News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The study has looked at several options, both diverting some Kitchener Line trains down the Fergus sub as a spur and its own DMU service, which would require a transfer at Guelph and really be a train that only goes between Cambridge and Guelph.
I hope it is just some Kitchener trains.
I don't see how it functions as anything other than a DMU (HMU maybe if we really wanna dream?) between those points. The point of getting picked up by Waterloo Central or Guelph Junction Railway is a good one though. Both of these municipally owned railways have concrete examples of the increased flexibility that would come with it. The former has ION service and occasional excursion trains. Both have rail trails tight up against the ROW. I imagine such a purchase would unlock easier permission to run a simplified train service, whether it's under a GO, GRT or some other brand. Coupling it with the freight deliveries could help make up the inspection and maintenance budget.
If there is 2WADon this line, having it be every 15 minutes to Guelph and then they split(not necessarily an even split) that should work well enough.

Then it is even easier.For some reason I thought they wanted to do the whole line.

How is it easier? They aren't building track for that level of service west of Bramalea.

They are building enough capacity for a defined service level, and no more. Can't add trains to a single track line beyond waht is planned.

- Paul

How is it easier? They aren't building track for that level of service west of Bramalea.

They are building enough capacity for a defined service level, and no more. Can't add trains to a single track line beyond waht is planned.

- Paul
They aren't building anything for it yet. Once they decide on the level of service on both the Fergus Sub and to Kitchener, they will do as they need to to get the level of service to where they need it to be. The part that makes it easy is the fact that 15 minute service is not expected so they can play with the frequency on both sections.

One other option that may happen, but I don't think was added could be a coupling/decoupling at Guelph Then the frequency can stay the same.

All of this is speculation till a contract is signed.

With respect, @micheal_can ; your posts here are now representing almost 1/2 of all posts in this thread in the last couple of pages; largely in service of ideas that as yet have no substance behind them.

Can we please put the fantasy wish list away.

This thread is to discuss actual news about GO Service, and analysis of same. Some tangential speculation is fine.......but I keep popping in expecting to learn something about GO service and finding no such thing.

With respect, @micheal_can ; your posts here are now representing almost 1/2 of all posts in this thread in the last couple of pages; largely in service of ideas that as yet have no substance behind them.

Can we please put the fantasy wish list away.

This thread is to discuss actual news about GO Service, and analysis of same. Some tangential speculation is fine.......but I keep popping in expecting to learn something about GO service and finding no such thing.
I went back 2 full pages, not including this one, I did 8 of the 37, or about 21%.
However, I can relax a bit so they are not so much.
Sorry.

On Saturday I was on a westbound GO train that unexpectedly went out of service at Bramalea (it had been scheduled to continue to Brampton and Mount Pleasant). Despite repeated announcements, it looked like almost half of the passengers either didn't hear or didn't understand since they just sat there instead of getting off the train.

Another article advocating for trains to Cambridge: the Mayor of Cambridge supports the advocacy

Can you imagine a mayor saying "Nah, we're good. thanks....." ?

There has been plenty of detailed back room study by both ML and CPKC of what's needed to get GO to Cambridge and to improve the Milton line generally. The fact that this hasn't happened is not an oversight. It's a matter of committing to a price tag and a bunch of enabling work.

It's a well understood policy option that government has chosen not to advance right now. Doesn't mean the time won't be right at some point, but that point is not this moment.

- Paul

Let's get proper 30-min all-day train service to Brampton, Markham, etc., before we start worrying about Cambridge of all places.

Let's get proper 30-min all-day train service to Brampton, Markham, etc., before we start worrying about Cambridge of all places.
Proper 30 min service to Bramalea and Unionville is already a done deal. Construction for it is already nearly complete and service could start this coming year. Discussing longer term plans for Cambridge will have no effect on that rollout.

Back