathetic ridership. No-one hardly knew about it! I'm up on these things, scoured the best way to get back and forth from Guelph to Toronto with a bike (not allowed on the peak trains) and this not only allowed that, and on the connecting trains, but it did the distance Guelph to Bramalea in the same time as the train did, *even with the slow section down to Aberfoyle on Hwy 6!* (In fact, the schedule showed it two minutes faster) The only way I found out about it was noticing a "39" on the stops with the two other routes.

One time I took it to Guelph and I was the only passenger on-board. Private express. And it really moved, esp along 407.

What an incredible shame, but I can understand them cancelling it. What I can't understand is why they didn't 'sell' it with PR and advertising.

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-26_17-44-34.png
    upload_2017-7-26_17-44-34.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 390
Another case in point, one of the most express "Express Buses" I've ever known:

View attachment 116167
https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/GO_Transit_route_39_'Kitchener'

It was cancelled due to...you guessed it...pathetic ridership. No-one hardly knew about it! I'm up on these things, scoured the best way to get back and forth from Guelph to Toronto with a bike (not allowed on the peak trains) and this not only allowed that, and on the connecting trains, but it did the distance Guelph to Bramalea in the same time as the train did, *even with the slow section down to Aberfoyle on Hwy 6!* (In fact, the schedule showed it two minutes faster) The only way I found out about it was noticing a "39" on the stops with the two other routes.

One time I took it to Guelph and I was the only passenger on-board. Private express. And it really moved, esp along 407.

What an incredible shame, but I can understand them cancelling it. What I can't understand is why they didn't 'sell' it with PR and advertising.

RIP the 39. It was basically the backup bus if you missed the last train to/from Guelph. It was still slower than a train itself.

It was still slower than a train itself.
Depending on the bus chosen, it was actually faster! (Edit: Proviso, if you subtract the overlap time at Bramalea)(although meeting was usually very tight) The evening return (just a single run) was two minutes less scheduled v. the train. The morning ones were close to train schedule time. For all intents and purposes, you're right though, it was the *supplement* to act in lieu of extra trains, just as the Kitchener express run is now. Since that wiki reference above was composed the later 39s were in fact signed as Guelph buses. Interestingly, almost all of the buses (at least in the final years) were relief runs from routes other than the Aberfoyle or Kitchener depots. Many if not most were run from Toronto depots, at least some dead-heading to Guelph or Bramalea after their morning runs elsewhere to do the Guelph run.

Recent article on GO service expansion on the Stouffville Line.

On an article linked from that page, complaining about the horns: https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-...ays-yes-to-11-p-m-markham-go-train-horns-too/

"What is happening is unacceptable," said Ioulia Khadiyev of Markham, noting the trains run right by her home. "It is just sad... I have welcomed a new addition to my family and I don't want to move. I don't want to be forced to move. There is no value in horns. Horns are not the solution. It is outdated. they have been terrorizing our hundred-plus houses for close to 28 years. We need the solution yesterday."

Good grief. These people should move to Syria and see what being terrorized actually means.

Well, as much as the Unionville service is here to stay, and people need to adjust......Metrolinx does such a crappy job of maintaining proper dialogs with communities ahead of their actions. I'm not surprised that the community is surprised. They have floated lots of airy PR fluff about RER, sure.... but all couched in generalities and by-2025 vagueness. There has been an absolute lack of serious and respectful outreach to each neighbourhood to say, "Hey, this affects you, and it is actually happening soon and it's actually going to affect you, and here's how".

The double tracking project is in full swing, so now there is a good community outreach happening from that.....but the fact that all day service was actually coming soon was not communicated to the community. One can't blame them for missing a memo - there was no memo.

Of course, since these improvements are pulled out of a hat at QP, and ML's community relations people probably didn't know they were going to run the trains until a few weeks before we did, and the goal was photo ops rather than building a transit network, what can they be expected to do?

- Paul

CBC News has this article on the concerns by some commuters about the loss of the bus service when the mid-day GO trains were introduced. I wonder if people on other likes, like the Kitchener Line, would also be concerned if fewer trains replaced the buses? (Just saw TOareaFan's post)

CBC News has this article on the concerns by some commuters about the loss of the bus service when the mid-day GO trains were introduced. I wonder if people on other likes, like the Kitchener Line, would also be concerned if fewer trains replaced the buses? (Just saw TOareaFan's post)
I think, in general, GO does a lousy job with switching from buses to trains.

I have said before, what they should do when switching to hourly trains from half hourly buses is maintain one of the buses and cancel one. So (in a simplistic model) if there are buses on the hour and half hour now...move to trains on the hour and buses on the half hour. People who prefer trains will wait for the train (and trains will likely attract new riders...so overall ridership is built)...people who are more concerned with frequency will hop on the bus on the half hour rather than waiting for the hourly train.....do that for a year, monitor if both the train and the bus are being used or if there is a strong bias to one or the other and then adjust service as needed.

Per the above, I'm all for experiments so I'd say go for it. I do wonder if there are any obstacles to doing this? Enough buses? The overlap of having two services arrive at the same time (obviously in different locations - train/bus). Are there any factors to consider folks are aware of when GO makes the decision of removing buses in favour of trains? It would be interesting to know their rationale for what they did for the Stouffville Line.

Back