News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Yes, KFC used to be a lot better a decade or two ago - it’s a sad shadow of it once was. In any case the recipe got leaked anyways.

AoD

As a kid in the 80's, my parents often took me to a KFC near Dundas and Kipling in Etobicoke, which was actually a large, full table service sit down restaurant that lacked the cheap appearance that we associate with fast food joints today. That was the only one like that which I was aware of - does anyone else here remember something similar?

Got a link? I'm curious about the 11 secret herbs and spices...

AoD

AoD

Alvin, perhaps we should hive off the KFC stuff to a new thread indicting that brand?

I just came across a Star article excoriating one of their new products, but it seems a bit much to add that here.

Thoughts?

On the subject of KFC; apparently they have a new sandwich product out; according to the Star.

Tis called 'The Scorcher'.

From the article:

1645537678357.png

Apparently features some Carolina Reaper in the hot sauce along cayenne pepper.

"KFC claims it’s “so hot” they even throw in a free bottle of milk to soothe the pain"

So the article's conceit was to have 3 people who all enjoy hot food review the sandwich. The reporter, another Star staffer, and an Indian Chef.

From the Indian Chef:

"4/10. I could only give it a 4 ... because I didn’t even feel like drinking the milk."

From the Star staffer:

"The sandwich wasn’t spicy at all. Selling this as spicy is marketing misinformation at its finest. I wasn’t even sure I had purchased the right thing."

From the reporter/author

"The fact that it is advertised as the real deal — for spice lovers who were sick of mild spice levels — is insane. As someone who loves Korean food, this sandwich was less spicy than mild kimchi."

None of those reviewing gave it better than 5/10

There's your problem in a nutshell, you're hyping the product as 'hot' for people who like heat..........and people who like heat are like......."What? Where's the heat at?"

Their culinary/creative team had one thing to do; they didn't have to make it great; no heirloom or organic, LOL. Just one thing......HOT.
They blew it.

It honestly makes me wonder about:

a) The people they have managing that side of the business.

b) The focus group they tested it on.

As with so much in society, if you ask the people who are doing something wrong how to do it better, you're often asking the wrong people.

Don't test the product on existing customers; you already have them; test it on the people you hope will become your customers and see what they think.

PS, aside from those many people who hail from cultures that know what heat is...........some of us Caucasian folk do go to Salad King and order the medium-hot, and finish the plate.
I remember the shocked look on staff the first I ordered there........and their look of concerns......"are you sure?" LOL

For those who haven't tried Salad King.....their medium will give many folks a melt-down.

Last edited:
On the subject of KFC; apparently they have a new sandwich product out; according to the Star.

Tis called 'The Scorcher'.

From the article:

View attachment 381329

Apparently features some Carolina Reaper in the hot sauce along cayenne pepper.

"KFC claims it’s “so hot” they even throw in a free bottle of milk to soothe the pain"

So the article's conceit was to have 3 people who all enjoy hot food review the sandwich. The reporter, another Star staffer, and an Indian Chef.

From the Indian Chef:

"4/10. I could only give it a 4 ... because I didn’t even feel like drinking the milk."

From the Star staffer:

"The sandwich wasn’t spicy at all. Selling this as spicy is marketing misinformation at its finest. I wasn’t even sure I had purchased the right thing."

From the reporter/author

"The fact that it is advertised as the real deal — for spice lovers who were sick of mild spice levels — is insane. As someone who loves Korean food, this sandwich was less spicy than mild kimchi."

None of those reviewing gave it better than 5/10

There's your problem in a nutshell, you're hyping the product as 'hot' for people who like heat..........and people who like heat are like......."What? Where's the heat at?"

Their culinary/creative team had one thing to do; they didn't have to make it great; no heirloom or organic, LOL. Just one thing......HOT.
They blew it.

It honestly makes me wonder about:

a) The people they have managing that side of the business.

b) The focus group they tested it on.

As with so much in society, if you ask the people who are doing in wrong how to do it better, you're often asking the wrong people.

Don't test the product on existing customers; you already have them; test it on the people you hope will become your customers and see what they think.

PS, aside from those many people who hail from cultures that know what heat is...........some of us Caucasian folk do go to Salad King and order the medium-hot, and finish the plate.
I remember the shocked look on staff the first I ordered there........and their look of concerns......"are you sure?" LOL

For those who haven't tried Salad King.....their medium will give many folks a melt-down.

They got it exactly right. The point wasn't to make a sandwich for people who "like it hot". It was for people who want to buy a sandwich advertised as such; a seemingly minute but important distinction.

The whole "white people don't know what hot really is" schtick seems like a widespread affectation now for some restaurants. The ones that have a selection of something like 15 different spice levels which you can pick and choose from for any dish, all with cutesy names like "White person pretending they are brave". Unfortunately, this has led to things like suicide sauce here in North America that's basically just pure capsicum and no flavour.

There is many an Indian chef in the west (this is a big controversy in the UK) that laments people demanding a traditionally delicately flavoured curry be made at the "ELEVEN OUT OF TEN INSANITY SPICE LEVEL ONLY REAL INDIANS SHOULD EAT THIS" which destroys the work put into the dish, making it a vinegary, sour, super hot soup of chili juice.

I hate it as there's really no way to actually know how hot anything will be anymore.

They got it exactly right. The point wasn't to make a sandwich for people who "like it hot". It was for people who want to buy a sandwich advertised as such; a seemingly minute but important distinction.

The whole "white people don't know what hot really is" schtick seems like a widespread affectation now for some restaurants. The ones that have a selection of something like 15 different spice levels which you can pick and choose from for any dish, all with cutesy names like "White person pretending they are brave". Unfortunately, this has led to things like suicide sauce here in North America that's basically just pure capsicum and no flavour.

There is many an Indian chef in the west (this is a big controversy in the UK) that laments people demanding a traditionally delicately flavoured curry be made at the "ELEVEN OUT OF TEN INSANITY SPICE LEVEL ONLY REAL INDIANS SHOULD EAT THIS" which destroys the work put into the dish, making it a vinegary, sour, super hot soup of chili juice.

I hate it as there's really no way to actually know how hot anything will be anymore.

If no one reviewing the sandwich liked it; they didn't get it right.

KFC's business has been stagnant for ages.

They're doing a lot wrong.

Be that as it may; I totally subscribe to the idea heat should not override flavour. That's why I don't order Salad King's top tier of heat, because you can't taste the food when you do that.

But if you're going to deride the competition and say this is spicy for people who love spice, then the people you should be pleasing are those who like spice; and clearly they did not.

Had no idea such a thread existed! Lol

I used to like KFC but ever since they changed their batter or method where the chicken comes out greasier nowadays, I’ve moved on to Popeyes. KFC says their current chicken is the original recipe but I personally prefer the crispy, flaky and dryer chicken that they had about 10-15 years ago. The current stuff it just too greasy and not crispy at all; it’s like they stuck on the skin with grease.

And about Fried Chicken Sandwhiches. The only good one I found was A&W’s limited spicy chicken burger. That was really good, had a good kick but the sweet pickle balanced it off.

Out of all the chicken chains i would say Chick-fil-A is the best. I hope they expand more across Ontario, some menu items are a little overrated, but the chicken sandwich it's up there with Popeye's. But what impressed me the most was the friendly customer service and how fast the insanely long line up moved, unlike Tim Horton's where you wait 10 minutes even if there is two people a head of you.

I think if Chick-fil-A expands across Ontario you might see them take out some of the struggling run down KFC's.

I think Mary Brown's chicken might top my list though.

Today for lunch i had a Big Mary chicken sandwich I was really impressed! it was one of the better chicken sandwich's I've had, as far as chain chicken places go.

I haven't had Mary Brown's in years.. When i was growing up KFC was always better than Mary Brown's. Of course that's all changed now a days.

Putting aside the seasoning part, the non-chain shops that serve "broasted chicken" is the closest to what KFC used to be.

Today for lunch i had a Big Mary chicken sandwich I was really impressed! it was one of the better chicken sandwich's I've had, as far as chain chicken places go.

I haven't had Mary Brown's in years.. When i was growing up KFC was always better than Mary Brown's. Of course that's all changed now a days.

So, on your suggestion, I gave this one a try today. I had the 'spicy' Big Mary combo (comes /pop and potato wedges)

`Sandwich: Chicken is decent, reasonable crunch, pickles are forgettable, bun is fine, but not every interesting, spicy mayo ......ok.

Spice level, including the cayenne on the chicken, decent. A bit mild for me, and a slow build (you don't really notice it for the first few bites)....... but it will get you to blow your nose, eventually.

Really, overall pretty decent for a Quick-serve offer.

Potatoes: Not my thing. They have some kind of coating on them, I'm guessing at potato starch, but could be a flour dredge of some kind; I find it rather bland, potatoes seem to be russets, very fluffy inside, for those who like the beef-eater type fry this could be good. But its not a good salt n' vinegar type chip, nor an aioli frites. Its more of a potato w/gravy or a very strong dip.

Would I go again? Not often, but sure, but next time I'll ask for coleslaw in lieu of the potato; or I'll just get the sandwich by itself.

Believe it or not, Colonel Sanders, yes, the person gracing every KFC (both the restaurants and the buckets themselves), spent the last few decades of his life in Mississauga.

He lived very close to the intersection of Dixie and Queensway East.

If I'm not mistaken, the initial Canadian introduction of KFC was at the Rendezvous on Plains Rd. in Burlington.

Back