News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Personally I'm all for GO Transit being the Government of Ontario Transit and serving, you know, the WHOLE province. Or at least a greater proportion of it. It's not called Toronto Transit.

^^What exactly would that be? Would it be a sort of commuter rail for the entire Province, like to Ottawa and London? Ottawa could definitely use a few commuter rail lines (in both provinces,) and I'll bet that one or two commuter rail lines would get the gears turning in London.

Or would it provide rail service to the entire Province, kind of like a provincial bus service? I'd certainly like to see some little EMUs start running around Southern Ontario, or at least some busses running between towns.

The demand is definitely there for both, but I'd make it a totally new corporation. GO is kind of chained to Toronto right now, seeing's how it's merged with Metrolinx.

Last edited:
Not sure commuter rail would work very well in Ottawa. The train station is located far away from downtown and any major employment centres whatsoever. Regardless OC Transpo seems to serve the suburbs well enough as it is.

People GOTta Move?
Gino_VannelliSHOP.jpg

Technically, GO could set up anywhere within Ontario. Sadly, it has made itself Toronto-centric (which isn't a bad thing but isn't a good thing either lol)

When you consider that GO was founded to provide inter-city transit in the Toronto area (before it was called the GTA) and that for a portion of GO's history it was directly funded by the municipalities in the GTA.....it is not at all surprised that it is focused in this area.

Yeah, I think it'd work much better if Ottawa (and possibly London,) took care of commuter rail themselves. It doesn't really make much sense for Go to fragment themselves all over Ontario, after they've established themselves as the Golden Horseshoe's regional transit service.

Yeah, I think it'd work much better if Ottawa (and possibly London,) took care of commuter rail themselves. It doesn't really make much sense for Go to fragment themselves all over Ontario, after they've established themselves as the Golden Horseshoe's regional transit service.

I disagree. I'd love it if GO ran all public transit in the province.

I'd really like to see GO expand its service further into Niagara and act as the inter-city service that Niagara sorely needs. I think it's pretty much the only way Niagara will get any sort of inter-city service up and running since they've been squabbling over who would pay for the service for years. For an area that is having a lot of trouble keeping up with the GTA, it'd be a real help for a lot of people.

I disagree. I'd love it if GO ran all public transit in the province.
I disagree. GO is really way too established in the GTA to be a rail operator for all of Ontario. For them to be, they'd need a major reorganization. I think it'd be a lot easier just to make a new Ontario transit operator. GO's really turning into more and more of a Metro S-Bahn/RER service, and I wouldn't expect them to start providing service for the entire province.

I'd start a new operator, which would be dedicated to providing fast and reliable interurban, local rural service, and starting up commuter rail for smaller cities, all with easy connections and transfers with other transit operators such as VIA, Go and local transit operators.

GO can run all the transit in Ontario, but it was created to provide service for the GTA/Golden Horseshoe, and it's specialized itself to reflect that.

I disagree. GO is really way too established in the GTA to be a rail operator for all of Ontario. For them to be, they'd need a major reorganization. I think it'd be a lot easier just to make a new Ontario transit operator. GO's really turning into more and more of a Metro S-Bahn/RER service, and I wouldn't expect them to start providing service for the entire province.

I'd start a new operator, which would be dedicated to providing fast and reliable interurban, local rural service, and starting up commuter rail for smaller cities, all with easy connections and transfers with other transit operators such as VIA, Go and local transit operators.

GO can run all the transit in Ontario, but it was created to provide service for the GTA/Golden Horseshoe, and it's specialized itself to reflect that.

Just because GO was created as a commuter system doesn't mean it can't grow. It's Government of Ontario transit. It's mandate isn't necessarily limited to Toronto and Hamilton. It and Metrolinx provide the means and funding to serve the province's whims for transit in the province. If the province decides it, that's what GO shall do. GO can grow.

If the intercity trains are green and called GO, or if they're red and called Trillium Express, doesn't really matter. But regional vs. inter-city transit are different animals and probably shouldn't be handled as equals by management.

It's funny that you mention the S-Bahn and RER. The Berlin S-Bahn is a division of Deutsche Bahn (German National Railways) and for the Paris RER, 3 of the 5 lines are run by SNCF (French National Railways).

I think management needs to be independent, but that doesn't mean that multiple divisions can't exist (just like TTC bus and subway divisions have no bearing on each other).

Back