News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

foreseeable future.
It's my understanding that the service reductions are to accomodate construction as ridership post-COVID remains low. They should be restored in the Fall.

I had initially heard that further training had been put on hold and layoffs were being discussed, but I have since heard that training will continue as normal.

Do you think we’ll see any type of increase in service by the fall? Let’s say 30 min all day for now to Bramalea, including weekend service. Also to Unionville as the improvements on its line seem to be finished by then. Would they be the type to just wait until the crosstown opens so they can launch all of this at once because that seems like something they would do.

So are they pulling service or aren't they. Willybru, I've seen you post across twitter, reddit to make a stink about this. Is it still true?

At this rate, I'm surprised they aren't pulling the plug in RER, generally.

So are they pulling service or aren't they. Willybru, I've seen you post across twitter, reddit to make a stink about this. Is it still true?

If they are cutting service, its almost certain to accomodate oncorr works namely all of the station upgrades they're building along those corridors. That's a far cry from "pulling the plug on RER".

Well from what I’ve seen they are going to, ARG is most likely correct with the service being stopped for major OnCorr construction work.

Well from what I’ve seen they are going to, ARG is most likely correct with the service being stopped for major OnCorr construction work.
The service reductions are for sure not “we don't want to run trains just because”. My guess is that it is absolutely construction related, potentially driven by costs. Yes you can get work done faster with fewer trains, but more importantly the loss of productivity of stopping work for trains to pass adds up cost wise, especially with inflated labour costs.

If I was Metrolinx I’d position this as “hey, we know that not having weekend trains sucks. You’re not going to have them for X amount of months, but when they do return, you’ll have half hourly (or whatever level) service. We’re ripping the bandaid off and it will be worth it”.

It's my understanding that the service reductions are to accomodate construction as ridership post-COVID remains low. They should be restored in the Fall.

I had initially heard that further training had been put on hold and layoffs were being discussed, but I have since heard that training will continue as normal.
I've heard that perhaps hiring was put on hold... I have a buddy at CP with 3 years on conductor experience that, I kid you not... got declined immediately, apparently only 1 person from that info session was hired...

I am privileged to an eternal email detailing the April service changes. There are a couple of major changes that UT members have been hoping for in rail and bus coming.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Excellent news; but the longevity of the email may not be pertinent in this circumstance. ;)

Edit to add: GO and TTC, but especially the former are likely to see a material uptick in their number of riders in May:

Last edited:

Back