News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

That is an interesting concept. I'm not sure Metrolinx is ready to insert some odd stopping patterns yet (until Union station RER-friendly signage becomes unbigiously clear) but they would be more feasible than "Express to Burlington, allstop after" with complete removals of stops closer to Union than Burlington.

If something like that were to be implemented, you would almost need screens on the actual trains as well, showing the next stops (like the NYC Subway has). People rushing for trains don't always take time to read the stop pattern.

If the pattern is predictable though, GO can move to a lettered route system to better identify the differences. "Lakeshore West" would become the corridor name, and "W" and "H" could identify the actual routes.

I hope that the bizarre 30-minute gaps in the weekday midday schedule are placeholders for a future express service:View attachment 160293

It's not - there will be a full 15-minute local service.

With the amount of 3- and 4-track sections however, and the locations of the interlockings, I don't see why there couldn't be an hourly - to start - express service overlaid the planned 15-minute local service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

With the amount of 3- and 4-track sections however, and the locations of the interlockings, I don't see why there couldn't be an hourly - to start - express service overlaid the planned 15-minute local service.

A cautionary tale:

I did a return trip Mimico-Milliken today. Coming home, the Unionville-Union train pulled into Scarborough with the westbound LSE side-by-side on T1. Eastbound LSE was making its stop on T3.
T2 was occupied with eastbound Unionville GO leaving Cherry Street, with an eastbound VIA in the block behind it. RTC gave the wb LSE priority on T1, so we followed at moderate speed. Next behind us on T1 was a wb VIA, also travelling at only moderate speed. And the next wb LSE was on his block.

By the time we reached Union, the next eb LSE was already heading out on T3.

I know, we were talking about LSW.....but, my point: those tracks are filling up.

BTW, there were still deadhead equipment trains coming into Willowbrook by around 10AM. So even with 4 tracks in places, LSW is pretty congested. More four track segments may be needed for 2-way express.

- Paul

It's not - there will be a full 15-minute local service.

After Oakville RTC opens -- is it feasible to economically upgrade block density (similar to what happened to Georgetown Corridor)?

To help with scheduling constraints and preventing minor delays from cascading to something major?

This may be easier to do than laying new track initially. The improved signalling could also rough-in future signalling for the future extra tracks & sidings.

After Oakville RTC opens -- is it feasible to economically upgrade block density (similar to what happened to Georgetown Corridor)?

To help with scheduling constraints and preventing minor delays from cascading to something major?

This may be easier to do than laying new track initially. The improved signalling could also rough-in future signalling for the future extra tracks & sidings.

It's not just feasible, it's getting necessary. (@steve will chime in soon about moving to more advanced signalling technology, and he will be right).

However, signalling won't really help interleave express with stopping services if headways continue to be reduced. If those are going to run concurrently in both directions, there needs to be overtaking capacity in both directions at the same time. (Which is why ML is finally getting to a fourth track to Bramalea)

If we ever get to a more "Swiss" timekeeping, it may be possible to plan the slots to let conflicting trains use the same track....but.... that's a big "if" and frankly even one passenger alarm can blow it out of the water.

A stopgap to reduce headways may be to interleave stops - ie two trains each stopping at alternate stations, one behind the other; or one train that skips the first x stops and then starts making local stops further out - which makes both semi express, at the cost of a convenient consistent service pattern where you can ride from any station to any station without changing trains.

- Paul

Last edited:
The OCD in me demanded that I do an amateur back of envelope attempt at a three-track occupancy plan for 15 minute local and hourly express service plan on LSW.

What it shows is - with the current schedule, it's possible to interleave express and local trains westbound from Union, provided there is overtaking capacity (the third track) roughly between Clarkson and Burlington. Clarkson is about as far as a stopping train can get before an express train following (leaving Union just before the next local) catches up.

Looking at the eastbounds, however no overtaking is necessary because the existing stopping schedule is tighter eastbound than westbound.

So, a 15 minute stopping schedule with an hourly express schedule fits into a 3-track LSW.

If the express only runs hourly, there is a window of about 38 minutes when the "westward overtaking track" between Clarkson and Burlington isn't occupied by GO. That's enough time to slide a VIA train through once an hour. However, if the express headways are changed to 30 minutes or less, as will happen at peak, the capacity for express eastbounds is limited to one or maybe two movements, following in between the stopping trains. There is no option to use the third track in the counter-flow direction. This is where a fourth track would be needed.

The Hamilton trains would meet pretty much at the West Harbour station, which happily is where GO has double tracked - using only one track between Aldershot and Bayview.

Overall I was surprised at how well the 15/60 pattern fits the existing track design. (GO clearly knows best!)

- Paul

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 8.58.44 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 8.58.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 8.58.44 PM.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
Very interesting observations that I hope Metrolinx is already aware of, given how obviously the 15/60 slots in the existing tracks that are currently being finished-off. (ha, hirry up, CN and CP, get that Desjardins canal third track into your systems!)

I've got a mind to ask @femwriter to forward this thread (Page 865-866) to the appropriate GO team for review. And a couple of giftwrapped cattleprods to speed up CN/CP/Metrolinx three-party summit talks,

My husband is on LSW; there was just an announcement that the train will be proceeding. Originally they had been told they had to get off and take shuttle buses.

Back