News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

They have always been planning to move to paid parking in some way. As you can imagine it would be a public relations nightmare so they have been biding their time, waiting for just the right moment. DavidH can shed more light on this.
I don't have much to add at this moment, other than what I had heard was that pay parking would come with a decrease in fares. Those paying for parking would come out about the same, but those who switch to other modes of transportation would have the opportunity to save some money.

No idea as to when, though. I have seen a recent reference to "possible parking charges" but no more than that.

For those that are interested, the EA for the Richmond Hill line expansion has been posted:

http://www.gotransit.com/PUBLIC/en/news/ea/richmondhill/ea_richmondhill.htm

TOS

Having read the EA, I have to say I’m pretty underwhelmed. It’s somewhat instructive to see how depending on the consultant involved, the sort of document that gets produced and labeled as an EA varies quite considerably in terms of content and scope. Compared to the Kitchener EA or the very early work that’s gone into the Bowmanville Extension, this is a very different-feeling creature.

Certainly, the level of detail put into Moraine-ish subjects like hydrology and aquifer recharge is absolutely first-rate. That’s the single most important aspect of the natural geography in this neck of the woods, and it’s heartening to see that a significant portion of the assessment team’s man-hours went into studying this, if the number of pages about soil type and coldwater fish habitat are any indications.

But reading the report, you get the distinct feeling that they could just as easily be talking about laying a natural gas pipeline and deciding where best to situate compressor stations. For a transit EA, there’s remarkably little said about transit. Literally zero attention is paid to putting oneself in the shoes of the future GO customer and providing a product that best meets their needs.

I think everyone can agree that a GO Station at Stouffville Road (Gormley) is a home run. Access is great, the land is publicly-owned already, and the neighbours have been aware of it being on the books for 20 years now. The EA makes it quite clear the site has by far the fewest environmental hangups. Finally, the West Gormley secondary plan means that several thousand units are going to be going in within walking/cycling distance in the coming year.

Also, the proposed layover site north of Gormley and south of Bethesda Sideroad is a pretty straightforward best-option pick from an environmental perspective. The other sites further north would all seem to involve filling wetlands or clearing forest.

So yeah, bring on the extension to there post-haste.

But having read the report, I have to say I’m astounded that it carries forward with the recommendation to build a second station at Bloomington Road “soon†after the extension of service to Gormley. If anything, the EA builds the case that a station in that location would involve drastic impacts on the natural environment and would cost way more than is justifiable. What the EA fails to even attempt to address is whether that station would attract ridership. There’re supposed to be 700 parking spots there on opening day. For the life of me, I can’t find 700 commuters—current or future—that would use it. 700 field mice, maybe. Not 700 delightful fare-paying customers.

First of all, let’s look at the site. It is quite emphatically the definition of B.F. nowhere. Draw a 1 km radius circle around it and by my reckoning you include two houses. Kick that out to a 3 km radius and you’re still only collecting several dozen farms and country estate homes. Forget pedestrian or cyclist traffic to it. Forget local bus routes. In fact, it’s so far out of the way from the core of Richmond Hill, Oak Ridges or Aurora that you can probably forget kiss n’ ride traffic. (You really have to love your spouse to voluntarily go 25 minutes out of your way from your usual commute from suburban Richmond Hill to Magna or Woodbridge etc. so you can swing by the GO Station and drop them off.)

So we’re left with park and ride. No worries, you might think. That was always going to be the big draw for this line. And it’s right on the 404! Thousands of cars whiz down it every morning and now they’ll just pull off and park here instead. Perfect.

Except nobody evidently gave any thought to where those cars are coming from. They’re not spontaneously coming into being 400m north of the Bloomington Road offramp. They’re not, by and large, coming from farmlands to the east. They’re starting their morning commutes by pulling out of suburban driveways in Aurora, Newmarket, East Gwillimbury and Georgina. If they’re driving under the Bloomington Road overpass today, chances are good they could easily have driven to one of several GO stations on the Barrie line but chose not to. And in most every case, driving to a GO station on the Barrie line would be a faster option for these people than catching the train from Bloomington Road.

To travel between Richmond Hill and Old Cummer—11.1 km with one intermediary stop—it takes 12 minutes. I’m going to work from the assumption that to travel between Bloomington Road and Richmond Hill—12.6 km with one intermediary stop—it would take 13 minutes. If you’ll forgive the cliché, this gives us the following scenario: two GO Trains pull out of Union station at 5 in the evening going opposite directions at full speed. The train on the newly-extended Richmond Hill line comes to a stop at Bloomington Road station at 5:54. The train on the Barrie line, however, has already pulled out of Aurora station, having arrived there at 5:53, and is already heading on to Newmarket.

In other words, the commuter in suburban Aurora who chose to take the Barrie line home is not only in his car a minute sooner, but he’s also considerably further north and almost certainly closer to home. I ran an admittedly-unscientific round of experimentation with Google Maps and found that there are only a tiny handful of addresses in Richmond Hill or Aurora—we’re talking in the order of 100 homes, tops—where any time savings whatsoever might be accomplished by going to Bloomington Road. And so long as there isn’t complete gridlock on the roads between Bloomington Rd. and Stouffville Rd., it stands to reason that every one of that tiny cohort of commuters could get those same 1 or 2 minutes of time savings by driving a bit further and using the Gormley Station instead. If you want to really improve their commutes, along with a fair few people further west, build a Bloomington Road station all right, but not on the Richmond Hill line… do it as an infill stop on the Barrie line somewhere around here.

Indeed, the Barrie line has a couple more things going for it. For one, the line will see counterflow off-peak service far sooner than Richmond Hill, which will make ditching the car at a park and ride on it that much more appealing. As two of the four trips per day are at capacity, I also think it’s realistic that we’ll see express service bypassing stops south of Aurora in the near future. That would widen the speed gap between Bloomington Road and Aurora/Newmarket/East Gwillimbury even more. (For those of you wondering why exactly the Barrie line is blessed with a speed edge, consider the low operating speed of GO trains winding up the Don Valley relative to the Barrie line’s straight climb.)

What I find frustrating is absolutely none of this sort of thinking found its way into the EA. There’s no effort taken to substantiate the benefits a Bloomington Road station would offer, no forecasts for ridership, not even a stab at costing it out (unlike the Kitchener EA, which has nice little cost estimates for each station). Bloomington Road would require rebuilding the 404 onramp, constructing a grade separation for the entry road, and spending who knows how much extra money mitigating its environmental impact. And every single one of those dollars could be better spent elsewhere on the system to improve GO’s appeal to York Region commuter.

Seeing as I’m not Steve Munro and this isn’t my personal blog, I’m going to stop here for a sec. There’s more where this ire came from. ;)

Free parking for cars ... but you have to pay to park a bicycle?

No, bike parking is still free at the existing bike racks. You pay to store bikes inside a new locked facility.

And not all parking for cars is free. The "best" spots are reserved for drivers willing to pay a monthly fee for them.

Wow, Platform 27, that's a well thought out post. I'm sorry I haven't seen your posts before; let me extend a belated welcome to the forum.

GO to roll into Bowmanville by 2013
http://www.newsdurhamregion.com/news/article/136162
New station also planned for Oshawa
Sep 23, 2009 - 11:27 AM

By Keith Gilligan

DURHAM -- GO trains could be rolling through downtown Oshawa and Bowmanville by 2013.

Gary McNeil, the executive director of Metrolinx, told Regional councillors GO trains would use the CPR rail corridor east of Whitby. That would make it possible for the trains to roll through downtown Oshawa and central Bowmanville.

GO Transit, which is now part of Metrolinx, has begun an environmental assessment of extending train service east. That should be finished by next March, followed by a public review and then a review by the provincial environment ministry.

If approved, construction could start in early 2011 and take about two years.

"Construction depends on provincial funding," Mr. McNeil stated, adding the project carries a price tag of between $500 million and $600 million.

Mr. McNeil noted the provincial government is supportive of public transportation initiatives.

Also, extending the GO line east of Oshawa is part of the MoveOntario 2020 provincial program.

The existing Oshawa GO station would be closed and replaced possibly on Thornton Road. Other sites for an Oshawa station include just south of the Oshawa Centre and near the former Knob Hill Farm location.

As for the Thornton Road site, "Oshawa is supportive of a station here. It will help redevelopment in the area," Mr. McNeil said.

Ridership forecasts are "favourable," Mr. McNeil stated.

A rail maintenance depot would be built in Whitby and employ between 300 to 400 people, he added.

Using the current heavy train, rather than a light-rail option, is planned, Mr. McNeil said.

"This is an opportunity to extend our traditional service. This is the most economical way to do it," he said.

Also, if light rail were used, a separate line would have to be installed, he said.

"We're not allowed to operate light rail in a heavy freight corridor. It would need a special line."

The first train to Bowmanville would be in service in the first quarter of 2013.

That's very good news indeed.

The current Oshawa Station is in a retarded location (for lack of a better word).

I also look forward to waking up in a drunken stupor on the last train even farther east from home! :)

PS:Ajax and Whitby stations are also in rather unfortunate locations.

Most of them are like Bramalea Station but it does not stop them from being super busy.

Ajax yes, Whitby no

Yes Ajax station is in a dopey spot; but Whitby is pretty sensible.

I mean its right at Brock Road, which is the main n-s road in Whitby.

Sure the access could be better, and ideally the railway would have been closer to the town's center; but its still a pretty good spot, given where the rail corridor is located.

Perhaps he is simply of the belief that anything east of Pickering is unfortunate?

Your words, not mine.

Besides, everyone knows that anything east of the Rouge is unfortunate. Oops, I did it. :p

Nah, there are livable parts of Durham, believe it or not. Still, I can't wait to get out of here after I get all this travelling out of my system.

Yes Ajax station is in a dopey spot; but Whitby is pretty sensible.
So where would you put it? Harwood? No highway exits. Salem? The area is pretty utterly empty except for the BMW dealership. Lakeridge has been talked about in the future but it would be a greenbelt station with farms on one side of it.

True, it would be nice if Ajax station were not flush right up against the 401 but GO can't do anything about the location of the rail corridor.

Good news, but I hope they build a parallel GO corridor from the beginning. They had better not get into the same situation as Hamilton where they briefly divert to a CP line and it has been limiting their expansion for years.

So where would you put it? Harwood? No highway exits. Salem? The area is pretty utterly empty except for the BMW dealership. Lakeridge has been talked about in the future but it would be a greenbelt station with farms on one side of it.

True, it would be nice if Ajax station were not flush right up against the 401 but GO can't do anything about the location of the rail corridor.

Of course at Harwood. That's the most densely-populated area of Ajax and is the centre of the city. It only makes so much sense my ears could bleed. It's also where the inter-regional bus terminal is. The Westney location is retarded. Full stop.

And what, pray tell, do highway on-ramps and off-ramps have to do with a good train station location in an urban setting?

And what, pray tell, do highway on-ramps and off-ramps have to do with a good train station location in an urban setting?

Urban setting? Ajax? lol thats a joke!
Urban in name only, entirely suburban in reality where 99% of the population uses cars to get around. This is why a highway connection is important.

Actually the geographic center of Ajax is between Harwood and Westney, though it is true the population density is generally higher around Harwood, what with a less than impressive total of 9 high-rises in the vicinity.
In any case the difference between Harwood & Westney is 0.95 miles, i.e not much unless your walking, which in Ajax is a rarity. :p

Though Harwood would have been optimal, the difference is not worth building an entirely new station.
All thats left for one to do is to complain about it on public forums.

The existing Oshawa GO station would be closed and replaced possibly on Thornton Road. Other sites for an Oshawa station include just south of the Oshawa Centre and near the former Knob Hill Farm location.

As for the Thornton Road site, "Oshawa is supportive of a station here. It will help redevelopment in the area," Mr. McNeil said.

There's sweet damn all at Thornton Road as-is, so I don't see how it would qualify as redevelopment, but I digress.

To my Google-Earth-using eyes, the best possible location for downtown Oshawa would be dropping the station on the CP corridor such that the extreme west end of the platform abutted Simcoe Street, and then stretched 300m east to the Knob Hill Farms site, with double station heads. Knob Hill offers a massive pre-existing parking lot than can be converted incrementally to residential TOD, while the Simcoe Street end could connect with local transit via a dedicated Durham Transit loop facility there that linked to N-S runs along Simcoe, as well as offer a strong pedestrian connection to a vaguely-walkable environment.

The best place for monstrous Port Hope/Cobourg/Lindsay/Peterborough-swallowing park and ride capacity would be a "Darlington" station at Courtice Road. Other than for a spot like that, there's no need to get super worked-up over a potential station site's access to the 401, as the majority of ridership would be being pulled in along arterials from existing developments in the city.

Back