News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

TrickyRicky - With respect, it wasn't hard for the Liberals to balance the budget under Chretien. They were in power during the largest economic expansion in history and had absolute dictatorial power thanks to their solid majority. Didn't hurt that they were virtually unopposed at every election, either. There was no pressure to compromise with other parties and they could do as they wished; a power that Paul Martin used wisely for the overall benefit of the nation. Harper was in a minority position and had to concede to the will of the opposition, which was to spend stimulus money. Hard to deny that both the Liberals and NDP pushing hard for the stimulus.

I find it difficult to believe that Harper is a spendthrift at heart, but rather he did what he did to retain power - not a laudable move, IMO. With a majority, we will see if the spending spree continues...

Take a drive down Steeles Ave. sometime and you can see that stimulus money was well worth it...

I find it difficult to believe that Harper is a spendthrift at heart, but rather he did what he did to retain power - not a laudable move, IMO. With a majority, we will see if the spending spree continues...
Don't forget that Harper's promises were not even real promises. He promised tax breaks... essentially after the NEXT election. eg. "I'll increase the TFSA contribution room... after we balance the budget in 2016".

These are some of the weirdest promises in Canadian political history, but they worked.

How can you shout at people for having a differing opinion than yours? Don't you believe in democracy or only when your party is the beneficiary?

Oh the typical Reich wing democracy response: *now that we're in power you need to shut up.*

Never mind that the right complain constantly about the legitimacy of any government not in tune with their policies, once they are in power the debate is OVAH!

Enjoy the next 4-5 years of *democracy* Canadians.

the 905 is delusional... the reality is that the rising gas prices are going to kill them... And the worst part is that the cons wont be very quick to add extra transit like GO to solve the issue.. All the areas in Toronto that went Conservative minue Scarborough are all well off areas. People on Avenue Road or in forest hill or at yonge and Sheppard dont have to worry about transit.. They can afford to drive if they want to.. So their issue was someone that was going to tax them less... If you look at 5 of the areas where Cons won in Toronto they won by 1000 ppl each... Not a HUGE win but it all still makes a difference...

the 905 is delusional... the reality is that the rising gas prices are going to kill them... And the worst part is that the cons wont be very quick to add extra transit like GO to solve the issue.. All the areas in Toronto that went Conservative minue Scarborough are all well off areas. People on Avenue Road or in forest hill or at yonge and Sheppard dont have to worry about transit.. They can afford to drive if they want to.. So their issue was someone that was going to tax them less... If you look at 5 of the areas where Cons won in Toronto they won by 1000 ppl each... Not a HUGE win but it all still makes a difference...

The 905s are generally well off areas too. Yes, higher gas prices will hurt, but not significantly since the biggest expense for most people is tax. If people can afford to drive huge cars before, they can afford to drive far more gas efficient cars now.

That's not to say transit is unnecessary of course. Markham is doing a rapid way for Viva. Unfortunately, Toronto is not doing the same from Finch to Richmond Hill center.

How can you shout at people for having a differing opinion than yours? Don't you believe in democracy or only when your party is the beneficiary?
Settle down, champ, I was kidding!

The majority of voters still don't support Harper. They aren't not the problem. The real enemy is anachronistic FPTP sytem.

Did you even look at the maps in your links? Toronto proper, including its edges, was unanimously Liberal up until last night. Unless you are hinting that the Liberals are a right of centre party, in which case we will simply agree to disagree...
I'm looking at the map where major parts of Scaroborough and Etobicoke have gone from red to orange (centrist-left to even more left), which I'd love to consider a referendum on Ford's performance so far by his base constituency, but I don't think that's a terribly accurate statement.

Last edited:
Oh the typical Reich wing democracy response
"Reich wing"? If you had any credibility in the past, you've just lost it.

the 905 is delusional...
Personally I think a LOT of people on this 416-centric board are simply crying chicken little.

And for the record, I live in the 416 (in a non-blue riding), and I didn't vote for the Conservatives. I am, however, sick of the whining about how everyone else who doesn't share some board members' views are idiotic, delusional, and are going to eat our babies.

A lot of those seats that went Conservative actually voted towards the left if you add the NDP and Liberal votes... everyone could see even before the election that the conservatives can't be beat with all the vote splitting going on by the left.
The reason the conservatives are so successful now is because they are the only right wing party.. they merged their parties years ago and now reap the rewards. Are the left of centre parties too stubborn to do the same? Probably.

Voices are lost when parties merge. The answer is not to unite the left but to ditch the First Past the Post electoral system in favour of proportional representation. We need more political parties, not less.

Correct. We need proportional representation, but we're not likely to get it now, and the Liberals might have no choice but to merge, now that their funding is in jeapordy.

Good analysis here: http://torontoist.com/2011/05/the_day_after.php

I'm really not looking forward to an American-style two-party system.

Last edited:
The answer is not to unite the left but to ditch the First Past the Post electoral system in favour of proportional representation.

Yes but why would the Conservatives want to allow that when it would mean they would lose? They are in power so there is no way they would push for something that would hurt them.

Could potentially live with a two party system short term so long as the first act of a left leaning government was to enact some form of PR.

Could potentially live with a two party system short term so long as the first act of a left leaning government was to enact some form of PR.
I fear the new party would gradually drift to the centre.

A lot of those seats that went Conservative actually voted towards the left if you add the NDP and Liberal votes... everyone could see even before the election that the conservatives can't be beat with all the vote splitting going on by the left.
The reason the conservatives are so successful now is because they are the only right wing party.. they merged their parties years ago and now reap the rewards. Are the left of centre parties too stubborn to do the same? Probably.

The results show that Canada is still a left-leaning country so, if anything, we should have a split between two left-of-centre parties. I also really abhor the idea of a two party system like the United States. You also never know on the right: the conservatives became an Ontario party, and particularly, a GTA party with increasing ties to Ontario old money and power that used to be safely in the hands of the Liberals. As the conservatives begin to have more of an Ontario/Bay street presence, it might begin to alienate some of their Alberta base - particularly far right wing, social conservatives in rural ridings who vote primarily based on their moral compass. Could we see a split on the right, with a federal wing of the Wildrose Alliance?

Back