News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

These come off at the top of my head:

1. Majority of Allied Properties' Offices were old Industrial (Class I) conversions into Loft Spaces. www.alliedpropertiesreit.com

2. Wychwood Artscape Barn www.artscape.on.ca

3. Hotel St. Paul and Hotel Gault in Old Montreal (stayed at both and they are done very well).

4. Can't believe that I almost forgot my favorite hard loft conversion in Toronto: The Candy Factory Lofts!!!

The condo at 8 King E (the "Metropole"?) is a former bank headquarters that, I think, was only occupied as a bank for a few years. To me, this building's quick turnaround distinguishes it from the multigenerational shift exhibited in Allied REIT-style conversions.

Repurposed churches provide a convenient basis of discussing adaptive reuse that results from demographic/cultural shifts. From what I understand, there are a number of such conversions in both Montreal and Toronto.

Another interesting angle might be to look at residential areas that have shifted between upmarket and downmarket within the same built form, like Parkdale, Roncesvalles, High Park, The Annex (or, in the case of Parkdale, haven't yet made the last upmarket shift). Widmer St. in the Entertainment District, for example, used to be part of a tenement area for factory workers.

Sure, there's been "some degree of renovation," but it's not a facadectomy. The I-beam skeleton was the blood and guts of the office tower and the I-beam skeleton remains the blood and guts of the condo. What was really removed other than the window glass, dropped particle board ceilings, and coffee stains on the carpets? I don't recall what the old office building looked like, but it seems as if the I-beams are more of a focal point now than they were, and revealing such guts through renovation is the polar opposite of a facadectomy (and facadectomies are no-nos as per the rules).

It may be the polar opposite; but that doesn't make it any closer to what's commonly assumed as "adaptive reuse". And that's not a design criticism, it's a technicality criticism.

As for what the building formerly looked like, it was a polygonal 70s concrete Brutalist butt-plug, so it was truly a total aesthetic transformation from what it formerly was--"some degree of renovation" is understating things, to say the least.

Well, SNF can use whichever examples he wants, and aesthetic transformations may be more interesting than examples where the building stays exactly the same and only the 'tenants' change.

There are are lot of good loft conversions, but it's the mainstream example of adaptive reuse and kind of boring. That's because it's mostly factories and offices being which are converted. However, the church conversions would deserve a mention when it comes to residential.

Will the article have pictures? Most cases of "converted to art gallery," "converted to offices," or "converted to condos" may not be very interesting without pictures, but something like a candy factory converted to a denture manufacturer, or a fireworks factory converted to a fire station would be.

The World Trade Centre in Montreal's a good example. They incorporated the old CSL and Power Corp buildings into the larger complex. A lot of the old warehouses and office buildings in Old Montreal have been repurposed as condos and hotels. The new Westin they're building will incorporate the old Gazette buildings.

Back