News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Nov 23
We may see the first roof section in place by Dec 23rd.

The blue steel frames are to support the columns until the roof top steel is tie in to all the columns. Its a safety precaution to prevent the steel frame falling down while trains are in service.

The columns are on either side of the existing roof truss framing by the VIA tracks.
6392666379_143863f9bc_b.jpg

6392661843_796b2733ca_b.jpg

6392664831_25ef1e692c_b.jpg

6392662593_64116383e4_b.jpg

6392664019_544b42f2a7_b.jpg

Seeing the height of those columns really makes the renderings come to life. Too soon to say but I think it's going to be awesome, maybe Zeidler's best work since the Eaton Centre.

Agree with you k10ery- this is going to be an impressive entance into Toronto for may commuters and visitors. Not only aesthetically better but it is going to be easier for travellers and commuters to get around and navigate! This is an investment that I won't protest.

They added new sections of steel beam across the top of two sets of the stilts/pillars for the new atrium of the train shed last night. It's looking very tall

Sorry for the not so great camera shot, but here is the start of the train shed atrium cross beams

TrainShed1.jpg

Sorry for the not so great camera shot, but here is the start of the train shed atrium cross beams
No need to apologize---very useful angle. That taken from 33 Bay?

Now that we have a fair idea how tall it'll be, I'm a little curious how much of an visual impression the new roof will make to observers not actually waiting under it for a train. I don't think it'll be quite tall enough for someone standing on Front Street to see it creeping above the existing station building facade. You might be able to catch some of it if traveling south on University Avenue where it swings east into York. From the south it should be visible from outside the ACC main entry, but the remaining view corridors through Southcore that might let a glimpse get through, like across the Delta site, are fast filling in.

No need to apologize---very useful angle. That taken from 33 Bay?

Now that we have a fair idea how tall it'll be, I'm a little curious how much of an visual impression the new roof will make to observers not actually waiting under it for a train. I don't think it'll be quite tall enough for someone standing on Front Street to see it creeping above the existing station building facade. You might be able to catch some of it if traveling south on University Avenue where it swings east into York. From the south it should be visible from outside the ACC main entry, but the remaining view corridors through Southcore that might let a glimpse get through, like across the Delta site, are fast filling in.

It'll be quite a sight to see when taking the Skywalk between Union and the Rogers Centre. That will probably be the single best public view of it.

They completed the 'cross beams' today and connected them together with a similar truss at the western end. I would imagine the next step is to move north and repeat the process when the begin the next stage

JAN18trainshed.jpg

What do you mean "no"? Clearly the truss sticks out beyond the supports and clearly there are protrusions on the ends of the truss in the picture above where they will be attaching more.

Looking at it from the ACC court yard, my opinion is unchanged. Connection plates on the West side look similar to the connection plates visible before the centre section of the truss was added.

What would going there tell me? Do they have pictures of what the final truss will look like or a sign saying the truss has now reached maximum width? Shouldn't the truss end with two right angles and no protruding parts?

Back