News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Some e-bike is going to catch fire and someone is going to die or be seriously injured by this. The problem isn't all e-bikes and all batteries, the problem is that it would be unreasonable to validate the manufacture and good state of repair for e-bikes. Without a licence plate and sticker system tied to some kind of street/indoor worthiness validation timeline there would be no reasonable way to quickly spot an e-bike that shouldn't be allowed on the train.

Chinese e-Bike Fires

Yep they just added that recently for CSA’s to use on the Long Branch restriction announcements, the only issue with it is they have to manually set it off and then run back to their phone and start talking into it, there’s no way for it to chime automatically:View attachment 532094

This isn’t what they’re talking about.
yep

Did you even look at his original response?

To assume that an internal communication will be their final word on the subject - especially when it is something potentially as serious as fires in an enclosed, crowded passenger vehicle - is hasty and unnecessary.

Dan
I read it. GO may well be moving on the issue, regardless, your response was unnecessarily condescending.

It's quite alright.

Dan and I have a history.

That said while we don't always agree I completely respect him and his opinion.

He's a great guy.
Glad to hear it. Last thing I'll say on this topic is that I don't mean to single out Dan specifically. It is common on the forum however for responses to be condescending or just plain rude and I disagree with that.

That's too bad. E bikes don't belong on transit. They take up way too much space, these train cars aren't built for vehicles they are built for people. On the Kitchener line, i have had to move to other cars because the doors are jammed packed with e bikes. There is no space for them to move out of the way so i can get off at my station. What if there was an emergency? Those doors shouldn't be blocked.

If GO transit had designated train cars equipped with sprinkler systems, just in case one of them blows up, i'm fine with that. I don't think motorized bikes should be mixed with us commuters.

Few months ago i witnessed a good 'ole fashion hockey fight break out on the Union GO platform. This e biker idiot cut the line at the elevator, hitting another guys bike, and a fist fight broke out lol. GO staff ran over trying to break up the fight as best they could.

I have also seen these guys cross the live tracks with their bikes, so they don't have to wait for an elevator. Which is incredibly stupid and dangerous. They got screamed at by GO staff on the PA system.
We should ban these animals (those fighting and crossing tracks) from GO permanently.

They are not animals. They are your fellow humans. This is what humans are capable of, lest you should find yourself harbouring any illusions about them being an "other". Incidentally, considering all the atrocities that have been reported as having occurred on the city's transit system in the last two years, two people getting into a fistfight seems almost comically tame.

Not that it makes any sense at all to conflate fighters and those crossing the tracks. Crossing the tracks is astonishingly reckless and they should be fined for it, but why is that a serious enough crime to justify banning them from the system for life?

Didn't know where else to put this, but: there's a pretty historic station on the GO line in the old part of Unionville (right by Main Street, north of Highway 7 and Kennedy) that as far as I know doesn't get used for passengers. Why not? It would be a very convenient stop for the hordes of tourists that flock to the historic main strip just to the north in summer instead of having to endure the ever present nightmarish traffic. Has this ever been discussed?

Didn't know where else to put this, but: there's a pretty historic station on the GO line in the old part of Unionville (right by Main Street, north of Highway 7 and Kennedy) that as far as I know doesn't get used for passengers. Why not? It would be a very convenient stop for the hordes of tourists that flock to the historic main strip just to the north in summer instead of having to endure the ever present nightmarish traffic. Has this ever been discussed?
That is the former Unionville Station, and was used by GO until 1991, when they moved to the current facility and location.

The old station is located on the outside of a curve, is located between two streets that force the use of a shorter-than-standard platform, and does not have enough parking to handle the current crowds. It's also a not-insignificant walk from Highway 7, almost 300 metres.

That said......it would be a good place to stop a weekend tourist train, should one ever operate on the tracks again.

Dan

Unionville Station was built in 1869 by the Toronto & Nipissing Railway and is part of several heritage buildings around it, let alone the old village. It is open to the public or the last time we were there.

It's a wonderful place to visit both during the summertime as well at Christmas time. Still a hard place to get there by car compared to a longer travel time by transit. No straightforward way to the area from the 2 GO stations.

That is the former Unionville Station, and was used by GO until 1991, when they moved to the current facility and location.

The old station is located on the outside of a curve, is located between two streets that force the use of a shorter-than-standard platform, and does not have enough parking to handle the current crowds. It's also a not-insignificant walk from Highway 7, almost 300 metres.

That said......it would be a good place to stop a weekend tourist train, should one ever operate on the tracks again.

Dan
What’s the future for that crossing? Is it staying? Looks like it’d be hard to elevate the road or elevate the tracks.

Dan
This is exactly what I mean - I'm not advocating for regular commuter service to the historic station, only a weekend tourist train (perhaps even relegated only to weekends from May to September). No need for parking. That defeats the purpose. I really don't understand why this isn't something that's been proposed. Seems obvious to me. Unionville is a charming old village right here in the GTA (which is rare), so you don't have to travel far outside the city to get that fix. It should be much easier to get there via transit considering it's sitting right on an active GO line. Wasted opportunity. I was really struggling to explain to my train obsessed 5 year old son why the train doesn't stop there.

They are not animals. They are your fellow humans. This is what humans are capable of, lest you should find yourself harbouring any illusions about them being an "other". Incidentally, considering all the atrocities that have been reported as having occurred on the city's transit system in the last two years, two people getting into a fistfight seems almost comically tame.

Not that it makes any sense at all to conflate fighters and those crossing the tracks. Crossing the tracks is astonishingly reckless and they should be fined for it, but why is that a serious enough crime to justify banning them from the system for life?

I agree with you, i will admit not all e bikers are dickheads. Being a bike delivery driver must be insanely stressful. I understand they aren't taking e bikes on transit for leisure they are doing it for necessity, these guys are stressed out, and GO transit isn't the most easy accessible mode of transportation for workers with E bikes or regular bicycles. But GO transit needs to be safe for everyone. What number of E bikes on a coach is safe? I don;t know. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Back