News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Sure ... but that hasn't stopped them in the past, and there is no plans to close them. It didn't even stop them recently extending Danforth 2-cars into the curve - rather than on the straight-section at the other end!

If having yet another station with a bit of a curve at the end of the platform is only impediment to having a major downtown station, then it's a price worth paying.

The long-term numbers seem to show that Union station is going to remain a major bottleneck to operations in the future, with a limit on the number of train movements through the station. One way to decrease dwell times at Union is try and do things that make it so that you don't have 98% of the passengers trying to get on or off the train there. One way to do this is to build a DRL that intercepts GO lines in both the east and west (Gerrard Square? Cherry? Exhibition/Liberty? Queen/Dufferin?), and siphon off signifcant GO traffic there ... in the same manner that in Montreal, that Vendôme siphons off a lot of the traffic on trains heading to Lucien L'Allier (Windsor).

I agree with this completely. Have a station in Liberty Village in the west and in Riverdale (at Queen East) to intercept people, and provide more options besides just Union.

Sure ... but that hasn't stopped them in the past, and there is no plans to close them. It didn't even stop them recently extending Danforth 2-cars into the curve - rather than on the straight-section at the other end!

If having yet another station with a bit of a curve at the end of the platform is only impediment to having a major downtown station, then it's a price worth paying.

The long-term numbers seem to show that Union station is going to remain a major bottleneck to operations in the future, with a limit on the number of train movements through the station. One way to decrease dwell times at Union is try and do things that make it so that you don't have 98% of the passengers trying to get on or off the train there.
The extension west at Danforth had to do with the track spacing. Extending it didn't alter the existing hazard and mitigating measures were already in place. If they've built a new infill station (or line extension station) in the last 20 years on a curve, then I'll accept that it's still a plausibility.

I'm all for giving GO good western and eastern distribution points, but you'd have to have a signicant impact on Union dwell times to justify a curved station to GO.

I'm all for giving GO good western and eastern distribution points, but you'd have to have a signicant impact on Union dwell times to justify a curved station to GO.

What about significant enhancement of the connectivity between the TTC and GO? I'd think that would be even more important than dwell times.

What about significant enhancement of the connectivity between the TTC and GO? I'd think that would be even more important than dwell times.
This is one reason why I want Metrolinx to upload the TTC. As it is, GO practically ignores the TTC and just does its own thing, as does the TTC in return. Leslie TTC Station and Oriole GO Station is a great example of the breakdown. They talk a lot about "mobility hubs", but unless the municipal partner is willing to put up some cash, GO tends to find alternative reasons to say 'no' as Metrolinx wants to spend money on improving GO service.

If they've built a new infill station (or line extension station) in the last 20 years on a curve, then I'll accept that it's still a plausibility.
The newish track 14 at Union has a good curve on it at the end. And presumably the proposed track 15 will have even more of a curve.

Leslie TTC Station and Oriole GO Station is a great example of the breakdown. They talk a lot about "mobility hubs", but unless the municipal partner is willing to put up some cash, GO tends to find alternative reasons to say 'no' as Metrolinx wants to spend money on improving GO service.
At Leslie, Toronto put up huge amounts of cash to build that station, designed to connect to new GO platforms. I really don't understand the big deal there ... I know they want to retain the existing parking ... but all they had to do is slide the platforms further north (and now over Esther Shiner Blvd), so perhaps there was only a 100 metre walk along the tracks from the end of the platform ... and maybe 100 metres at the other end to the car park. At the same time at the south, I'm baffled why GO - if leaving the platform where it is, hasn't simply arranged for a short pathway from there to the existing sidewalk at the SW corner of the Lesmill/Leslie interchange, which would save a huge amount of walking for anyone who uses GO and works in the business park at Lesmill/Duncan Mills. It's about a 500-metre walk from the platform to here ... and it should be about 50 metres.

The newish track 14 at Union has a good curve on it at the end. And presumably the proposed track 15 will have even more of a curve.
I had a look in the Design Requirements Manual, and they don't restrict the placement of platforms. There are only a couple references to platforms on curves. Generally, they are requirements for supplimental information if a platform is to be superelevated or on a curve.

"The platform should be located to take into account any operational constraints (curves, distance from level crossing), for the full range of applicable train lengths."

"Side clearances must be adjusted for curved track, in accordance with the CN or CP Railway Standards. The curve allowance is approximately 25.4 mm per degree of curve, and a further 25 mm for each 10 mm of superelevation."

"For station platforms on super-elevated or curved track, both horizontal and vertical track-to-platform clearances need to be justified."

At Leslie, Toronto put up huge amounts of cash to build that station, designed to connect to new GO platforms. I really don't understand the big deal there ... I know they want to retain the existing parking ... but all they had to do is slide the platforms further north (and now over Esther Shiner Blvd), so perhaps there was only a 100 metre walk along the tracks from the end of the platform ... and maybe 100 metres at the other end to the car park. At the same time at the south, I'm baffled why GO - if leaving the platform where it is, hasn't simply arranged for a short pathway from there to the existing sidewalk at the SW corner of the Lesmill/Leslie interchange, which would save a huge amount of walking for anyone who uses GO and works in the business park at Lesmill/Duncan Mills. It's about a 500-metre walk from the platform to here ... and it should be about 50 metres.
I was told the platform at Leslie GO didn't shift north because of the fibre optics in the area couldn't be affordably relocated. They then looked at a bridge north into the Context development, but Context didn't want to contribute, so they stopped looking at the area. A connection to the south wasn't asked for by GO, so it didn't even make it into the pro/con consideration.

I was told the platform at Leslie GO didn't shift north because of the fibre optics in the area couldn't be affordably relocated. They then looked at a bridge north into the Context development, but Context didn't want to contribute, so they stopped looking at the area. A connection to the south wasn't asked for by GO, so it didn't even make it into the pro/con consideration.
And perhaps that's an example why TTC should be uploaded. Seems to me they didn't try very hard. That subway station cost about $100 million or so in today's dollars ... how much would it cost to move fibre optics? No more than 0.5% of that, based on numbers I can find ...

To place a station north-west of King Street, properties adjacent to the corridor would be required, in one of the densest areas of the city. This would cause spill-out onto Sudbury St. to the east and/or the new residential development and Joe Shuster Way to the west.

The City also wants to extend the bike path through this section, but the EA documents would suggest this is not possible as the corridor has to be protected for the 8 track expansion. Once you add in drainage features, buried cables outside the tracks, overhead signal bridges, and protection for the future electrification catenary bases, the corridor fills up pretty quickly.

Adding station platform(s) would be much more difficult than a bike path. The City should also champion this idea to add to the political will of said station, otherwise Metrolinx will take the brunt of public backlash.

When Milton, Georgetown and Barrie trains actually run outside of rush hour then I think we'll have to address this. For now, it doesn't really matter, because getting off at LV won't help that many people. The big benefit is from stuff going on at the Exhibition or TFC games etc. Those don't occur during GO's peak times.

I wish there was some way to get this on GO's agenda (and TTC's when it comes to the DRL) so that a station here (and in the east as someone else suggested) can be planned in.

It would probably make more sense for Milton Line to get a stop at the existing station at Bloor before building a whole new station for it to stop in Liberty Village. Just sayin'.

It would probably make more sense for Milton Line to get a stop at the existing station at Bloor before building a whole new station for it to stop in Liberty Village. Just sayin'.

Stopping at Bloor does little for the folks on the Milton line, they already connect to the B-D Subway @ Kipling.....this stop that some of us here support would be of benefit to 3 lines not just Milton.

this stop that some of us here support would be of benefit to 3 lines not just Milton.

However at most they could have side platforms on the outermost tracks at Liberty Village so a benefit to 3 lines while possible at Bloor would be impossible at Liberty Village.

Back