News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

There is probably lots of spare storage space scattered around to province, but it would be a cost for both storage and movement, but many area would likely pose a risk for damage, particularly passenger cars. York-Durham Heritage RR (now shutdown) or the CP Havelock yard come to mind but I imagine there are many others. The BCRY was storing a lot of new tank cars after the post DOT-111 standards came out around the same time the industry contracted. It was a source of income.

And who is going to give GO the money to pay the railroads for interchange, moving and car storage?

They can make it work with the properties that they already have, but it has taken some juggling. That's why there was a 2-week lead up.

Dan

And who is going to give GO the money to pay the railroads for interchange, moving and car storage?

They can make it work with the properties that they already have, but it has taken some juggling. That's why there was a 2-week lead up.

Dan

Oh, I'm aware of the cost implications. I was just responding with some off-the-top-of-my head alternatives because it sounded like some felt GO didn't have it's own capacity. Great if they do. As events unwind, no doubt the 'un-juggling' will be somewhat similarly complex.

^Much as we all make fun of these situations, it is only fair to point out that the station area is under construction and any number of clues and signage may have been removed or altered.

I say this as someone who drove my rental car a long way down the walkway to the Giant’s Causeway in Ireland, thanks to a convergence of a power failure (that knocked out some of the the traffic control gates and illuminated signage), traffic signage that was slightly different from the Driver’s handbook, and my own confusion and ineptitude. I got off with a warning, but the cop who halted my wayward prowl clearly figured I was a “feckin eejot“ as they say over there. I was certainly driving carefully, I just added things up wrong.

What I find interesting is how the human brain, having made the decision that “this must be the road”, rejects any data point that suggests otherwise... so drivers continue much further down a bad path than one would ever think possible.

We allow too much informality in road signage in construction zones. I’m certain that this driver would not have driven through a snow fence, or a jersey barrier. Pylons don’t really give that much information, and their spacing is quite variable. Saw this yesterday at the corner of Bayview and Laureleaf... four lanes reduced to two with pylons, right turn lane sort of added at the intersection, but in a way that no two drivers made the right turn in the same way. Some recognised the intent, many did not. Too easy to say the driver must be an idiot or asleep.

- Paul

What I find interesting is how the human brain, having made the decision that “this must be the road”, rejects any data point that suggests otherwise... so drivers continue much further down a bad path than one would ever think possible.

Similar to discussion on another thread (or earlier in this one) about a car that drive quite a distance down the tracks at a level crossing near Guelph.

One of my biggest pet peeves when I worked at Pearson and now that I frequently fly is how folks bring their whole damn extended family to the airport. Say goodbye and hello at home, have one person pick you up and take you to the airport. It’ll be less busy for the rest of us.
Thank you Covid19 for making this a reality!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-pearson-airport-changes-1.5592555

"Meeters and greeters," or those dropping friends and loved ones off at the airport, are not permitted to enter the terminals.

Attachments

• 1591015027391.png
    1591015027391.png
    217.3 KB · Views: 298
Bombardier layoffs:

The company said in an email the job cuts, effective June 21, amount to about 20 per cent of its workforce at GO Transit and the Union Pearson Express.​

Am I the only one who thinks a link between Malton GO and Westwood Mall would be a great idea like the airport terminal link type of train. Same thing for Bramalea GO and Bramalea Terminal. This will help a lot for people who go to either terminal on the go stations and have to go to the respective mall terminals (and vice versa). The buses are fine linking the two bramalea terminals but a link would simplify things and trust me the walk from Derry to malton go may not seem like a big deal, but it really makes it annoying and stressful

Am I the only one who thinks a link between Malton GO and Westwood Mall would be a great idea like the airport terminal link type of train. Same thing for Bramalea GO and Bramalea Terminal. This will help a lot for people who go to either terminal on the go stations and have to go to the respective mall terminals (and vice versa). The buses are fine linking the two bramalea terminals but a link would simplify things and trust me the walk from Derry to malton go may not seem like a big deal, but it really makes it annoying and stressful
No chance in hell of that happening. There's very little development potential, and not nearly enough ridership potential to pay for both a new rail corridor AND a brand new rail yard or MSF. The most you can really hope for would be for the end of these routes to be shifted to Malton GO instead of the plaza.

A mall-to-GO rail link would only really make sense for Square One (and the Hurontario LRT will serve that purpose) and Sherway Gardens (but I don't see most of their customer base wanting to use public transport like some kind of poor person).

I think Hamilton is a great option for a secondary hub in the GTAH. Aside from the existing Lakeshore W line, other route options are the CP+GEXR line connecting to Guelph; and a potential extension of the Milton line to Hamilton, and the CN line to Brantford/Woodstock. Also new track could be laid to Cambridge and connecting to Kitchener. Surplus diesel locos and coaches could be moved to Hamilton as Toronto moves towards EMU trains

After that I don't think there is anywhere else that justifies rail service. Barrie would be interesting as a hub for bus services into cottage country, as would Oshawa (probably)

Really weird seeing haft a train on the Lakeshore today, as well MP40PH-3C and F59PH pushing them due to COVID-19. Only 6 got off the eastbound train and about 8 got on at Port Credit. Can't recall when I last saw a 6 car train or did on the Lakeshore and F59PH. Must be 10 years for F59PH that were on both ends of 10 car train. The last GO train I saw was 12 cars at PC a week ago.

Then seeing a Milton Train using the north track going westbound at Kipling. I guess it had to due with a CP eastbound train on the south track that past the station about 10 minutes after the GO train depart. Only 1 got off that train and 2 got on.

Just starting to install elevators the the Regional Hub and the platform as well far from completion.

Lisgar GO Station had more cars than PC, but not that many more.

Back