News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I had an interesting trip the other day. Tapped on YRT (and paid $3.88). Then about 40 minutes later I tapped on at the subway station. And then an hour or so later onto a streetcar. All free of course (I'm loving this!).

And then, 121 minutes after my first YRT tap (84 minutes after my first TTC tap), I tapped on again. And got charged a TTC fare!

Wasn't there a discussion further up that you could tap on TTC free for 2 hours after your first TTC tap? I'm not sure if something changed, or I missed the point of the earlier discussion.

To add insult to injury, this was a single trip. Though I admit I made some poor choices, in trying to avoid a gap up near Steeles and big delays with the construction on Lawrence. Then later trying to save time but just missing a streetcar leading to a long gap. Normally this trip is about 65 to 80 minutes - and I managed to muddle it into a 125-minute epic (would have been about 90 minutes if I'd just stuck to my usual route that day).

To add insult to injury, I only tapped the final time, because my streetcar was short-turned 3 stops before the end of my trip!

1716601473214.png

Last edited:
I had an interesting trip the other day. Tapped on YRT (and paid $3.88). Then about 40 minutes later I tapped on at the subway station. And then an hour or so later onto a streetcar. All free of course (I'm loving this!).

And then, 121 minutes after my first YRT tap (84 minutes after my first TTC tap), I tapped on again. And got charged a TTC fare!

Wasn't there a discussion further up that you could tap on TTC free for 2 hours after your first TTC tap? I'm not sure if something changed, or I missed the point of the earlier discussion.

To add insult to injury, this was a single trip. Though I admit I made some poor choices, in trying to avoid a gap up near Steeles and big delays with the construction on Lawrence. Then later trying to save time but just missing a streetcar leading to a long gap. Normally this trip is about 65 to 80 minutes - and I managed to muddle it into a 125-minute epic (would have been about 90 minutes if I'd just stuck to my usual route that day).

To add insult to injury, I only tapped the final time, because my streetcar was short-turned 3 stops before the end of my trip!

View attachment 566545
I believe you only get a renew on the transfer (3 hours) if you tap on at GO.

View attachment 566545
I believe the 2 hour window applies for TTC when your first tap is on TTC. In this case, your first tap was on YRT.

I believe you only get a renew on the transfer (3 hours) if you tap on at GO.
I'm not seeing that either (at least going back to TTC).

Looking at this sequence, first tap on TTC (streetcar). Changed to subway 36 minutes later. Then a 13-minute long GO trip 15 minutes after that. A free 14-minute GO trip starting 2'55" after my first GO trip (and 3'46" after my first TTC tap). But a TTC subway trip 2 minutes later was charged. On the other hand, it was two distinct GO trips - so fair is fair (fare is fare :) )

1716672372936.png

One might wonder if it's because of the preceding TTC tap. But here's a similar sequence that starts on GO instead of TTC.
1716672588264.png

I'm not seeing that either (at least going back to TTC).

Looking at this sequence, first tap on TTC (streetcar). Changed to subway 36 minutes later. Then a 13-minute long GO trip 15 minutes after that. A free 14-minute GO trip starting 2'55" after my first GO trip (and 3'46" after my first TTC tap). But a TTC subway trip 2 minutes later was charged. On the other hand, it was two distinct GO trips - so fair is fair (fare is fare :) )

View attachment 566709

One might wonder if it's because of the preceding TTC tap. But here's a similar sequence that starts on GO instead of TTC.
View attachment 566710
The way I see it, from your first set of trips, the tap (on) at GO was at 6:54pm. The new transfer expiration time would therefore be 9:54pm. Your last leg of TTC just missed it by 9min. You almost made it. ;)

For your second set of trips, the transfer expiration time should be 9:36pm.

Last edited:
Not sure where to post this. But ever since the One Fare program started I’ve noticed that Milton trains are a lot more crowded from Union to Kipling. Masses of standees. And then they all get off at Kipling and there’s space to sit again. It would be interesting to see the statistics on how this has impacted GO ridership. I imagine a similar pattern could be happening at other subway stations colocated with GO stations.

Not sure where to post this. But ever since the One Fare program started I’ve noticed that Milton trains are a lot more crowded from Union to Kipling. Masses of standees. And then they all get off at Kipling and there’s space to sit again. It would be interesting to see the statistics on how this has impacted GO ridership. I imagine a similar pattern could be happening at other subway stations colocated with GO stations.
I saw a parade of people transferring from Bloor GO to Dundas West Station during the afternoon rush a few weeks ago. Makes sense to take GO for 40 cents more if your office is near Union.

I saw a parade of people transferring from Bloor GO to Dundas West Station during the afternoon rush a few weeks ago. Makes sense to take GO for 40 cents more if your office is near Union.
It would be interesting to see numbers on how integration has changed some of those trips. I'd think there'd be more people using the Milton line to Kipling station and changing to TTC - that's significantly faster than subway. On the other hand, it's a $4.76 GO fare rather than the $3.70 to Bloor, Kennedy, or Danforth.

Back