News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

How is it that the entire GO and UP systems go down because of a CN issue when, according to Wikipedia, GO owns 80% of its tracks?
GO uses CN'S RTC2 software for dispatching (except Richmond Hill line and Guelph sub). They probably had issues connecting to that. CN RTC Edmonton didn't have problems from what I've heard... however I couldn't access my CN employee portal

Metrolinx is stopping trains at danforth on a weekday on the 16th? Kinda weird
As far as I can recall this doesnt happen like ever? Weekends and nights are 1 thing, but Weekdays?
Proba
1696477446587.png

The two railways will always need a common operational database for dispatching …. Every time a train crosses between cn and go territory, the rtcs need information about it that is too detailed to transfer verbally. It happens that the server equipment was historically owned by cn - although cn has since separated the go server(s) from its own, which is why cn trains continued to operate, GO has work in progress to acquire its own servers. Even so, down the road, cn will need to access the go servers in real time.

- Paul

As far as I can recall this doesnt happen like ever? Weekends and nights are 1 thing, but Weekdays?
Proba
View attachment 511254
An interesting downstream effect of the WFH era, I think. A transit agency like GO can now take more liberties with service disruptions as they know most of their core customers have the flexibility to use work from home for the day.
Even if you are in a workplace where a Monday is a mandatory "everyone in the office" day, most managers would immediately say "oh yeah, just WFH for Monday," when shown this.

It's my suspicion that is the long term of WFH, that it really will contract back down to 4 to 4.5 days a week in the office and the WFH days will be mostly built around weather related events or construction events.

In the long term I think we'll see more events like this where Monday's or Fridays are tacked on to weekend closures to speed up projects.

Proba
View attachment 511254
I wonder if someone mixed up which week Thanksgiving was - and didn't figure it out until it was too late ...

I don't seem to be finding this on their website (I must need copy ... too many places to look). What's the Stouffville train doing? Terminating at Kennedy? Or Danforth?

GO uses CN'S RTC2 software for dispatching (except Richmond Hill line and Guelph sub). They probably had issues connecting to that. CN RTC Edmonton didn't have problems from what I've heard... however I couldn't access my CN employee portal
More importantly.....

GO connects to CN's server in MacMillan Yard, and it is through here that they dispatch their own lines - it has remained active after CN's move of their dispatching out to Edmonton and been dedicated to GO's dispatching until such a point that GO is capable of taking over dispatching on its own software & servers. CN still has a server left in Montreal but it is currently off and left in case of emergency. It seems that there is no appetite from EXO to recreate what GO has there.

At this point, the only line that GO dispatches through its own dispatching software & servers is the Bala Sub from Don to Doncaster. The Weston Sub is slated to be moved over to GO's by the end of this year (hopefully). The Guelph Sub from Silver to Sturm is still dispatched by Siemens (formerly RailTerm), and that should be switched over to GO's own equipment early in the new year.

Dan

There was a big screw up today on that train, the operating crew failed to notice an incorrectly set manual switch and ended up going into the wrong platform at Georgetown. They managed to stop on the switch before they would come into contact with a train if there was one parked there, but that’s still a big no-no.

There was a big screw up today on that train, the operating crew failed to notice an incorrectly set manual switch and ended up going into the wrong platform at Georgetown. They managed to stop on the switch before they would come into contact with a train if there was one parked there, but that’s still a big no-no.
Oh...that's why both directions of that train qualified for the 15 minute service guarantee lol.

The person who forgot to put the switch back should also be repramended.

Which is a clear demonstration of why the speed limit in Georgetown station is only 10 mph (16 km/h) - the slowest speed restriction along the line.

Back