News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Uhm just a question. But does anyone have a summary of the double/triple tracking for the Barrie line?
theres roll plans out there somewhere. but MX is adding a 2nd track and electrifying the entire corridor.
also passing tracks at some points. think 1 near rutherford/the old york u go

Reading the document, these bits are much more fascinating than that aforementioned map.

1.png

Early talks of a regional transit authority for the GTHA.

1645476593611.png

A BART-like line running from Port Credit to Guildwood. That section could've been converted to rapid transit standards. Another line would've run up to Weston or Malton. What's also interesting is that this was proposed at a time when Regional Metro networks were proposed and/or built in the US. DC, San Francisco, and Atlanta got theirs built in some form while Seattle's was proposed and turned down by the voters there.

Last edited:
Service Cuts for GO:

Highlights (or I guess Lowlights):
  • Weekend Service on Barrie and Stouffville Lines now only served by busses
  • LSE and LSW weekend service now hourly
  • Weekend service to Niagara Falls Discontinued
  • Weekday Service on LSW and LSE now half hourly, service to West Harbour still Hourly
  • London Line train now departs 8 minutes later (now there's a silver lining, I assume this is due to the Guelph Speed upgrades)
  • Stouffville and Barrie Line trains retain most midday service, however evening service after 9pm now replaced by busses. To compensate, extra trains to Allandale and Old Elm are provided.
  • There were a few schedule changes to trains to Kitchener, but I don't know enough about those services to comment on them

With more in-class learning at post-secondary institutions starting up beginning next week, and all capacity restrictions disappearing at the end of the month, you'd think that GO schedules would slowly be restored to at least November 2021 levels. In January, GO was struggling with workers having to go off because of high absence rates - I imagine this isn't as much of an issue anymore.

I know that it might be a while to ramp things back up to Summer 2021 levels, but you'd think that crowding and a need to attract riders back would require some improvements.

Took the LW train back to Toronto from Appleby yesterday (early) evening.
Hourly service. When will the next schedule go into effect and does ML have any intention of restoring service to a reasonable frequency, with a specific date?

I think that might be jinxing it/setting yourself up for disappointment. I remember seeing specific dates for things, and then boom. Omicron.
Not sure how much VIA is an indication, but they are ramping up from 43% to 67% of their pre-covid timetable volume as of March 1st:

1645560549541.png

Last edited:
^ very helpful chart.

Just out of curiosity why did this pre-covid-19 decrease happen? I'm sure it was discussed here at the time but I can't remember.

1645583430141.png

1645583448462.png

^ very helpful chart.

Just out of curiosity why did this pre-covid-19 decrease happen? I'm sure it was discussed here at the time but I can't remember.

View attachment 381560
View attachment 381561

That's litterally one less train every two weeks(to and from TO-MON), probably wasn't even noticed if discussed at all and especially not in the GO service thread.

^ very helpful chart.

View attachment 381560
View attachment 381561
That's litterally one less train every two weeks(to and from TO-MON), probably wasn't even noticed if discussed at all and especially not in the GO service thread.
The decrease in corridor mileage as of 2019-12-01 resulted from train 69 terminating in Toronto rather than Aldershot (56 km * 6 days/week = 336 timetable-km per week). See my detailed response in the "VIA Rail" thread.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20220225-193212_Twitter.jpg

Due to a incident on the Dundas sub the London GO train got short turned at st marys. A friend of mine talked to the locomotive engineer and he said that 106 people were on board going to London. They sent a double decker go bus to st marys to shuttle the passengers to London.

Now I'm sure the TorontoStar and Ben Spurr will try to say this is low because it's only 106 out of the 600 available seats!!!!!

View attachment 381961
Due to a fatality on thr Dundas sub the London GO train got short turned at st marys. A friend of mine talked to the locomotive engineer and he said that 106 people were on board going to London. They sent a double decker go bus to st marys to shuttle the passengers to London.

Now I'm sure the TorontoStar and Ben Spurr will try to say this is low because it's only 106 out of the 600 available seats!!!!!
I think anything more than one single level bus is pretty good. If only they could improve the train times and have weekend trips.

I think anything more than one single level bus is pretty good. If only they could improve the train times and have weekend trips.
I do think a Niagara style express weekend train could be a big hit. I do think the train times aren't optimal but I would like to see maybe GO replacing the former VIA 85,88, trips and then adjusting the current trips

I do think a Niagara style express weekend train could be a big hit. I do think the train times aren't optimal but I would like to see maybe GO replacing the former VIA 85,88, trips and then adjusting the current trips
If you can time it for trains to meet at Kitchener you can run them in each direction?

Leave Toronto and London in the morning and leave Toronto and London in the evening? But you would need 4x F59'S for this to work. Not sure how many are left in active roster.

Back