News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What time did you arrive at the bike docks?
7:40am
Are you coming from the east or west of Union?
From Cabbagetown, so Carlton to Sherbourne to Richmond to Bay, straight down Bay. Docks at NE and SE corner of Bay-Front full, SW had space.
Did you board via the teamway or via York Union Concourse?
York Union Concourse, I think, basically went in front doors from Front, asked info guy who said take Concourse. I walk around the corner and up one set of stairs to the platform.
Don't forget to tap out after you disembark.
Otherwise, you get charged almost 12 bucks (full trip to Hamilton).
Yeah, I didn't tap when I got to Port Credit for that reason.

It will be interesting catching the train home, as it's scheduled to depart Port Credit at 5:42pm, giving me 12 mins to hustle down the street. I wonder if those trains are generally on time?

Too bad you can't just jump on and tap Presto via your phone. The GPS knows where I am.

That would allow people to scam the system since GO is proof of payment, and you could then just pay when you see a fare inspector.
They could just copy YRT and make it so that you have to pay BEFORE the train arrives/leaves with a timer for validity. If they want to go even further, make it AUTOMATICALLY pay once you step onto the vehicle, but that’s still years/decades away.

With the growing amount of people having [lots of] data on their phones, is Wifi on trains really worth investing in?

My daughter hotspots when she's on GO for work reasons (we're on a shared plan with 8 GB) and uses up her share of the data halfway through the month. I heard a kid on the GO the other day telling someone he was almost out of data. Lots of data is still pricey so I WiFi connect whenever I can. Sure we have larger data plans than we used to, but phones are chewing up way more data than they used to as well.

7:40am
From Cabbagetown, so Carlton to Sherbourne to Richmond to Bay, straight down Bay. Docks at NE and SE corner of Bay-Front full, SW had space.
York Union Concourse, I think, basically went in front doors from Front, asked info guy who said take Concourse. I walk around the corner and up one set of stairs to the platform.Yeah, I didn't tap when I got to Port Credit for that reason.
If you're coming from Cabbagetown, you can save 3 minutes of time if you use the Bay West Teamway instead (your train often leaves from Platform 25/26/27). Don't use Bay East Teamway for Lakeshore morning trains since they are currently serving the boonie platforms (24/25/26/27).

It's unmanned, ugly, construction and utilitarian, but it's 3 minutes faster to reach from the Bay bikeshare stations. You'll be fighting an opposing-flow crowd, but you'll get on the train sooner -- without even entering Union Station! Sidewalk straight onto the train.

When commuting home (for your counter-commute), remember to board near the eastmost end of the train, preferably roughly the third coach from the east. When you arrive at Union, you simply exit via the easternmost staircases ("Bay Teamway") directly onto the Bay Street sidewalk. Boom, just like that. Saves you 3-5 minutes.

Last edited:
My daughter hotspots when she's on GO for work reasons (we're on a shared plan with 8 GB) and uses up her share of the data halfway through the month. I heard a kid on the GO the other day telling someone he was almost out of data. Lots of data is still pricey so I WiFi connect whenever I can. Sure we have larger data plans than we used to, but phones are chewing up way more data than they used to as well.
This is all true....but that is the 3rd consecutive interview (2 in print and now this video) where when this new top guy lists the problems that passengers have with GO the first thing he lists is wifi.

Everyone likes free wifi....and yes, using someone's wifi is (from a dollar and cents perspective) better than using your own data plan.....but surely this is not really the biggest issue facing GO at the moment? A little less than a month on the job it appears the new top dog thinks it is!

This is all true....but that is the 3rd consecutive interview (2 in print and now this video) where when this new top guy lists the problems that passengers have with GO the first thing he lists is wifi.

Everyone likes free wifi....and yes, using someone's wifi is (from a dollar and cents perspective) better than using your own data plan.....but surely this is not really the biggest issue facing GO at the moment? A little less than a month on the job it appears the new top dog thinks it is!
It's a great distraction from the real issues..
oh look - hydrail!

I have a 12 gigabyte plan, and I've run over due to hotspotting on GO commutes.

One good practice is to avoid videos unless you really need to play it, and turn off video autoplay in web browsers (Chrome extensions, etc).

Always turn off cloud syncing and software updates (e.g. Dropbox, SkyDrive, iCloud, etc) when on the go. If you must cloud sync over LTE, make sure you're fully synced your laptop (e.g. green Dropbox indicator) before you leave home or work.

These tricks alone, reduced data use by 50-75% alone.

Back