News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There are days when I really want to see the Gantt chart for these works...

Hmmm... Gantt chart. At times, it seems ML is allergic to those. But that work should have been done by now. Could really use an open platform with a snow melt system there...:confused:

A question, has GO ever considered running overnight service perhaps on LSE, LSW and UP? It should be technically possible right?

Noticed this today:

There have been situations where they have run a very limited overnight schedule, mainly to tie in with things like Hamilton's SuperCrawl. And they do run 24 hour bus service on the 40 and 34 routes.

But a scheduled 24 hour service on any of the rail lines? Not that I've ever heard of.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

A question, has GO ever considered running overnight service perhaps on LSE, LSW and UP? It should be technically possible right?

Noticed this today:
London 24 hour service predates the Overground being the latest to do it. Toronto ain't London, for better or worse, and it ain't NY either. Toronto is still very provincial in ways...and backwards. And the burbs even more so. But beside that, here's more on London's experience:
The Night Tube
The Night Tube is running Fridays and Saturdays on the Victoria, Jubilee, and most of the Central, Northern and Piccadilly lines.

See where the Night Tube is running
Service details
Victoria line - trains run on average every 10 minutes across the entire line

Central line - trains run approximately every 10 minutes between White City and Leytonstone and approximately every 20 minutes between Ealing Broadway to White City and Leytonstone to Loughton/ Hainault

No service between North Acton and West Ruislip, Loughton and Epping and Woodford and Hainault

Jubilee line - trains run on average every 10 minutes across the entire line

Northern line - trains run on average every 8 minutes between Morden and Camden Town and approximately every 15 minutes from Camden Town to High Barnet / Edgware. Night Tube services will not stop at Charing Cross until July 2017

No service on the Mill Hill East and Bank branches

Piccadilly line - trains run on average every 10 minutes between Cockfosters and Heathrow Terminal 5

No service on the Terminal 4 loop, or between Acton Town and Uxbridge [...]
https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-improvements/what-we-are-doing/night-tube

See here:
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/news-articles/success-for-24-hour-tube-service

And here:
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/p...our-night-services-for-london-overground-line

Even "night buses" are new for Toronto, it's not a case of "can they" run all night GO service, but "will they?". Rare exception besides, no.

Further to above, one has to wonder why London can make this such a success, but it's so abstract to the Toronto mindset:
Success for 24-hour Tube service
21 August 2017
Night Tube boosts London's economy by millions more than predicted.
As the Capital celebrates the first anniversary of the Night Tube, figures released show the 24-hour weekend service has added £171m to the economy since its introduction and supported around 3,600 jobs.

The statistics prove the service is doing better than originally forecast, and new estimates for the future indicate that a further £129m will be added to London's finances annually over the next 30 years.

Previously, the figure was put at £77m a year. The Night Tube has become extremely popular with people in London. Nearly eight million journeys were made during its first year, exceeding the expected number by 15 per cent. It has helped provide transport for millions of workers needing to get to or from their jobs and cut late-night journey times by an average of 20 minutes.

Exceeding expectations
Mayor Sadiq Khan hailed the success of the service, saying: 'The Night Tube has been a fantastic addition to our great city and has surpassed all expectations.

'In its first year it has boosted London's night-time economy, created jobs and helped millions of people travel around our city at night quicker than ever before, showing that London is open at all times of day and night.'

Some of the most popular Night Tube stations among late-night travellers include Leicester Square, Stratford, Liverpool Street, Brixton and Tottenham Court Road.

Looking ahead
The Capital's all-night services are being extended in December when London Overground starts running 24-hours on the East London route between New Cross Gate and Dalston Junction on Fridays and Saturdays. Next year, services will also begin on the Highbury & Islington route which will give an economic boost to the area and allow local people to travel throughout the night.

There are plans to expand the Night Tube, too, including introducing 24-hour services on parts of the Circle, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines, once modernisation works are completed in 2023. [...]
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/news-articles/success-for-24-hour-tube-service

The GLA (which TfL encompasses) is roughly analogous to where RER will run in the GTHA.

I was on Lakeshore West today and heard passengers wishing for that very thing.
I ride the LSW on a lot of weekends going to TFC matches.....it really is mind boggling the things that LSW people "wish" for when you consider what service levels people on other lines accept as normal.

In addition to all night/overnight service my experience would indicate that they believe their current level of service will always be considered "3rd world" (have heard that many times) until they have 5 minute frequencies in both directions at every station...but once they are on the train it should run express to their destination (so, by extension...every station effectively has their own trains running on 5 minute frequencies)..there should be free high speed wifi and food and beverage service, there should, also, be a drastic reduction in fares....and, almost forgot, there should never ever be any delays or cancellations.

I long ago wrote this off to just a total lack of awareness of what the service levels were outside of their world.

there should be free high speed wifi and food and beverage service, there should, also, be a drastic reduction in fares....and, almost forgot, there should never ever be any delays or cancellations.
That's an odd claim. Some might, the vast majority wouldn't. They'd just like to have all night service, even if limited. The lack of service elsewhere on the system shouldn't mean that everyone else should accept that pathetic level of service as being the benchmark.

So no all-night buses on the TTC because it doesn't run up the Bridle Path?

I’ve often wondered of late what an overnight Go bus schedule would look like, connecting major points across the GTHA. I think the 34/40 is an experiment/first step. Adding say the 36, a 407 West route (47 or 46) Square One-Bramalea Go-York, 407 East to Durham and a 401 East Yorkdale-Durham (92), all hourly, could be a next step. Train-bus routes, or dare I say trains themselves on some routes would make a fairly robust overnight schedule from a Go standpoint, as long as the connections are scheduled decently. A skeleton of local transit would be a boon as well.

As is, there’s basically only a 2-3 hour overnight break in service anyways

As is, there’s basically only a 2-3 hour overnight break in service anyways

The last bus from Union to arrive at Oshawa station gets into the garage AFTER the first bus of the next day leaves the garage. This plus the aforementioned 34/40 routes make GO operationally a 24hr service already

The last bus from Union to arrive at Oshawa station gets into the garage AFTER the first bus of the next day leaves the garage. This plus the aforementioned 34/40 routes make GO operationally a 24hr service already

Not to my part of town. I still need to hit Union/Yorkdale/Yorkdale Mills by a certain time or else prepare to get a room or a taxi/Uber.

Firstly, I don't believe we really need a 24 hour service.....but I have to ask, is times in and out of the garage really the way to measure service hours? Is it not more appropriate to measure based on schedules and when customers actually get service?

Back