News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This one is what excites me the most.

Not excited about Ford though -- but the Hamilton service improvements.
Would you be excited if Ford was the one to announce it at the press release (if there is one) instead of only the minister of transportation? I definitely would, as that means he acknowledges GO exists.

No 15 minute service on LSW?

They can to Oakville - almost.

The issue is that because of how the track is arranged, and how the schedules are arranged (and how they will be arranged), that a train will have to layover there for about 30 minutes before it is scheduled to leave. And the incoming train, which would use the pocket track, would then have to wait at the interlocking at Chartwell for the first one to leave before it could access the track. It would be a bit of a mess. Not insurmountable, sure, but not easy.

Further west, they run into issues with CN's freights, both the transfers between Aldershot and Oakville, and the daily switcher servicing the industries along the line. And that there are no pocket tracks until Aldershot in which you could stash a train turning back.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Would you be excited if Ford was the one to announce it at the press release (if there is one) instead of only the minister of transportation? I definitely would, as that means he acknowledges GO exists.
It's a good point. We've gone from uninvited feast (Il Duce) to famine. Where is Yakabuski? Hanging out with Waldo?

Some of us would be far less acerbic to Ford if he'd just shut the fug up, and let the grownups do some intelligent talking. Maybe the grownups have locked him out, and they're busy inside plotting the coup that has to come?

The issue is that because of how the track is arranged, and how the schedules are arranged (and how they will be arranged), that a train will have to layover there for about 30 minutes before it is scheduled to leave. And the incoming train, which would use the pocket track, would then have to wait at the interlocking at Chartwell for the first one to leave before it could access the track. It would be a bit of a mess. Not insurmountable, sure, but not easy.

Further west, they run into issues with CN's freights, both the transfers between Aldershot and Oakville, and the daily switcher servicing the industries along the line. And that there are no pocket tracks until Aldershot in which you could stash a train turning back.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I wonder if there's the possibility of re-opening the 4th track (or is it the 1st track, the northernmost one) at Burlington GO to use as a pocket track. It may involve lengthening the northern platform eastward as the track has basically been sliced by the path leading from the west end of the platform of the parking garage, but I think it would be doable.

This would potentially lead to a mid-day service pattern where every 2nd train short turns at Burlington, while every other train runs to West Harbour.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I would rather vast improvements on the non lakeshore line then 15 minutes on lakeshore lines.

^ What does it say in the last annual report/business plan? Does it break it down by line? I wish GO would make those stats easier to find.

Would 15 minute service be overkill? Or would we actually see trains getting good use?

Also do we have any updated ridership numbers for GO + UP daily ridership? Wiki says ~255k per day but I've got to imagine thats gone up with the UP express + more train service and other optimization as well as TTC cofare etc.

There is no way of knowing for certain, but I would think that if the government proceeded with the Wynne plan to offer $3 short-haul fares, then beefed up service will likely attract a material number of new riders.

Infill stations will also be crucial.

It should be added here, that new riders don't pop up overnight, for the most part, as people have habits, established modes of travel and it takes time for changes in service level to induce demand. Though as the King Street improvements showed, latent demand may existing and show up quickly, but I suspect that would be more applicable to rush-hour service on GO when trains are full or close to full.

I would rather vast improvements on the non lakeshore line then 15 minutes on lakeshore lines.

While I agree this should be the case ideally, I imagine that many improvements are being held until certain construction projects are complete.

There is both an issue of whether capacity supports and improvement, but also the impact on construction of more frequent train service.

On a personal level, I would be most enthused for off-peak GO service into Hamilton; but I very much support seeing weekend service for Brampton and Stouffville.

^When I ride LSE/LSW at midday and in the evening, I am impressed at just how full the trains are. I would think that 15 minute service would draw more people still. So I’m happy to see that happen.... but ..... the first mile/ last mile options have to be improved. There isn’t a parking spot left mid-day from Oshawa to Oakville.
As noted, the service in other routes is constrained by the lack of track. Construction will solve that - it’s important that these projects are kept moving and that the long-lead-time items especially are identified and expedited. And again, first/last mile matters.

- Paul

Back