39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

10 September 2014
Compatibility, Done Backwards

Steps from an 8-inch platform
into a Bombardier bilevel car
with a 25-inch floor. The first
step is 10", the second 7" Caltrain justifies its desire to procure a new EMU fleet with 25" floor height thus:
With a 25” floor threshold, the new fleet will still be compatible with the existing fleet and platforms and could transition to level boarding over time. "Existing fleet" in this context means the Bombardier bi-level cars, known to the layperson as the red Baby Bullet cars. Caltrain plans to keep these cars for a few years after the new EMUs arrive. The Bombardiers already have a floor height of 25" above the rail, although existing 8" platforms currently require two steps up, as seen in the photo at right.

The statement above sounds like a genuine interest in compatibility, and at first reading seem to make sense. But let's analyze Caltrain's ideas about compatibility more closely.

Compatibility with Existing Fleet

Suppose for a moment that we planned to "transition to level boarding over time" at 25 inches, because we think it's smart to match the floor level of the Bombardier cars so that we can keep using them after the conversion to level boarding. Is that even a feasible scenario?

The "before" and "after" cases are straightforward. Before transition is just the way things are today. After transition is complete, the entry steps are easily modified to match the interior floor height, achieving gap-free level boarding just like this photo of Utah FrontRunner Bombardier cars docked at 25-inch platforms.

It's the "during" case where things fall apart: because the step modification involves a one-time visit to the shop, there is no way for a Bombardier train (or any other train in Caltrain's existing fleet!) to serve an evolving mix of high and low platforms in daily service during the "transition to level boarding over time". There would be a 7-inch deep, foot-wide trough between the platform and the car floor that would qualify as a serious tripping hazard even for an able-bodied passenger. This configuration would be illegal under a number of federal regulations. The Bombardier fleet would have reduced utility for the duration of the transition to level boarding, likely to be several years. So let's say it again:

Bombardier cars cannot serve an evolving mix of 8" and 25" platforms during a transition to level boarding over time.

Once the transition to level boarding is complete, maybe in the mid-2030s, the Bombardier cars will be at the end of their useful life. Given the limited remaining lifetime of the Bombardier cars, their inflexibility during transition, and their dwindling residual value, there is little value in matching the new level boarding platform height to the Bombardier cars. There may even be negative value in doing so.

Compatibility with Existing Platforms

Mini-high platform built on top of
8-inch platform. The top of the
mini-high is at 22 inches ATOR.
This is primarily an issue of wheelchair boarding. Matching the new EMUs to the 25-inch floor height of Bombardier cars allows Caltrain to procure EMUs without vehicle-borne wheelchair lifts, which are expensive to purchase and maintain. Instead, the EMUs would re-use the existing mini-high platforms to perform wheelchair boarding, using a bridge plate to span the large gap between the mini-high platform and the train. (Recall this ~3-foot gap is present in the first place because of a California PUC regulation on side clearances for freight trains).

To ensure that a wheelchair user can safely navigate across the bridge plate, its maximum slope is set by ADA law under 49 CFR 38.95 as follows:
  • 1-in-4 for a height change of less than 3 inches from platform to train
  • 1-in-6 for a height change between 3 and 6 inches
  • 1-in-8 for a height change between 6 and 9 inches
  • 1-in-12 (similar to building wheelchair ramps) for a height change greater than 9 inches
Suppose for a moment that we planned to buy EMUs that have to make use of the existing mini-high platforms, which are built 22 inches above the rail and set back 8 feet from the track center line. What we have is a geometry problem: the ADA slope regulations constrain the vehicle floor height that is reachable from the existing mini-high platforms. The maximum reachable height is about 27 inches, which (after accounting for a bit of margin) may explain Caltrain's fixation on 25 inches.

But then consider also: each mini-high platform is worth (generously) about $150k to replace. On a system with 27 stations, 54 mini-high platforms will cost about $8 million to replace. While that sounds like a lot of money ("Eight Million Dollars!") this sum is a pittance on the scale of the investments being contemplated. Eight million dollars is two percent of the cost of the new EMU fleet, and less than a percent of the cost of the electrification project. Put simply, the mini-high platforms have insignificant value and are a trifle to replace. Designing Caltrain's future around them is certainly penny wise, but quite possibly pound foolish.

Thinking Inside the Box

While Caltrain is no doubt very attached to its growing collection of mini-high platforms and its expanding Bombardier fleet, neither of these items should drive the design of the future platform interface for level boarding. 25 inches is a fine platform height, but selecting it on the basis of these two perceived "constraints" could prove very unwise in the long run.

Caltrain appears to have an uncomfortable relationship with the level boarding issue: it's a distraction from their current big project to electrify the railroad, it's logistically far more challenging to plan for than just stringing up some wire, it involves fighting clearance regulations that are dear to the freight railroads, it isn't funded, and they'd rather not think about it right now because the issue gives them a headache.

But what sort of modernization is this if level boarding becomes a careless afterthought?
http://caltrain-hsr.blogspot.ca/2014/09/compatibility-done-backwards.html

GO definitely needs to get proper level boarding, because the current procedure with the CSA manually laying down and picking up a wheelchair ramp at every station seriously adds to the station dwell times, which represents increased operating cost due to increased employee and equipment time as well as lost potential revenue due to slower service. This is absolutely unacceptable given the close station spacing planned for RER.

Retrofitting platforms will be expensive no matter which option is chosen, so my preference is to go all-out with 48" platforms, to ensure interoperability and accesibility with Amtrak, AMT, VIA and UP Express (especially if we want to use UPX as a jumping-off point into RER). We have a huge number of new station platforms planned for the next decade at both existing and new-build stations, so the sooner GO picks a level-boarding solution, the less it will cost.

PlatformHeightComparison.JPG

Attachments

• PlatformHeightComparison.JPG
    PlatformHeightComparison.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,444
Last edited:
Bombardier Bilevels can just as easily be spec'd with an exterior step level with the interior floor, which allows for level boarding while also allowing the platform to be set back far enough to accommodate freight movements.
800px-Frontrunner_bombardier_bike_car.jpg

UTA FrontRunner - from Wikimedia Commons

I seem to recall that FrontRunner was built from the outset to operate on its own dedicated tracks, which meant having enough dynamical clearance for freights to pass station platforms wasn't a design constraint. I would assume that means they could build the entirety of their platforms up to the same height as GO's accessibility mini-platforms (BiLevel floor level) but unlike GO, which has to terrace the mini-platforms back a few feet to preserve the freight clearance envelope, they were able to get much closer to the coach wall.

Even in later expansion phases, where FrontRunner has merged into a couple of short lengths of shared track with freight, the stations are still built on their own siding tracks... once they picked this lane for their boarding height, they had to stick with it system-wide and couldn't have any platforms coexisting with freight.

Obviously UP is proof there are workarounds available in Toronto that put platform edges inside that freight bubble. I've noticed that the UP platform edges project out from the platform slab proper, so perhaps that has something to do with it?

Last edited:
I seem to recall that FrontRunner was built from the outset to operate on its own dedicated tracks, which meant having enough dynamical clearance for freights to pass station platforms wasn't a design constraint. I would assume that means they could build the entirety of their platforms up to the same height as GO's accessibility mini-platforms (BiLevel floor level) but unlike GO, which has to terrace the mini-platforms back a few feet to preserve the freight clearance envelope, they were able to get much closer to the coach wall.

Even in later expansion phases, where FrontRunner has merged into a couple of short lengths of shared track with freight, the stations are still built on their own siding tracks... once they picked this lane for their boarding height, they had to stick with it system-wide and couldn't have any platforms coexisting with freight.

Obviously UP is proof there are workarounds available in Toronto that put platform edges inside that freight bubble. I've noticed that the UP platform edges project out from the platform slab proper, so perhaps that has something to do with it?

Yes, FrontRunner stations all have dedicated passenger tracks. But it illustrates the concept, which is that you can put a lip under the doors to allow the platforms to be set back further while still providing level boarding.

Do we know what this mythical freight envelope is based on? Is it a generous area around a poorly-loaded freight train going 60 mph? Can we do a lower setback than the existing mini-platforms if freight is limited to 10 mph or something? In any case, as you said, we know there is some possibility for 48" platforms given that we already have some.

I wonder if for future go train assemble cars and the RER lines if they could build a folding ramp into the train the same way that buses do or the new streetcars in Toronto do?

Mythical? Really?

Here's what 17 seconds on Google netted me:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_gauge#North_America
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/railsafety/standards-tce05-233.htm

There's nothing mythical about any of these - some of them have been in force for 100 years.

I'm not saying that freight envelopes don't exist, obviously. I'm saying people keep going on about this envelope and I'm not sure exactly how it applies to GO platforms given that we have high-level stations which clearly are within it (which I think should be covered in your second link, thanks).

Bombardier Bilevels can just as easily be spec'd with an exterior step level with the interior floor, which allows for level boarding while also allowing the platform to be set back far enough to accommodate freight movements.

The Frontrunner doesn't share it's station sections with freight; they get away with a different step design due to not being obligated to fit the freight envelope.

You have a good point though that Union needs to fit the train car design which is best suited to locations which do share track with freight, even if only occasionally. I know TTC was looking at a gap filler (it's very flexible horizontally to allow a train to push through on a slight curve but strong vertically). I wonder if something like that can be scaled up for GO.

The Frontrunner doesn't share it's station sections with freight; they get away with a different step design due to not being obligated to fit the freight envelope.

You have a good point though that Union needs to fit the train car design which is best suited to locations which do share track with freight, even if only occasionally. I know TTC was looking at a gap filler (it's very flexible horizontally to allow a train to push through on a slight curve but strong vertically). I wonder if something like that can be scaled up for GO.
I forget what jurisdiction is using these, it could well be CalTrain, but the compromise (which remains necessary, like it or not, even the US is offering waivers on this while Canada languishes) can be better addressed until all lines are passenger only by treadles being automatically extended when the edge of the platform is detected, and/or when the doors are opened. These automatically fill the gap, and only extend if the flush level platform is there, otherwise the present lower step is exposed to allow stepping down to ground level (almost) platform.

The compromise due to using freight lines is unavoidable, the challenge for now is in addressing that, not denying it. No-one wishes more for all inner-city lines to be passenger only than me, but it just isn't going to happen until the Missing Link, and even there, freight will have to be run at night. You can use flip up/down extenders on platforms, but it's hardly fool-proof. Extendable ledges on the coaches are far more sensible.

As the problem pertains to the US:
Problems with height changes
RailPac suggests in a report that changes to the 8 and 25 in (203 and 635 mm) platform height standard are happening.[11] Another problem is the proposal for the height of platforms for new stations. The US Federal Department of Justice (DOJ) wants to have platforms 15 inches (381 mm) above the top of the rails. At this time, most are 8 inches (203 mm) high (except on the Northeast Corridor). As of 2007 the US DOJ is still in the process of creating the proposal, but the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) is treating it like an existing rule.

Some of the effects of this include the problem of a single height platform when multiple types of railcars (with different platform heights) use a station. Right now, Amtrak cannot use the new platforms at certain stations because the platforms do not match with the floor height of the railcars. If Amtrak uses those platforms, it is in danger of losing operating funds. The 15-inch (381 mm) height would cause problems with freight cars passing them. If this rule is in effect when the refurbished Coast Starlight is ready in 2008, it will greatly complicate the service. As of 2014, there is a new platform at the Hanford Amtrak station which was built with California state money, but the FRA will not allow trains to use that platform.[12]

The Coast Rail Coordinating Council decided to ask federal legislators to work on changing the rule of platform height, in order to allow more flexibility.[12]

The changes described above are explained in Federal Register: 27 February 2006 (Volume 71, Number 38) page 9764, Commuter and Intercity Rail Station Platform Accessibility, "Amtrak cars serving the area in which the commuter system will be operated. This means that cars in the eastern part of the US would have floor heights of 48 inches (1,219 mm) above top of rail, while those in the southern/western part of the US would have floor heights of 15 inches (380 mm) above top of rail. The purpose of this proposal is to prevent situations—some of which the Department has encountered—in which Amtrak and commuter rail cars with different floor heights use the same station platforms, complicating the provision of level entry boarding." [...]
https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Railway platform height&item_type=topic

Last edited:
I'd like to bump this thread.

Has there been any news on this?

To me it seems SmarTrack has been kind of absorbed by GO RER (if it happens at all). Also, VIA HFR probably has the biggest overlap with GO, so they may want to decide on a common platform height. They may not necessarily need to be compatible with the existing VIA platform height (because HFR will get new rolling stock). But they may want to continue compatibility with the giant fleet of Bombardier bilevels.

At the same time, VIA HFR may also want to share with the RTM (Montreal), which has almost standardized around those 8"/48" multilevels.

That is why it is imperative they all figure out a RER progression that allows compatibility without sacrifices. High traffic stations come first, but they will not be able to convert everying systemwide in less than a few decades as BiLevels get grandfathered eventually.

Maybe a retractable step retrofitted to existing Bombardier Bilevels. Some trains have automated retractabe steps for 8" vs 25" platforms, but this would be a first for Bombardier BiLevels.

Roght now, high platforms work with Utah FrontRunner, but it's a permanent, non-retractable level step:

IMG_5754.JPG

(Credit: blog)

The question is how to make BiLevels compatible with both high/low platforms.

Or maybe the high platforms will only be reserved for RER EMUs, along the "SmartTrack" routing.

I am very interested in how this will progress.

Attachments

• IMG_5754.JPG
    IMG_5754.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 859
Last edited:
I wonder whether there is data on the passenger flow within GO bilevels. My impression is that the stairs to the top level, and not the doors, is the limiting factor on passenger flows. For example, at Union, once the doors are open on both sides of the train, the doors have ample capacity, but it takes forever for all the 'upstairs' passengers to make their way downstairs.

The old GO single level stock proved to be poor at loading, partly because passengers pooled on the platforms at the ends of the cars, but mostly because the vestibules funnelled into a single narrow bulkhead between the vestibules and the interior. The current door spacing on the bilevels is optimal - so maybe the 20 inch platforms, but wider interior stairways, is a better way to go.

- Paul

Back