News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yeah, but it doesn't work that way. You said yourself that it was a pork motivated project. It's not like the deferral of this project magically means that Flaherty will announce some other project costing the same amount of money that is deemed preferable. I'd obviously benefit a great deal from new train service to Waterloo Region and I'd probably never ride the train to Peterborough. I'd like to see both services built. If Peterborough gets built before Waterloo, that's just the way it goes.

unimaginative, perhaps?

Omigod! You're so clever!

Not so clever maybe, but I do have the imagination to see that a project that fails the cost-benefit test so dramatically could never be in our interests as residents of the region, as federal taxpayers, or as transit advocates who have a hard enough time making the case for rail, even without white elephants like this around.

I rode from Hamilton to Union recently and the GO Bus was brand spanking new (bus number 3000 for those who keep track of that stuff). The interior is largely unchanged, but about a quarter of the seats have the very welcome addition of electrical outlets for passenger use. All they need now is wifi.

I rode from Hamilton to Union recently and the GO Bus was brand spanking new (bus number 3000 for those who keep track of that stuff). The interior is largely unchanged, but about a quarter of the seats have the very welcome addition of electrical outlets for passenger use. All they need now is wifi.
3000 is one of two hybrid demo buses that have been around for about a year, so don't take it as being representative of the fleet in terms of the electrical outlets.

I've been riding 2425 most mornings for a while, and that's about as new as it gets (arrived in June), and there are no electrical outlets on that bus.

Still, an interesting ride and one a lot of bus-spotting people would love to have. :)

Last edited:
Minor January 2010 improvements

Milton and Brampton-Georgetown Train-Bus trip additions, cutback of the Square One-Airport service, some additional service on the new Niagara and K-W buses.

http://gotransit.com/PUBLIC/en/news/whatsnew.htm

• Milton GO passengers will have more travel options starting Saturday, January 2
  • Kitchener-Waterloo GO Bus service changes starting Saturday, January 2
  • North Corridor GO Bus service improvements and changes starting Monday,
  • January 4
  • Niagara Falls GO Bus service changes and improvements start January 2
  • Airport Express schedule changes starting Saturday, January 2
  • New GO Bus trips, schedule changes and new stop locations for Georgetown line and Brampton Local passengers starting January 2

Interesting that once GO relented and provided real off-peak and weekend Union Station service to Brampton/Georgetown, the ridership now warrants express and local buses on the corridor at most times, and more trips. And it was only every 3 hours not less than 2 years ago.

Just wondering, what's the timeframe on all day train service on Stouffville Go? Wasn't it supposed to be in February or something? How's that all coming along?

I was really hoping that the next slight schedule adjustment on Georgetown included the trains being extended through Bramalea to points west.

I was really hoping that the next slight schedule adjustment on Georgetown included the trains being extended through Bramalea to points west.

I imagine that'll be trumpeted as more than a "slight schedule adjustment" :)

Just wondering, what's the timeframe on all day train service on Stouffville Go? Wasn't it supposed to be in February or something? How's that all coming along?

From what other, more knowledgeable folks have said in the last while, I think the state of play shakes out something like this:

1) Stouffville line - Midday bidirectional to Unionville (?): Trackwork done since summer. Ought to be the first to launch, potentially as soon as the next schedule board?

2) Georgetown line - Extending midday bidirectional from Bramalea to Mt. Pleasant: Trackwork done, but the holdup is incomplete platforms at Brampton and Mt. Pleasant stations, which GO is saying won't be ready until February.

3) Barrie line - Midday bidirectional to East Gwillimbury: Trackwork underway, ROW widening was graded but no ballast yet as of October. Probably ready no sooner than May.

I didn't see any trips in the Milton adjustments that specifically benefit Erindale, although there appear to be many improvements for Square One, Cooksville and Meadowvale.

I also noticed that the Airport Express bus is now running every half hour instead of every hour. Undoubtedly due to ridership not being there.

I didn't see any trips in the Milton adjustments that specifically benefit Erindale, although there appear to be many improvements for Square One, Cooksville and Meadowvale.
Wait so what, you're criticizing a rerouting of Go under MCC because it doesn't serve Erindale well? And I suppose a subway would go all the way to Erin Mills, right?

I have a question about extending the Bramalea trains:

Wouldn't GO need to run more trains to do that? I believe that right now they're just using one train for the mid-day Bramalea service, although I could be wrong--please tell me if I am. If that service extended to Brampton or Mount Pleasant, the trip length would be longer and those mid-day trains would be even more infrequent than they already are. I can't really see a two-train mid-day service working out very well at the moment, anyway (if that's indeed what GO would need to do). The mid-day service is already delayed on a pretty regular basis at the diamond. Anyway, GO has said that no additional trains will run on the Georgetown line until at least 2015.

^^ Remember that they have enough trains to run every half an hour (sometimes more) on every line during rush hour. So they should have enough trains to support all lines for a train every half an hour.

I have a question about extending the Bramalea trains:

Wouldn't GO need to run more trains to do that? I believe that right now they're just using one train for the mid-day Bramalea service, although I could be wrong--please tell me if I am. If that service extended to Brampton or Mount Pleasant, the trip length would be longer and those mid-day trains would be even more infrequent than they already are. I can't really see a two-train mid-day service working out very well at the moment, anyway (if that's indeed what GO would need to do). The mid-day service is already delayed on a pretty regular basis at the diamond. Anyway, GO has said that no additional trains will run on the Georgetown line until at least 2015.

That is a very good question. There is a passing track conveniently half-way between Mt. Pleasant and Union, near Woodbine Racetrack that could be pressed into service and allow more trains, but not more revenue trips if the schedule between 2010 and 2015 necessitates it. The first part of the diamond will be ready earlier than 2015 (it will open in two stages) as well.

The running time between Bramalea and Mount Pleasant won't be too bad, though either. It would mean creative scheduling, that's for sure, all things being equal between now and later in 2010.

Oh sorry hwy7, I thought your problem was with trains.

So the corridor isn't double tracked 'till Bramlea? I was under the impression that there was more than enough track 'till then. When does the double track stop currently?

Back