News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

GRT fare of 3.50 is even cheaper! Closest GRT stop is a 41 minute walk from the airport, but only 7 minutes by car (or bus if they were to run one. It could even connect up to the future Breslau GO station only a couple of km north. If the airport wants to be at all competitive with flights out of Pearson this seems like a no-brainer.
Still cheaper than a horse.

It's 13 km from Kitchener city hall. At the Waterloo Region rate of $2.50/km plus $3.50 that's only $36 for a taxi. It's not clear from the website if the $20 surcharge applies or not - I don't see Woolwich listed.

Not sure why Uber would be more ... but $36 is cheaper than buying a car. https://waterlootaxi.ca/rates.php
When / if ML builds the Breslau station there will be a closer connection point, but still 8 km with the current road setup:
1674683760291.png

GRT fare of 3.50 is even cheaper! Closest GRT stop is a 41 minute walk from the airport, but only 7 minutes by car (or bus if they were to run one. It could even connect up to the future Breslau GO station only a couple of km north. If the airport wants to be at all competitive with flights out of Pearson this seems like a no-brainer.
There's virtually no demand. The demand is so slow, that the taxi company in Kitchener, lists fares to the airports in Hamilton, Toronto, and London. I'd expect all to have more demand from KW than Kitchener.

There probably are more horse and buggies up and down that road, than pedestrians!

If one really wants to use transit, why not just use the GRT Route 79 on-demand service - it's only $3.50, and connects with other GRT routes at Lackner and Victoria?
https://www.grt.ca/en/schedules-maps/route-79-breslau.aspx
1674690541704.png

Much of the Guelph sub was in a bad state before ML purchased it.

The Milton line if good if you want to shuttle people straight to Union
but
The Fergus sub is better as it serves local trips ex Galt->Hespeler and Guelph. By the time you get to Cambridge the amount of peak oriented commuters to DT is rather small and internal trips dominate.
I think we should use buses to fill these gaps ie Guelph-Kitchener. The Milton line is more of a straight shot but it takes cars off the road.

But there isn't even local public transit to the airport.

There's virtually no demand. The demand is so slow, that the taxi company in Kitchener, lists fares to the airports in Hamilton, Toronto, and London. I'd expect all to have more demand from KW than Kitchener.

There probably are more horse and buggies up and down that road, than pedestrians!

If one really wants to use transit, why not just use the GRT Route 79 on-demand service - it's only $3.50, and connects with other GRT routes at Lackner and Victoria?
https://www.grt.ca/en/schedules-maps/route-79-breslau.aspx
View attachment 452534
They're currently building a new road and massive parking lot at the south end of the airport property, and it includes a bus stop. I'm pretty sure it's for a shuttle from the lot to the terminal. It's certainly a car-centric airport but I do find it mid boggling they can't package a GRT route that hits both Breslau's old village centre and the airport. They run buses all the way up to Elmira, and west to Baden and New Hamburg for crying out loud!

It's certainly a car-centric airport but I do find it mid boggling they can't package a GRT route that hits both Breslau's old village centre and the airport. They run buses all the way up to Elmira, and west to Baden and New Hamburg for crying out loud!
I'd have thought that the existing GRT on-demand service would be more convenient than a fixed (and probably very infrequent) route.

When / if ML builds the Breslau station there will be a closer connection point, but still 8 km with the current road setup:
View attachment 452507
Build a line right now? No.
Acquire the right of way for future heavy rail use? Yes.

I'd like to see a GRT bus to the airport from Breslau once it opens. That'll make the airport very popular for budget flights with students with all day train service.

Would GO Urban have been a good idea if it was built?
To me probably not, it just seems like it would be a gadgetbahn. GO ALRT would have been a far better idea since it would still use conventional rail with the added bonus of the lines it operated on being electrified and having high-level platforms. I think if ALRT had been built it could have kick started electrification of the rest of the GO network in time as well converting it to high-level platforms. Who knows what todays rolling stock would look like, maybe highly modified version of the ICTS Mk.II and III's or maybe more generic off the shelf EMU's with high boarding doors.
go-alrt-mockup-1983.jpg

I thought it was called GO ALRT. Which we've discussed extensively in the past. - https://transittoronto.ca/regional/2107.shtml

Was GO Urban an earlier version?
Yes GO Urban was probably the first major idea that came around during the early days of the Provinces tinkering with Mag-Lev technology. Eventually I believe the GO URBAN Mag-lev tech would be merged with the GO ALRT trains to form the ICTS trains we know today.

Back