News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

As for what constitutes art: it is simply an expression and manifestation of a person's soul.
So that mass murderer they caught recently in Trenton ... wouldn't you describe his murders and rapes as an expression and manifestation of a person's soul? So by your definition murder and rape is art? The definition is a start, but it needs to be defined a bit further ... unless you think what he did IS art!

Not to over-defend US, but by that count, any number of newspaper or journal critics of a MoMA show can be dismissed as "hacks", because their own artwork hasn't been displayed there.

It's a yahoo rejoinder. It's like McMansion design/builders sneering "let's see you do something better".

Mostly, though, it's an assimilationist rejoinder from someone who doesn't understand how tokenism works at galleries and museums. The ROM's Housepaint exhibition struck me as a not very good collection of paintings that were chosen for their passing social interest and fashionability rather than their lasting aesthetic value. A basic lack of talent disguised by savvy promotion can only take someone so far, as the critical drubbing of Damien Hirst's recent painting exhibition showed.

Not wanting to wade into an aesthetic war, I think that graffiti would gain a lot more legitimacy if it wasn't a deliberate defacement of others' property. If graffiti artists painted their own canvasses or were commissioned to spray walls by property owners themselves, few people would find it offensive - or, at least not offensive on any other level than on personal aesthetic judgements.

But commercial property owners are asking for this stuff by name, and in droves, another example of how horror vacui manifests itself to the detriment of the public realm.

I know this thread has been dead for a looooong time, but I found these on the net and wanted to share.... I'm sure some will appreciate them, I'm sure some will just continue to spew hatred.... anyway enjoy....

gin_0787.jpg

ginzoom.jpg

bimbe.jpg

W_03.jpg

W_04.jpg

W_05.jpg

alice7.jpg

W_09.jpg

W_13.jpg

W_20.jpg

W_21.jpg

W_24.jpg