News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^ I wonder if it's an automated tweet in the Metroland system based on when any article is posted. If you click on the link in the tweet it says "Mississauga News". Fully agree that Metroland should calibrate their system because I can see how Brampton commuters could get frustrated with this.
fully automated news reporting (IMO) is the same as

shows just how little media scrutiny there is

:) :)

I'm seriously thinking about emailing Metrolinx my fustrations over the lack of service on the non Lakeshore lines?

^ Better in my view to copy Metrolinx, but address it to your current MPP and the nominated candidates for all parties.

I wish you well with that and truly hope your success with it exceeds my experience over the past decades.

Yeah, anyone who thinks MPPs seriously care about this stuff, or have any real power over Metrolinx in this matter, is in for a rude awakening.

I'm seriously thinking about emailing Metrolinx my fustrations over the lack of service on the non Lakeshore lines?

Both Lakeshore East and West have over double the number of riders than other lines (other than Milton which has the CP issue). Even with electrification it is predicted that Lakeshore will continue to grow faster than other lines (based on # of riders...% growth is less)

If you look at how long it took to get Lakeshore to where it is now it will give an indication at how long the other lines will have to wait.

You have to:
- double or triple track
- add more grade-seperations
- fly-over/under's
- parking and connections with local transit
- while this is happening attain volume of 12,500+ riders at AM Peak

Then the line will have sufficient volume to run trains throughout the day. If you don't do it this way there is a very high risk that the subsidy required will be crippling. And in 3-5 years the transit will be scaled back (what happened with Bob Rae in the early 90's recession).

Both Lakeshore East and West have over double the number of riders than other lines (other than Milton which has the CP issue). Even with electrification it is predicted that Lakeshore will continue to grow faster than other lines (based on # of riders...% growth is less)

Do you think service level has something to do with that? Do you believe that, maybe, some percentage of those people are actually people living closer to other lines that drive to Lakeshore to actually get some service?

All things being equal (ie. all lines getting full and equal service) I have little doubt that Milton (the line that cuts through the heart of Mississauga) would have the highest ridership and I don't think Kitchener would all that far behind.

If you look at how long it took to get Lakeshore to where it is now it will give an indication at how long the other lines will have to wait.

You have to:
- double or triple track
- fly-over/under's

Then the line will have sufficient volume to run trains throughout the day. If you don't do it this way there is a very high risk that the subsidy required will be crippling. And in 3-5 years the transit will be scaled back (what happened with Bob Rae in the early 90's recession).

Lakeshore line inherited these conditions of many tracks from the previous owner (CN) and they also benefited from the nature of how GO Transit came about and was intended (No freight sharing and dedicated tracks by creating a bypass for CN with the York Sub)

The other lines were sort of an 'add-on' to the Lakeshore GO system because of various reasons but some of them are using old single track branch lines (Barrie and Stouffville) freight mainlines (Milton, Richmond Hill and a significant portion of Kitchener)

They were never setup as true GO lines in the same way Lakeshore was. They were sort of half-assed compromises, filling in lost service from VIA/CN/CP trains that were cancelled, or from political pressure.

If these lines got the attention that the Lakeshore line did when it was conceived, they would have just as much or similar ridership.

Especially Milton and Kitchener.

^The problem has been ML's lack of speed in upgrading its other lines. Once the double track is there, enabling 2WAD, they will be well used.

I took the Unionville line today. The double tracking is coming along, but I would not describe it as a full-scale mobilization. Sure would like to see the Gantt chart for that project.

- Paul

You have to:
- double or triple track
- fly-over/under's

Right, but they have been provided money and time to do this. Now it's they don't want to overpay for certain sections of a line. Something has to give, this is ridiculous.

^The problem has been ML's lack of speed in upgrading its other lines. Once the double track is there, enabling 2WAD, they will be well used.

I took the Unionville line today. The double tracking is coming along, but I would not describe it as a full-scale mobilization. Sure would like to see the Gantt chart for that project.

- Paul

I realize RER sells well as a political issue, but I always felt like we should have simply focused 100% of our energies on track doubling and tripling first.

Then once all the GO lines were doubled/tripled (depending on express service) focus on electrification.

Back