News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It's not, it honestly works well. I've seen a few films that were shot flat and converted to 3D with disastrous results but the last two conversions I've seen have been really good, The Lion King & now Titanic. The best film I've seen that was shot in 3D is Hugo, Scorsese's brilliant use of 3D to draw the audience into the film is flawless. Titanic isn't as successful but it creates really good depth without any strange perception problems such as conversions I've seen like Piranha 3D, Clash of the Titans & a few others. If 3D isn't your thing, definitely see it in digital 2D then, it's really worth it.

Edit: 3D is a bit of a scam with the extra prices they charge, those glasses can't be worth more than 25¢.

Last edited:
I envy you guys still living in Toronto. I would be at the TIFF Bell Lightbox several times a week if I still lived there.

I have a ton of favourite films but a few off the top of my head:

Dazed and Confused
Pierrot le Fou
Irreversible
Mysterious Skin
Baraka
Alien
The Motorcycle Diaries
2001: A Space Odyssey
JFK

This year, my favourite movie so far is (surprisingly) 21 Jump Street, followed by Only the Young and Low & Clear (both of which I saw at Hot Docs a few weeks ago).

---

As far as 3D goes, Hugo was definitely one of the better uses of the technology. Avatar was obviously impressive as well. My two favourite 3D experiences so far though are probably Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and U2:3D. The latter especially - which I saw in IMAX at Scotiabank Theatre - is by far the best use of 3D I've ever seen. I'm not particularly a fan of U2 but seeing that movie in IMAX 3D with the most insane sound was actually better, in some ways, than being at a live concert. It felt pretty epic, especially in the scenes where you just see the crowd vanishing into the distance, lighters in the air waving back and forth - I actually felt like I was floating on top of an endless crowd. On top of that, it used some other techniques with 3D like superimpositions (which you wouldn't think would work but does) and slow-motion (which was really really cool). I'm kind of bummed because that movie came out years ago and no 3D movie I've seen since has topped it.

Last edited:
I'm also a big U2 fan, I went to see U2 3D four times at Scotiabank IMAX & loved it every time. I'd beg to differ as to how good the 3D was in it, I didn't think it was great but the big image and sound made the whole thing work just fine. U2 will only allow the film to be shown in 3D, there were no 2D engagements so I'm sure we can look forward to a 3D Blu ray real soon. It could also be something that could be requested at your local rep. cinema (not that there's many of those left) but most of the legit reps. in Toronto are digitally equipped now except Toronto Underground Cinema & The Regent (I think).

As for the new generation of 3D in the past decade or so, still the best I've seen (aside from a few films that were actually filmed in IMAX 3D) is Hugo. Not that I've seen anywhere near all of them, but it was my best experience, even better than Avatar IMO.

Yeah, maybe it was just one of the first 3D films I saw + the true IMAX screen and crazy sound and that left an impression but whatever the case, it worked really well for me in U2:3D. I'm hoping a 3D blu-ray comes out soon, I'd like to revisit it (I only saw it the one time with two friends).

Yeah, I'd say you're probably right about Hugo edging out Avatar's 3D use. The thing about Hugo is that the 3D is always present and adds to the film quite nicely but it's also never distracting. Avatar has a much more "look at me" mentality as far as 3D layers go but it means more strain and an experience that reminds you all the time that you're watching a 3D movie.

Of course, as they refine the technology and filmmakers get used to working with it, the experiences can only get better from here.

The first ten minutes of Ang Lee's 3D Life of Pi was shown to exhibitors a few weeks back and apparently blew a bunch of people's minds (not just for the 3D which is supposed to be fantastic, but for the footage itself). I think a bit of that footage is attached to 3D Prometheus prints so hopefully I'll get a chance to a bit of it this weekend. And I'm sure Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity 3D - which is unfortunately delayed till next year - will be something to behold considering it's all set in space, and will be mostly unbroken long shots (which I think is the best way to do 3D as you need time to adjust to the depth each time there's a cut).

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say you're probably right about Hugo edging out Avatar's 3D use. The thing about Hugo is that the 3D is always present and adds to the film quite nicely but it's also never distracting. Avatar has a much more "look at me" mentality as far as 3D layers go but it means more strain and an experience that reminds you all the time that you're watching a 3D movie.

You put that very well about Avatar & Hugo. Hugo completely engaged me and took me away on a wonderful journey into the film with the use of the 3D, it put me there without gimmicks. Not that there's anything wrong with 3D gimmicks, but I just thought the way that Scorsese drew the viewer into the story using 3D as an additional device was brilliant.

Back