News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Exhibition GO had double bailey bridges back before they built the tunnel.

image16004.gif

Attachments

• image16004.gif
    image16004.gif
    94.1 KB · Views: 457
Exhibition GO had double bailey bridges back before they built the tunnel.
It's a shame they couldn't have both a structure like this, and the tunnel.

Sure, the stairs aren't accessible. But if a lot of the pedestrian traffic went up the stairs, the tunnel would be more accessible for those who have to wait 5 minutes just to get to the elevator!

The good news, is that when the tunnel is (finally) completed the bottlneck at the north end will be somewhat increased, with many people leaving the game simply walking through the station to get to Atlantic.

Within a few years, no one will be going to TFC games so the issue at Exhibition will cease being an issue.
There have been major sporting events at Exhibition now for over 135 years. There's no evidence that will change, even if teams change over time.

With BMO's expansion and the expectation of up to 30 000 people per event, the crowding issue will only be getting worse
Plus temp endzone seats for PanAm. 40,000 people!
Combined with free GO use during PanAm.

[insert favourite armageddon image here for Exhibition GO station]

It's going to almost be preferable to walk all the way to Union, just to catch a westwards GO train before it crowds up. I may actually have to plan to do that; it's a very long but a nice waterfront walk if it's pleasant weather. Bring my water bottle!

*Commuter Tip: On a more positive note, I have discovered that some PanAm tickets are cheaper than the price of a couple of long-commute GO tickets for roundtrip (TTC/MiWay/GO/etc also becomes free, your PanAm tix is a defacto GTA-wide unlimited daypass). Take advantage of cheering ParaPanAm athletes, or some minor PanAm event, if you are tight on budget, enjoy the day in the city in addition to the event, or have a free work GO commute day and join your coworkers for a post-work PanAm event, before commuting home. Regardless of your opinion of PanAm, this is a great steal of free travel deal, that even includes GO Kitchener and GO Hamilton, and a good way to socialize with coworkers (or think of it as a paid GO commute but free PanAm event, whichever way you prefer). But hit the bars post-event before going to Exhibition GO if you don't want a nightmare far worse than Bloor-Yonge or Union. Then you're probably okay. I think. Maybe.

Last edited:

You sure about that? When BMO was selected for PanAms Rugby 7s it held 22k and that was the plan they were going with. The plan to expand to just over 30k was not even hatched. Now they have 8400 extra seats to sell....and I see no activity around additional seating ...nor have I heard of any plans to put 10k extra in before July.

Actually, I'm not sure -- I read many sources the brand new BMO Field is expandable to 40,000 temporarily using temporary endzone bleachers.

I re-confirmed (Google "BMO Field 40,000 people") but it appears they will not exercise this temporary endzone bleachers option during PanAm. Though, heavens; 30,000 permanent seats is still nearly 50% more seats than before, and 40,000 people double the size of the old BMO Field!

Last edited:
Actually, I'm not sure -- I read many sources the brand new BMO Field is expandable to 40,000 temporarily using temporary endzone bleachers.

I re-confirmed (Google "BMO Field 40,000 people") but it appears they will not exercise this temporary endzone bleachers option during PanAm. Though, heavens; 30,000 permanent seats is still nearly 50% more seats than before, and 40,000 people double the size of the old BMO Field!

I think you will see 40k (although I am not sure where/how they fit those in) for things like Grey Cups and NHL Outdoor games....but that would be it

Combined with free GO use during PanAm.

[insert favourite armageddon image here for Exhibition GO station]

It's going to almost be preferable to walk all the way to Union, just to catch a westwards GO train before it crowds up. I may actually have to plan to do that; it's a very long but a nice waterfront walk if it's pleasant weather. Bring my water bottle!

*Commuter Tip: On a more positive note, I have discovered that some PanAm tickets are cheaper than the price of a couple of long-commute GO tickets for roundtrip (TTC/MiWay/GO/etc also becomes free, your PanAm tix is a defacto GTA-wide unlimited daypass). Take advantage of cheering ParaPanAm athletes, or some minor PanAm event, if you are tight on budget, enjoy the day in the city in addition to the event, or have a free work GO commute day and join your coworkers for a post-work PanAm event, before commuting home. Regardless of your opinion of PanAm, this is a great steal of free travel deal, that even includes GO Kitchener and GO Hamilton, and a good way to socialize with coworkers (or think of it as a paid GO commute but free PanAm event, whichever way you prefer). But hit the bars post-event before going to Exhibition GO if you don't want a nightmare far worse than Bloor-Yonge or Union. Then you're probably okay. I think. Maybe.

Why walk. Sunday I left BMO a good 30 mins after the game ended and the crush at the stairs was un real. I decided to hop on an Eastbound train, get off at Union and hop on the next Westbound train. Didn't lose much time this way and had a seat all the way to my stop.

Anyone know if these new cab cars can be electrified? Are these for GO RER?
They can be no more electrified than any other current GO coach. They are just a coach with no engine.

They are very similar to the existing cab cars, but with a modified front end. Unlike the existing car cars, they can't be used as a centre coach.

These are to replace the existing cab cars, which will continue to be used as regular coaches.

CE1AI6JW0AAiGDU.jpg

Attachments

• CE1AI6JW0AAiGDU.jpg
    CE1AI6JW0AAiGDU.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 710
That looks pretty sharp, I must say. I wouldn't be surprised if just the sight of that thing from our area highways will result in correlative uptick in ridership within a few months of their release.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2015/05/this_is_what_the_new_go_cab_cars_look_like/

Anyone know if these new cab cars can be electrified? Are these for GO RER?
These aren't locomotives.
They are just cabs (coaches with remote-control of the locomotive at the other end of the train).
So it is compatible with both diesel and electric locomotives, and can be used with GO's electrification initiatives.

I anticipate GO RER to use the classic bilevels for Lakeshore RER, but pulled by electric locomotives. Even as GO RER converts to EMUs for certain lines such as Kitchener/Stoufville for various important reasons (infill station density, station size, faster acceleration, corridor capacity, ease of slotting between UPX trains, etc).

The dramatic increase to 15-minute service on several GO lines will consume a large number of bilevels, as well as new coaches created by the discontinued cabs (they would create roughly 5 new 12-car trainsets), and they still won't be enough.

They are very similar to the existing cab cars, but with a modified front end. Unlike the existing car cars, they can't be used as a centre coach.

They may LOOK similar and function the same as the existing cab cars, but structurally they are very, very different. These are built with stainless steel modules rather than aluminum, and the last 2 feet of each car is designed to compress in event of an accident - in concert with a number of other technologies and features, is commonly known as Crash Energy Management. And the 65 additional coaches on order for next year will also be built using these same features.

As the number indicates, this is the third unit built. There were photos of 301 on the assembly line in Thunder Bay floating around late last year, and 300 is apparently complete and being used for static testing.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That looks pretty sharp, I must say. I wouldn't be surprised if just the sight of that thing from our area highways will result in correlative uptick in ridership within a few months of their release.
And why would that be the case? That would be the equivalent of someone saying that the TTC's new streetcars will lead to an increase in ridership (which as we know does not happen). At best, a few 100 people will board the cab to see what it's like and it will have a negligible and temporary minuscule increase on the overall ride count.

Back