News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

What would the bike look like it when it gets to Union? The train does not encounter road salt or road slush. Only precipitation would be a concern, and that would be an equal concern in the summer.

I'm not a fan of the idea for that reason, but I see no special concerns about winter that would not also manifest themselves in fairer seasons.

What do you guys think will be the future express service would be on the trains? Would it be like the Niagara weekend trains or would we continue to just run trains express from Union to a certain stop and then all stops after but its all day service.
This is my vision of the GO network after GO Expansion, going off of what Metrolinx and OnXpress has said. This is rush hour service:
You_Doodle+_2023-08-31T19_57_37Z.jpeg

What do you guys think will be the future express service would be on the trains? Would it be like the Niagara weekend trains or would we continue to just run trains express from Union to a certain stop and then all stops after but its all day service.
Each business case document has been different than the others, and many contradict each other, but it is fairly consistent that when trains go "express" (i.e. where the express service overlaps with a local service) they don't run completely non-stop, they do stop at important stations.

One detail which GO has specifically stated is that no GO trains will skip Exhibition or East Harbour. They noted this when they changed the platform configuration of East Harbour to add platforms on all tracks.

PS I almost wrote West Harbour - Mx station names are so frustrating. If West Harbour and East Harbour were called Hamilton Harbour and Toronto Harbour respectively this confusion wouldn't happen.

My preference for off-peak stopping patterns - loosely based on business case documents is here:
sbahntoronto-png.435950

Last edited:
About the efforts to make all-day 15min service available on the core network.... perhaps this represents a minor obstacle? Should GO maybe find a way to disconnect from CN where possible? Is the reason nothing is running due to Union station operations?

It seems odd that this is being blamed on CN, when GO does much of its own dispatching these days at a location in Oakville, including most of the Lakeshore Line (only west of Burlington is it owned by CN.)

About the efforts to make all-day 15min service available on the core network.... perhaps this represents a minor obstacle? Should GO maybe find a way to disconnect from CN where possible? Is the reason nothing is running due to Union station operations?

If it was related solely to issues with the UCRS they would at least be running service to on the outskirts of the system i.e. Oshawa to Guildwood or Aldershot to Port Credit.

It seems odd that this is being blamed on CN, when GO does much of its own dispatching these days at a location in Oakville, including most of the Lakeshore Line (only west of Burlington is it owned by CN.)

Indeed. I do believe this is a GO Transit issue. If it was a CN issue then why are VIA trains still running out of Union.

Indeed. I do believe this is a GO Transit issue. If it was a CN issue then why are VIA trains still running out of Union.
VIA has used some interesting wording saying it is "a CN system failure affecting Metrolinx" and that their trains are only "delayed" in and out of Union Station

I am told that the specific equipment that has failed is CN owned but dedicated to GO use.

GO is transitioning to its own dedicated equipment, but that is a long term transition.

- Paul
Someone on Reddit pointed out that Cn's website (CN.CA) is down.
That doesn't bode well for the scale of this issue.

Some have mentioned it could be a ransomware attack, some quote Occam's razor (simplest reason is the most likely) and point at a failed software upgrade etc. To this I say then why would they have attempted it leading into the evening rush hour?

Back