News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

That's hilarious! All we need to do is add a St.Catharines GO Train that stops at the Niagara Falls customs stop.

Places42.jpg

What is a lady dressed like that doing in Downtown Oshawa in the middle of winter?

"Together we can create a transportation system that enhances the prosperity, sustainability and quality of life."

How about learning some grammar first before promising the world.

Has anyone read the first green paper? There are some interesting points in it, and it definitely discusses and provides examples of cities that have very ambitious transit plans...

So I am curious exactly how much power the GTTA actually has.

For instance, say the feds participate, and the GTAH area gets 17.5B earmarked for transit projects. Can the GTTA only take half, or a third, or none of the MoveOntario 2020 recommendations and spend the money as they see fit? I'd be interested to see what would happen if politics was taken out of the picture and they were given nothing but a mandate to spend the 17.5B in the most efficient (cost wise) and effective (people moving wise) way.

They would have to research the shit out of the area to really understand traffic flows right now, and then project them well into the future, and as such, devise a plan that makes sense.

Does anyone expect any minor or major changes when the RTP is finalized in the fall of 08?

Has anyone read the first green paper? There are some interesting points in it, and it definitely discusses and provides examples of cities that have very ambitious transit plans...

So I am curious exactly how much power the GTTA actually has.

For instance, say the feds participate, and the GTAH area gets 17.5B earmarked for transit projects. Can the GTTA only take half, or a third, or none of the MoveOntario 2020 recommendations and spend the money as they see fit? I'd be interested to see what would happen if politics was taken out of the picture and they were given nothing but a mandate to spend the 17.5B in the most efficient (cost wise) and effective (people moving wise) way.

They would have to research the shit out of the area to really understand traffic flows right now, and then project them well into the future, and as such, devise a plan that makes sense.

Does anyone expect any minor or major changes when the RTP is finalized in the fall of 08?

Right now, Metrolinx (GTTA) has three responsibilities:

• Propose ways in which transit can be improved by proposing "quick win" investments that are relatively inexpensive, regional in scope, and can be constructed in 3-5 years.
  • Prioritize the MoveOntario2020 projects.
  • Develope a regional transportation plan which includes all forms of travel, including transit, cycling, walking and driving.

The last point is where I come in. I am sitting on the Regional Transportation Plan Advisory Committee (RTP AC), and my job is to analyze the public comment on the green papers to eventually make up the content of the plan. None of the RTP AC members are sitting politicians, so while the final plan will be approved by the Metrolinx board, the plan is being created by a group of respected individuals from all walks of life. I can assure you that we won't stand for anything that isn't effective and efficient.

As I've said before, I plan to keep everyone on UT up to date on the RTP process. It's the region where we call home and it's critical for everyone to have a say.

Thanks for the info Redrocket, its appreciated.

You really responded to the point I wanted to make, but perhaps didnt communicate well enough. I just wanted to make sure that even though the MoveOntario 2020 projects were announced by the Gov't of Ontario, that the group of experts at Metrolinx would have the final say in what should stay and what should go.

It would just be such a shame to see the Government of Ontario spoon feed the solution to Metrolinx. Thats my worry, I don't want the plan to be restrained at all, give us something very ambitious!

Red Rocket does Metrolinx have the power to change the Sheppard East lrt back to a subway?

Yes, but unless the province was willing to kick in more money, I suspect it would come at the cost of other MoveOntario2020 projects.

Having said that, the 2020 project list is just a guideline and is not law.

Somewhat off topic but the GTTA/GTAA confusion begins:

Stomach bug detains Pearson travellers
Three passengers hospitalized for flu-like symtoms
Jan 08, 2008 10:46 PM
Tamsyn Burgmann
Jackson Hayes

More than 75 passengers returning from Tel Aviv were detained for a number of hours at Pearson airport last night after a few fell ill aboard the flight.

The plane, Air Canada flight 085 from Tel Aviv, landed just after 9 p.m. Tuesday carrying 201 passengers.

Health officials who met the passengers on the ground determined later they were suffering with acute gastroenteritis. Its symptoms include vomiting, nausea and diarrhea.

“It is our standard operating procedure to have health officials meet the aircraft on arrival in cases like this,” said Air Canada representative Angela Mah.

Passengers with symptoms were sent to hospital for assessment and treatment, said Alain Desroches with the Public Health Agency of Canada. Desroches said three people aboard the flight were sick.

However, one passenger said about eight people appeared sick and passengers weren’t met until they reached customs.

“They didn’t tell us anything,” said passenger Matt Coleman of the ordeal. “They totally kept us in the dark.

“They did not separate the sick people from the ones who weren’t sick. We were all just put in a room, given `bunny suits’ and told to stay put.”

Coleman, 19, said sick passengers began “getting feverish and throwing up in the lavatories.”

Some of the passengers on the plane, including those who became sick, were flying with Birthright travel groups: Tour guides that bring young Jewish Americans and Canadians on guided tours though Israel.

Coleman said the members of his party, which was organized by the travel group Oranim, were not the ones who fell ill. He said the ill travellers were with the group with Israel Amplified.

Desroches said emergency responders released 47 passengers with no symptoms and not part of the tour group to pass through customs, further assessing 25 from the same group and three more not part of the group before determining three had to be hospitalized.

Coleman said it was nearly two hours until he was cleared by health officials.

“They just took my temperature and it was regular so I could go.” He added that all the other passengers were allowed to leave with the exception of the original eight.

Attempts to contact the Greater Toronto Transit Authority were not successful.

Stupid Star. They re-branded themselves.

Meanwhile, the GTAA rebranded themselves as Aerolinx.

I actually love the Metrolinx name, however I really hate the website look.

I think its kind of cool there is an "x" in the end. I also really like the slogan: "Linking People to Places".

I don't like either. Metrolinx sounds like and, as proven earlier, is like many names already used in America. "Linking People to Places" seems like another fluffy boring slogan like "People Moving People". Scarborough Mike with his many fantasy posts complete with smiling people pictures and slogans came up with better stuff than Metrolinx.

It's too bad they couldn't just expand the GO Transit brand.

My suggestion for an alternative name:

"Transport for Toronto" - very British and London inspired.

Yes... both better ideas in my opinion.

Back